• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Has anyone actually learned Spanish using Computerized program?

Wonka

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here actually learned conversational Spanish using a computerized learning program like Rosetta Stone, or Learning Spanish like Crazy?

If so, how long did it take? Are you able to understand and converse well in everyday situations? How well did it work while visiting Mexico.

I think it'd be fun to learn, but I don't want to waste my time and money. I'm kinda old, and it will probably be more difficult for me to learn than someone much younger.

Any input would be appreciated.

SciTchr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rosetta Stone

My aunt and I just bought Rosetta Stone and we are splitting it. The license is good for 2 computers with 5 users per computer. I installed it on my computer and then she will put it on hers. So, that can bring the cost down if you know someone who is interested. Not sure if it will work for us yet.

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've had success with Pimsleur in Spanish, Italian, Greek and Portuguese.
That's not to say I have any sort of fluency, but it's great to go on a trip and be able to speak and understand simple directions, numbers, times, hello, please, goodbye, how much, I'd like, red wine, where is the... and so on.

Pimsleur is 100% audio, which suits my learning style. I listen to the CDs while driving. Generally I have to play a CD three or four times before it all sinks in. So an 8 CD set (16 30-minute lessons) takes about two months to absorb.

I tried Rosetta Stone but my learning style isn't helped by seeing pictures on the screen, and of course you can't use it in a car.

falmouth3

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
My library had Rosetta Stone online and I was about to try it but it wasn't on the home page anymore. I called to ask what happened to it, and they told me that the company decided not to make it available to libraries anymore (perhaps not free, anyway). I guess I waited too long. :bawl: I sure don't want to spend the money on buying it if it won't work for me.

AKFisher

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am currently working on lesson 3 at www.loquella.com

Online lessons are free, downloads to an MP3 player are $49 for about 12 hours.

I can't tell you yet it I'll learn conversational Spanish, but I think it's worth checking out.;)

bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've used Pimsleur for both Spanish and French. It was very helpful in Costa Rica and my last trip to Moorea. I also listened to it in the car on the way to work. Some of the lessons had to be listened to several times and at times give me a headache (hopefully that was those dusty neurons firing). When I was doing the Spanish tapes, I also took an online course which was very helpful. We listened to a 30 minute story (almost a soap opera but not that bad) every week. It really helped to have the Spanish in context. This particular story they traveled from Mexico, Spain, Argentina and then to Puerto Rico, therefore you were exposed to various pronunications and dialects (along w/ the cultural aspect). The quizzes weren't that hard. Having an actual "study schedule" and syllabus forced me to study whereas I may get lazy doing it on my own..:rolleyes:

I actually started on French when I went to Paris and then switched to Spanish. I kept mixing up the two languages. I haven't tried Rosetta Stone but am thinking about it. I had another program I bought from Costco that I loaded on my computer, but wasn't too excited about it.

I suggest you go for it.....besides learning a new language is suppose to help ward off Alzheimers disease!