• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Gratuity Added to Bill

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
As for counters and drive-up windows, I generally don't tip at them at all. I'm not getting any more service from them than a grocery checker, ...
Fern

This reminded me of when I visited my son at Twenty-nine Palms. We went to the supermarket on base. There was a tip jar there for the baggers. Apparently, they worked for tips only--no wage at all. I've never seen that anywhere else.

djs

TUG Member
Reaction score
As far as tipping for pizza delivery, I tend to do $2 or so, but if people are over and we're ordering a few pizzas I'll tip more, or if it's real bad weather as their job is harder then and I appreciate not having to pick it up that much more.

About 20 Years ago I used to work at a resturaunt as a valet parker and my my pay was 100% based on tips. Not legal, but at the same time I'd pull about $10 - $15 an hour on a slow night and on Saturday nights it easily topped $20 an hour. Not bad for an 18 year old college student. Best part was it was all cash. The waitstaff would tell us stories about people paying their bill/tip and one of the party members would say something along the lines of "don't forget to save some for the valet" which would result in a reduced tip for the server.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
If I see that a delivery charge is added to a bill, I assume that the fee goes to the business and not the person delivering it. If a gratuity is added, then I assume that goes to the server/delivery person. If it doesn't the issue is between the employee and their employer, not the employee and me. I don't add extra if a gratuity is included in the total charge.

tlwmkw

Reaction score
How much do you tip the valet parking your car?

I usually avoid using the valet and park myself but some inner city hotels won't let you do that. I always have stress over how much to tip the guy parking the car. What do others do?

djs

TUG Member
Reaction score
I usually avoid using the valet and park myself but some inner city hotels won't let you do that. I always have stress over how much to tip the guy parking the car. What do others do?

When I was doing it, we got anywhere from $0 up to $5 or on rare occasion $10. It should be noted that other than the tip, valet parking was free.

Where I have to pay for parking, I'll tend to tip around $2; I'll tip when the car is returned to me and not when I drop it off.

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I tip $2. when I get my car, and nothing when I drop it off. Once or twice I tipped in, hoping to get the car back sooner when I wouldn't be long, but it didn't help, so I no longer do it.

Fern

Mimi39

TUG Member
Reaction score
How about at the car wash? We get unlimited free washes Monday through Friday at the car dealer where we bought our car. I tip the guy $2.00 before he drives the car through.

Last fall we had an incredible number of leaves in our yard and had our lawn service remove them, they did a great job and my husband gave them $10.00 (the service is billed monthly) and said he and his associate should go have a beer after work -- the guy said "Do you really mean it?" I guess they weren't used to getting tips.

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I just got a new fridge. It included removal of the old one. The way our house is they didn't want to use a dolly, said it would be easier to carry it. They (two guys) removed the freezer door, opened the french doors, and looped carry straps on the bottom of the fridge and over their shoulders. I know it couldn't have been easy, but they did it without a fuss. We tipped them $20., and told them to have lunch on us.

I think $20. is not considered a huge amount for this here. We live in what is considered an upscale master planned community. Not all the homes are expensive, but that is the perception.

I tip the guy who dries my car at the car wash $2. I don't tip going into the wash at all.

Fern

1950bing

Reaction score
Maybe this is the way they do it now, but one thing that I don't like is when I have paid the bill ( cash ) and the wait person comes back and sks if I want any of my change back. Of coarse I do !!!!!!! Let me decide how much to tip. It may less or more than the change I am due but at least let me figure that. I find that almost rude.

geekette

Reaction score
Maybe this is the way they do it now, but one thing that I don't like is when I have paid the bill ( cash ) and the wait person comes back and sks if I want any of my change back. Of coarse I do !!!!!!! Let me decide how much to tip. It may less or more than the change I am due but at least let me figure that. I find that almost rude.

AGREE COMPLETELY!

If I don't say "no change" or "keep the change" then they should just bring me the change. If they are smart (most are) they will bring small bills.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My family and I were at a very nice restaurant before the holidays. The bill was about as much as I would ever pay on a per-person basis. There were five of us. When my bill arrived, I was shocked to see that the restaurant had added an 18% tip.

My plan was to tip 20%, as we had thoroughly enjoyed our dinner. This, however, puzzled me. Why would they add a tip if there were only five of us? (no restaurant.com coupon) I felt that most people dining at this restaurant could easily figure out how much to tip, and would probably do so adequately. The patrons most likely were not unintelligent, so why do this? I was somewhat insulted.

Anyhow, I signed the ticked, and the wait staff missed out on 2%.