• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Harborside wifi options

wtrjock

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kaanapali South
Sheraton Vistana Villages Keywest
Thanks everyone. I turned on the ATT international, so that should work. I have an ATT hotspot adapter. Has anyone ever tried to buy a prepaid data card when you get there?

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Thanks everyone. I turned on the ATT international, so that should work. I have an ATT hotspot adapter. Has anyone ever tried to buy a prepaid data card when you get there?

Unless you do not have enough data on your own AT&T data plan there is no need for a prepaid data card.

emeryjre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Make sure you confirm with ATT that your hotspot will work with for you in the Bahamas. I received a big shock when I attempted to use my Iphone as a hotspot with my ATT data. Apparently BTC and aLiv, the two big cellular providers in the Bahamas, did not sign some agreement with ATT. Since the agreement was not signed, I could not use my iphone as a hotspot while in the Bahamas.
Of course ATT did not provide this information willingly. I had to waste an hour of vacation time calling them to attempt to sort out the problem. It was only after 50 minutes of wasted time that someone told customer service that I could use my cellular data on my phone, but I could not hotspot my phone to share my data. Not sure if an ATT Hotspot device will have the same issue, but I would certainly check before arriving in the Bahamas.

wtrjock

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kaanapali South
I am bringing my hotspot device, but not a usa sim card. I was hoping I could get a pre paid Sim card when I get to the island. Is that possible? $20/day for 10 days is going to add up for AT&T on our 2 phones.

emeryjre

TUG Member
Reaction score
check www.bealiv.com That is the cellular carrier "aLiv". They offer mifi unlimited for 30 days for $75.00 . Do not have any more details than that. The other carrier is BTC, but not sure of their plans. I know they offer sim cards but not sure of pricing.

I know that both carriers work at Atlantis, since I had my ATT roaming service provided by both

tperleberg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John and Harborside
Harborside at Atlantis
There is free WiFi in the Harborside lobby. I used it this morning.

stein97

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
none
I know this is old thread but my $0.02.

Family and I have been going to Harborside last 4 years, last trip was this March 14-21 2020. This was the first time my kids were able to use our cell phones for internet. Of course there were no Cruise Ships in port....

Atlantis and Harborside WiFi is like $28 per day, it covers the entire resort.
There are several Free WiFi spots on property. The Royal and Harborside main office are 2 that I know of.
T-mobile says you get 4g but BTC knocks you down to 2g\edge.
Verizon you will need to buy an international plan I believe.

I think I am going to invest in a prepaid SIM card with BTC or aLiv and use a Hotspot device, I read a lot of boaters do this. But I think you need to re-activate the prepaid sim every 6 months or something like that. Otherwise you need to buy a new Sim, when I figure that out I will post about it.

Also note this year we did get free WiFi in Atlantis, its seems their wireless controller was having issues (I'm in "IT"). My daughter found the flaw when the login page would fail to load (I say she "found the flaw", I just think she kept trying to connect to any wifi spot).

We all did the same thing and had WiFi for almost the entire week.

It made my afternoon Covid-19 conference calls more affordable.

wtrjock

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kaanapali South
We were there first week in March and ended up using AT&T international plan on both phones. Our bill was $10/day ea for $190 extra. For a 10 day trip that wasnt too bad considering it was much cheaper that the wifi. The signal was really good everywhere. We were even able to stream our Hopper from home. If we go again, I will go the hotspot route through island hotspot. Need to get the order in weeks before. They were all sold out when I tried to order. $75 a month would be much cheaper. They use the same network that AT&T roamed on so I am sure the service would be fine but much cheaper.

The nice thing about the AT&T international plan is that we had full voice and texting ability too, but for a family that will be really expensive.

stein97

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
none
So with T-mobile I assumed we got throttled in Bahamas since we are international. T-mobile support was a joke, they know you are not going to spend hours troubleshooting on vacation.

I think the way to go is pre-paid SIM or rent a hotspot.

Key point on myislandwifi website:
"Our portable wifi device uses 4G LTE service. Speeds fluctuate depending on the location, and the amount of traffic on the towers"

With 4 cruise ships in the harbor and I assume local Telco throttles all non Bahamian numbers.

I do more investigation after I finalize next year trip.

rog2867

TUG Member
Reaction score
its 10 per day per line just fyi not account. The wifi is horrible there. We used my wife's work phone as a hotspot when we were there worked great.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Is the wifi at Harborside any better these days? When I was there years ago it worked well. Considering a trip there so curious...I don't use ATT, so would prefer to just get the wifi (but it needs to actually work).

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
Is the wifi at Harborside any better these days? When I was there years ago it worked well. Considering a trip there so curious...I don't use ATT, so would prefer to just get the wifi (but it needs to actually work).

I don't know that they made it any better. My experience has been that it really depends on where you are in the building or even the room.

I was there for a few days last fall in the larger 1BR and had decent coverage on the balcony and dining room (good enough for work video meetings), but not in the bedroom.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I wish I could work internationally remote. I can't take my laptop out of the USA or Canada without approval. A coworker once took his and tried to connect to VPN from Grand Cayman and was locked out. Approval apparently isn't easy and how much you can work is determined by where you are going. A woman at work wants to go to another country for a month to see her aging mother. She can go and take the computer, but she will be limited to only being able to work 10 days and likely for a maximum of 2 hours each day. Likely has to do with tax implications.

Last edited:

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I don't know that they made it any better. My experience has been that it really depends on where you are in the building or even the room.

I was there for a few days last fall in the larger 1BR and had decent coverage on the balcony and dining room (good enough for work video meetings), but not in the bedroom.

Thanks

SGould

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was there in February and connected fine using the Atlantis Guest Wi-Fi and was able to stream video. My room was near the pool so maybe that is why I lucked out.