• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Harborside Resort...how strict?

iluvwdw

Reaction score
I have a week I am renting for May this year. It is a 1 bedroom Deluxe Unit. The Max Occupancy is 4. The person I would like to rent to, has 4 children (ages 3,5,7,12). When I called, they said that 5 can be in the room only if one child is in a crib. And her husband MAY or MAY NOT be going with her, so that would be TWO extra!

What do you all think? Should I tell this woman FORGET IT, that they shouldn't bother because there are too many people for the room? When I have gone, I have had people in my room that I never checked in at the front desk, so they didn't even know they were there.

Opinions??

THANKS!

dgriffin7

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would decline.

Regardless of any warnings you give this person, if they are not able to access the property they will present problems for you. This is against the occupancy rules even without the husband.

You also run the risk of their realizing late when you can't rerent that 6 people in a one bedroom will not work for them.

My suggestion is to run, don't walk, from this one.

iluvwdw

Reaction score
Thanks for the info! Actually, if her hubby doesn't go and her little one is in a crib, they said it was fine. (I called Starwood...they said 4 people plus a crib) But if her hubby DOES end up going, then I don't know what would happen!

I guess I might have to find another buyer...oh well!

debraxh

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think it's 4 people plus crib in a deluxe unit because there's not enough space for a rollaway. If the husband went, where would the "extra" child sleep anyway?

Although I would rent to them if I were assured only the 5 would be going, I would be hesitant under these circumstances. If you do decide to go ahead, be sure the maximum occupancy limit is highlighted in your rental agreement and that they're responsible for any repercussions if they exceed the limit.

arlene22

TUG Member
Reaction score
It will not be comfortable, but Harborside will not give you a problem. Think about bringing your own aerobed.

Also, phase one units are larger than phase two units. Do you know which one you have rented?

~Arlene

skim118

TUG Member
Reaction score
iluvwdw said:
Thanks for the info! Actually, if her hubby doesn't go and her little one is in a crib, they said it was fine. (I called Starwood...they said 4 people plus a crib) But if her hubby DOES end up going, then I don't know what would happen!

I guess I might have to find another buyer...oh well!

Are you an owner in Harborside ? Is access to the Atlantis pools controlled by "wrist-bands" that the front-desk will have to provide ?

Sara

mariawolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside
Frenchman’s Cove
The front desk does not hand out the wristbands but I have to say on this last trip when we checked in at the towel/wristband stations throughout the resort they did ask how many wristbands we were getting and seemed to use our cards to note that--I don't know that it matters or not but I think more than 4 + crib would be pretty tight.

arlene22

TUG Member
Reaction score
sharktzu said:
How much does it cost to enter the Atlantis water park if your staying at harborside?

It's included.

arlene22

TUG Member
Reaction score
mariawolf said:
The front desk does not hand out the wristbands but I have to say on this last trip when we checked in at the towel/wristband stations throughout the resort they did ask how many wristbands we were getting and seemed to use our cards to note that--I don't know that it matters or not but I think more than 4 + crib would be pretty tight.

I think your limit here is space, not what Harborside will allow. I recommend that you ask the owner from whom you are renting to request a corner unit. They are larger and you will have more space. The owner should call Starwood now to request it, and also call the front desk one week prior to checkin to request it. That may get you the extra space you need for that one more person.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
arlene22 said:
I think your limit here is space, not what Harborside will allow. I recommend that you ask the owner from whom you are renting to request a corner unit. They are larger and you will have more space. The owner should call Starwood now to request it, and also call the front desk one week prior to checkin to request it. That may get you the extra space you need for that one more person.

The OP is the owner - she is wondering if she wants to rent her week to someone who wants to exceed the number of people allowed in the unit...

skim118

TUG Member
Reaction score
DeniseM said:
The OP is the owner - she is wondering if she wants to rent her week to someone who wants to exceed the number of people allowed in the unit...

The OP is a SVN exchanger into Harborside, according to her posts in December. Does SVN allow rentals on exchanges ?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
skim118 said:
The OP is a SVN exchanger into Harborside, according to her posts in December. Does SVN allow rentals on exchanges ?

Good question - I don't think so.

Last edited:

arlene22

TUG Member
Reaction score
skim118 said:

Oh, you're right. Sorry, misread the post. And I agree, SVN exchangers should not be renting out their exchanged units. It's not fair and it's against the rules. And now that it's been posted on a public forum...

mjs

TUG Member
Reaction score
It may not be fair, but it is not against the rules to rent out SVN exchanges. I would say about 1/2 of the rental son redweek/myresortnetwork for Harborside are exhanges that have already been made, or that they will try to get for you.
Mark

arlene22

TUG Member
Reaction score
mjs said:
It may not be fair, but it is not against the rules to rent out SVN exchanges. I would say about 1/2 of the rental son redweek/myresortnetwork for Harborside are exhanges that have already been made, or that they will try to get for you.
Mark

I was surprised to hear this! When we purchased we were told that SVN exchanges cannot be rented. But when I looked today for the rule prohibiting it, it wasn't there. Should be, but isn't. Thanks for the clarification.

iluvwdw

Reaction score
arlene22 said:
Oh, you're right. Sorry, misread the post. And I agree, SVN exchangers should not be renting out their exchanged units. It's not fair and it's against the rules. And now that it's been posted on a public forum...

I specifically asked Starwood about this when I booked my rooms and there is nothing that states that an exchanger cannot rent out the week. I spoke to them again when I asked about the extra person in the room, and I advised that I was renting it out.

iluvwdw

Reaction score
arlene22 said:
And I agree, SVN exchangers should not be renting out their exchanged units. It's not fair and it's against the rules. And now that it's been posted on a public forum...

