• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Has anyone actually walked away from Sunset World membership?

giapet27

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fishermen's Village
I reviewed our contract & noted the membership had an expiry date of Dec 31,2020. Thus, with the help of my friend who is a lawyer, even with an addendum that says lifetime membership, the contract has to be valid.
Thus, I wrote to Sunset stating we’re not interested in extending our membership pass Dec 2020 and that we were giving up our vacation rights to the already paid maintenance fees. I sent this letter via UPS in Miami and found out their office already moved! Thus, I resent it to Mexico instead. ( this was in Oct 2020). I also sent them an email stating the same.
Then, on Dec 2020, I got an email about the benefits of paying my membership in advance. So I resent my email again. This has caused us so much stress that we decided to block their email. So far to date, I have not received any letter from them confirming my cancellation. My credit card numbers have changed so they can’t charge me! I do get calls from different cities in the US which I never answer and subsequently, block those numbers.
We thought about blocking the emails too - LOL, but we decided to ignore them to keep an eye on what they were telling us since they only email annually. I think our contract my have the lifetime addendum too so maybe it will expire fairly soon. Glad yours expired. I wonder if our lifetime was also an addendum. I think ours has our son as a beneficiary too, but really, as @Passportout said above, we really don't own anything. It's just a membership. All they can do is cancel our membership. Best wishes!

Patricia9

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fisherman's Sunset Resort, Playa Del Carmen, MX
Update - 2023 and one more year after walking away, no collections, no credit bureau issues. I guess we do receive annual emails stating we owe Sunset our back fees, but to date, my husband has ignored them and that's the only contact we've had from them. BTW - I don't think I mentioned in earlier posts, we reached out to give back our membership in 2020 and Sunset told us if we paid the extra (every five years) maintenance fee, they would take it back and let us out of our contract (verbal). We paid it. Then they refused. So if you walk away, just walk because they lie.
Thank you for the update. Once I finally quit paying them I plan to start a new email address to move all my correspondence to and then eventually close the email address that Sunset has for us.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the update. Once I finally quit paying them I plan to start a new email address to move all my correspondence to and then eventually close the email address that Sunset has for us.

Not sure what that will accomplish other than cause you a lot of headaches notifying others of your new email address.

Your best bet is to just hit the delete button whenever Sunset attempts to contact you. Done!

douglasmhines

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club De Soleil
Garza Blanca
Vidanta GB
Villa Resorts
Marriott Ko Olina
you can always use filters and blocking. I have a yahoo email that i created in the 90s, and by now it seems to be on every spam list out there.

I have my filters setup as follows:

step one, all emails into a "probably spam" folder
step two, selected emails to a folder of proper destination (individual filters for each valid criteria) - this pulls valid emails out of the "probably spam" folder

Granted this is initially a bit of work because you need a filter for what is valid to pull valid emails out of the "probably spam" folder, but once it is setup, it is only minor maintenance to update for emails from new senders that i want to read their emails. Of course Yahoo has it's own spam filter that goes through the emails before anything hits my "probably spam" folder.

Patricia9

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Not sure what that will accomplish other than cause you a lot of headaches notifying others of your new email address.

Your best bet is to just hit the delete button whenever Sunset attempts to contact you. Done!

Patricia9

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
you can always use filters and blocking. I have a yahoo email that i created in the 90s, and by now it seems to be on every spam list out there.

I have my filters setup as follows:

step one, all emails into a "probably spam" folder
step two, selected emails to a folder of proper destination (individual filters for each valid criteria) - this pulls valid emails out of the "probably spam" folder

Granted this is initially a bit of work because you need a filter for what is valid to pull valid emails out of the "probably spam" folder, but once it is setup, it is only minor maintenance to update for emails from new senders that i want to read their emails. Of course Yahoo has it's own spam filter that goes through the emails before anything hits my "probably spam" folder.
I use gmail and it is easy to get things filtered to Spam. This particular email is only used for online accounts and is full of spam now, I've changed emails in the past when that has happened to an email address so doesn't bother me to do it again. I already use a different email for personal stuff. Added benefit to deleting the email address is that Sunsets emails will bounce back to them, that doesn't happen if you filter them. To me a bounced back email is another way of saying "Yes I meant what I said, I'm not interested any more"