• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Grrrrrr!

Bigrob

TUG Member
Reaction score
So yesterday and today I have been experiencing issues with Wyndham cancelling my reservations. They have been "selective" about what they've cancelled - high demand reservations that I can't get back.

Due to this, I asked for a complete list of reservations that they viewed as "at risk of cancellation". This morning, I found several more reservations that were cancelled, none of which were on the list to be cancelled, and again high demand reservations that I can't get back.

Interestingly enough, the "replaceable" reservations that could be cancelled are not getting cancelled, and yesterday I was told that the reservation I needed was cancelled by owner care (rather than an automated system). So it makes me wonder if there is a list of reservations that owner care can selectively cancel to fill requests for others?

Perhaps more troubling is they can't even find the reservations in their own audit trail that they cancelled today. Extremely frustrating. The Owner Resolution rep I talked to implied it was related to the Aug 3 change regarding multiple reservations and the automation that has been built into the system to cancel the reservations in excess of 10. But there should still be traceability to what is cancelled!

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Are you getting the points restored to your member id?

Or is ALL POINTS GONE .. per the PIGGY memo?

scootr5

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
Even with that, the 10 reservation limit isn't supposed to take effect until October so nothing should be getting cancelled right now, automatically or not.

Bigrob

TUG Member
Reaction score
Even with that, the 10 reservation limit isn't supposed to take effect until October so nothing should be getting cancelled right now, automatically or not.

Right. She said some other things that were wrong also so I'm chalking it up to getting a less experienced OC rep. But not being able to find the reservations that got cancelled - plus getting incorrect information from Owner Care about which ones would be cancelled - is troubling.

Linda - I got some points back but needed the reservation.

I guess my advice to all is - apparently it's better to put a name on without any other information, than to wait for the address. And take snapshots of the reservations (I don't have a recent enough snapshot to help.) UGH.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Were they inside 15 days to check in?

scootr5

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
But not being able to find the reservations that got cancelled - plus getting incorrect information from Owner Care about which ones would be cancelled - is troubling.

Troubling is an understatement.

Bigrob

TUG Member
Reaction score

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have already been printing out a snap of my reservations windows about once a week. Think I will upgrade that activity to twice a week.

Bigrob - did you have 10+ checkin at different resorts on one day?

Or were the missing reservations for UNIQUE units (like a 4 bdr)?

Where they at resorts with a BIG sales group ... where a sales manager has authority to create the new member number? I have figured out SOME sales sites do the backroom updating of the ownership records RIGHT there. Adding points to the account the same day you buy.

Also, it sounds like YOU had not updated the missing reservations with a GUEST's name, right?

Bigrob

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have already been printing out a snap of my reservations windows about once a week. Think I will upgrade that activity to twice a week.

Bigrob - did you have 10+ checkin at different resorts on one day?

Or were the missing reservations for UNIQUE units (like a 4 bdr)?

Where they at resorts with a BIG sales group ... where a sales manager has authority to create the new member number? I have figured out SOME sales sites do the backroom updating of the ownership records RIGHT there. Adding points to the account the same day you buy.

Also, it sounds like YOU had not updated the missing reservations with a GUEST's name, right?

To be clear; I had overlapping reservations inside of 15 days without guest confirmations. It was my own careless oversight as I missed which owner's name I should have put them in.

To follow-up, I did speak late this evening with the same OC rep I had yesterday, and she was much more knowledgeable. She immediately found the note in my account file where the second reservation was deleted (not sure why the first OC rep couldn't find it). And... since she knew she had not alerted me to that one, she also restored the points (although restoring the points is the least of my concerns at this point, as I have a guest who needs the rental).

For those that may be interested, this is what I heard from the senior OC rep I spoke to tonight:

1. The cancellation of reservations is not automatic (I had noticed this and sort of got lulled into complacency about it, I'll admit). The system generates a report but it is up to a couple of people to take action. I can't say for certain, but the action may only be taken if there is a need for the availability. I had other overlapping reservations at resorts that were not sold out that were not cancelled. Not saying you should count on it...

2. While the policy states inside of 15 days, the cancellations don't begin until 12 days before check-in. Again, I am not planning on testing this, but it does seem to correlate to my experience.

3. The Senior OC rep also said to get the guest name entered even without an address. (The first OC rep said to do this and call in and ask to speak to OC to add the address later without an additional GC charge; as long as it's not habitual they would be able to accommodate this).

So... a painful learning experience.

Bigrob

TUG Member
Reaction score
Troubling is an understatement.

Fortunately the senior rep was able to find it immediately. But I wasted an hour on the phone with the other rep today, an hour I didn't really have, and she never did find it.

I realize it ultimately is not Wyndham's responsibility to tell me which reservations are going to be cancelled, that's my own responsibility and I readily admit I failed on this. But since they DID volunteer the information and I acted upon it, they did restore the points. More to the point, the second reservation was cancelled apparently at virtually the same time I was talking to the rep about the first reservation that got cancelled, so I really had no opportunity to save that one anyway.

comicbookman

TUG Member
Reaction score
so, if I am following, all of the reservations that were cancelled, were properly canceled (ie Wyndham followed the published policies). Your complaint is that Wyndham did not supply a complete warning, when they are not required to warn you at all? You admit that the cancellations were due to your own errors, and that Wyndham restored points to your account, when by rule they did not have to. Seems to me that Wyndham did you a favor not a disservice. Or am I missing something?

Bigrob

TUG Member
Reaction score
so, if I am following, all of the reservations that were cancelled, were properly canceled (ie Wyndham followed the published policies). Your complaint is that Wyndham did not supply a complete warning, when they are not required to warn you at all? You admit that the cancellations were due to your own errors, and that Wyndham restored points to your account, when by rule they did not have to. Seems to me that Wyndham did you a favor not a disservice. Or am I missing something?

No, you are not missing anything. I know I was at fault here and they did do me a favor. My "GRR" is really aimed at myself. However, I was frustrated by my first call yesterday, because I had talked to the OC rep the day before and she had been quite specific on what I needed to do, and then the OC rep I spoke to yesterday couldn't find the reservation or where it was cancelled or anything about it. So I was frustrated with Wyndham's response yesterday.

I wasn't posting so much to complain, although it may sound that way, as to inform and hopefully help others learn from my experience.