I was thinking about this post last night, and I am wondering why it is you feel that way. It is NOT against the rules at all.

Let's compare DVC to SVN. When someone who owns at Saratoga Springs rents points to someone who wants a ressie at BCV. Why is it OK for a DVC member to rent to someone at a resort other than their home resort, and it is not OK for a SVN member? I just don't understand.

I am an Elite member of SVN. I have options just like the rest of you, and I should be able to use them the way I see fit. (I have never rented out an SVN exchange before, and I am not going to make a habit out of it!) I made the reservation for four villas all in my name. My Mother in Law was supposed to come with us and she is having hip surgery, so she can't come. Instead of losing the ressie, I am going to rent it out. Simple, and I don't understand why I shouldn't be able to rent it out. I own options in SVN. Just because it isn't my home resort, doesn't mean I can't rent it out.

If I were exchanging via an EXTERNAL EXCHANGE COMPANY, then I think it would be a TOTALLY different story. But I am not. I am a member of SVN.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kim - I don't think there is anything wrong with what you are doing. You made the Resv. with the intention of using it, and now you can't. You're making the best of the situation.

I WOULD have a problem with someone who bought some cheap mandatory resales and used the options to reserve and rent units at the hard-to-get-into resorts for a profit. Hopefully, that's not feasible, but the post above about Redweek makes me wonder...

iluvwdw

Reaction score
DeniseM said:
Kim - I don't think there is anything wrong with what you are doing. You made the Resv. with the intention of using it, and now you can't. You're making the best of the situation.

I WOULD have a problem with someone who bought some cheap mandatory resales and used the options to reserve and rent units at the hard-to-get-into resorts for a profit. Hopefully, that's not feasible, but the post above about Redweek makes me wonder...

I see your point. I am sure there have been people who have done exactly what you are describing!!! I bought at my resorts to go there, for one, AND to be able to exchange within SVN. Like I said before, I have never rented out an exchange before, and it's not something I will get in the habit of. If I have a unit that I reserve that will go unoccupied and I have no plans of another vacation in the future that year, why not rent it out?

arlene22

TUG Member
Reaction score
iluvwdw said:
I was thinking about this post last night, and I am wondering why it is you feel that way. It is NOT against the rules at all.

I'm sorry if my post sounded too harsh. As I later posted, I was misinformed about the rules. You are correct. There is no rule against it. You explained your circumstances and I don't think there's anything wrong with salvaging a week that you intended to use, but now can't. However, having just paid my $1800 :eek: maintenance fee bill, it bothers me that the opportunity exists for others to exploit the difference in costs among SVN resorts and profit from it in a commercial way. In my mind, that would be an abuse of the system, but again, I do not think what you are doing is an abuse at all.

reddiablosv

TUG Member
Reaction score
DeniseM said:

Been there, done that, and see nothing wrong with it!! I bought a cheap resale SVN mandatory for the main purpose of exchanging into the Harborside. But, I have rented it as well! The year I bought, It came with 81K unused staroptions, which I could not use. I reserved a 2 bedroom lockoff unit at the Harborside during hurricane season and rented it for 2 thousand. It helped pay for my purchase. Why in the world would anyone object to me trying to take the best advantage of my investment. I am entitled to it, I paid for it. How does it harm other SVN owners if I chose to rent my week? Ben

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
reddiablosv said:
Been there, done that, and see nothing wrong with it!! I bought a cheap resale SVN mandatory for the main purpose of exchanging into the Harborside. But, I have rented it as well! The year I bought, It came with 81K unused staroptions, which I could not use. I reserved a 2 bedroom lockoff unit at the Harborside during hurricane season and rented it for 2 thousand. It helped pay for my purchase. Why in the world would anyone object to me trying to take the best advantage of my investment. I am entitled to it, I paid for it. How does it harm other SVN owners if I chose to rent my week? Ben

Harborside can be a difficult exchange, and if owners are making Staroption exchanges for the express purpose of renting the weeks to non-owners, that leaves fewer weeks available to other Starwood owners who want to make Staroptions exchanges and use the week themselves.

reddiablosv

TUG Member
Reaction score
DeniseM said:
Harborside can be a difficult exchange, and if owners are making Staroption exchanges for the express purpose of renting the weeks to non-owners, that leaves fewer weeks available to other Starwood owners who want to make Staroptions exchanges and use the week themselves.

When I called for the exchange there were multiple weeks available. All another owner has to do is call and request an exchange. If they don't take advantage of their ownership why should I not be allowed to take advantage of mine. Phase 11 is far from being sold out at the Harborside. Non school vacation weeks are readily available. It is an easy exchange for SVN owners. I expect this will change in the future as the resort sells out, but for now all SVN owners should feel free to take advantage of the situation. I did not buy at the Harborside precisely because of the high MFs. It seemed that with my flexible schedule that trading in would be the best option for me for the next several years. If you bought from the developer at the Harborside or a resale week at the Harborside, obviously different factors impacted your decision making process. Ben

TheUnitrep

TUG Member
Reaction score
reddiablosv said:
Why in the world would anyone object to me trying to take the best advantage of my investment. I am entitled to it, I paid for it. How does it harm other SVN owners if I chose to rent my week? Ben

Ben --

I completely agree with you!

All SVN owners have the opportunity to exchange into any SVN resort they don't own at the exact same time. You are merely making the effort to secure a reservation (which other owners could have made) and recouping some of your initial investment by turning around and renting it out.

Renting out a unit may not be for everyone, but it is a great benefit of being a timeshare owner.

Jerry