• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

wakesurfer

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MGV 2BR Gold
I will be closing on a Grande Vista 2BR Gold FC timeshare (my first one) soon. I've read a lot on the forums and wanted to see what others thought. My goal for 2023 is to go to Ocean Pointe week 25 (June gold season) and Westin Kierland week 44 (Nov platinum season). Need a 1 bedroom minimum both times but prefer 2. I don't know what will be left in 2023 at MGV once I close on my TS. But is this realistic to get both of these properties if I book at good week in 2023? I was hoping to FC Ocean Pointe because I was purchasing a Grand Chateau as well to cover Westin Kierland, but that didn't pass ROFR so I may have to just split up my MGV now.

Red elephant

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WSJ
Harborside
Nanea
SDO
SVV
SBP
I will be closing on a Grande Vista 2BR Gold FC timeshare (my first one) soon. I've read a lot on the forums and wanted to see what others thought. My goal for 2023 is to go to Ocean Pointe week 25 (June gold season) and Westin Kierland week 44 (Nov platinum season). Need a 1 bedroom minimum both times but prefer 2. I don't know what will be left in 2023 at MGV once I close on my TS. But is this realistic to get both of these properties if I book at good week in 2023? I was hoping to FC Ocean Pointe because I was purchasing a Grand Chateau as well to cover Westin Kierland, but that didn't pass ROFR so I may have to just split up my MGV now.
Westin Kierland has ROFR? I thought most of 2023 good weeks are gone? sorry no answers for you.

Mroze

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MKO,MRD,MCV,DCP
WKV,WNA
HYS,HYN,HYB
Westin Kierland has ROFR? I thought most of 2023 good weeks are gone? sorry no answers for you.
It looks like the OP was referring to the Grand Chateau purchase that did not pass ROFR.

"I was purchasing a Grand Chateau as well to cover Westin Kierland, but that didn't pass ROFR"

jwalk03

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score

June is typically an easier trade for Ocean Pointe but your coming in late to the party now for a 2023 exchange. Especially if you haven’t even closed yet? Once the closing is completed and sent to Marriott it takes another ~60 days for the week to be available in your account. So it will be January before you can even make a reservation to deposit and trade.

My guess would be by January that all the May gold weeks will be gone and you will have to book whatever the best available fall week is. Plus May would be really close for an Interval deposit anyway and would reduce your trade power.

Last edited:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Many years ago, Vistana (Starwood) used to deposit 2BRs into II for pretty much all of their resorts. They stopped depositing 2BR around the time of ILG acquisition of Vistana. However, last year, some 2BRs at some resorts were being deposited in shoulder season. Westin Mission Hills and Desert Willow had a bunch of 2BR deposits from summer to Feb 2023. I didn't see Westin Kierland 2BR deposits, but it does not mean that there weren't.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Kierland summer weeks (including 2bd units) are regularly available as Getaways at very low prices, cheaper than exchanging. I don't know if they deposit week 44 units as Getaways (week 44 is shoulder season, not platinum season, although that week does tend towards good weather). Check it out next spring when weeks get released to Interval as Getaways. If they do, the price is the best you will find and there will probably be 2bd units,

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
I have MGV gold weeks. The best week to book is week 21 which is mostly likely off the table now. It trades just under my platinum Orlando weeks.

In your situation I would look to book anything close to July 4th at Ocean Pointe using Florida Club and trade with that one. Week 26 would be best and you can start booking that right around January 1st. Weeks 27/28/29 would be next in line. Those mid-TDI July weeks at OP trade pretty well in my experience.

Trading into Ocean Pointe in June is pretty easy...I have no idea about WKV. Flexibility in check out date is key (in all trading, really).

Good luck!

wakesurfer

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MGV 2BR Gold
Trading into Ocean Pointe in June is pretty easy...I have no idea about WKV. Flexibility in check out date is key (in all trading, really).

Good luck!

So I really want 6/23 - 6/30 at OP, but I want to get 2 trips out of my TS. Trying to understand everything without having an Interval account yet. Is this what I would do?

Book 2 BR at OP through FC for 7/1 - 7/8. Lock this off as a 1 BR & Studio and trade, then attempt to book a 1 or 2 BR at OP for 6/23 - 6/30 and a 1 or 2 BR at Westin Kierland in November?

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
So I really want 6/23 - 6/30 at OP, but I want to get 2 trips out of my TS. Trying to understand everything without having an Interval account yet. Is this what I would do?

Book 2 BR at OP through FC for 7/1 - 7/8. Lock this off as a 1 BR & Studio and trade, then attempt to book a 1 or 2 BR at OP for 6/23 - 6/30 and a 1 or 2 BR at Westin Kierland in November?
I’m not in the Florida club so I can’t help with those logistics. I know there is a good document in the weeks stickies that could be helpful to you.
I thought you were saying you want to do a Florida club booking for the week you want to stay at OP with the 1br side of your grande vista and then deposit the studio into II for exchange to Westin. Confused about the mention of 7/1 when you want 6/23 and wonder why you are not booking the week you want or is that not gold season? Not sure if you would be better off just depositing your GV pieces into II to trade both rather than waiting for the 6 month Florida club mark?
In any case once deposited you should immediately place your requests.
There is a video on how to do this in the general discussion section of the II community or you can just call II and have them place the requests. If you need an exact date you need to call II and have them limit your check in date.
You will need to indicate what size unit you will accept in trade and pay $99 per step to upsize if a unit is available and you have enough trading power with your smaller unit to secure it.

Last edited:

jwalk03

TUG Member
Reaction score

i think it’s unlikely you will get July 4th week. That’s the highest demand gold week at OP- so it’s difficult to get at 6 months out. So you will likely have to book the week before or after July 4th. You can book a 2BR and then call and lockoff or you can just book the 1BR and the studio separately online and save yourself having to call. If you do it online you will be charged the $90 lockoff fee on the first reservation and no fee on the second one.

honestly if you don’t need the 2BR at OP why not just book the 1BR for the week you want and not trade? Will save yourself the exchange fee that way- and eliminate the uncertainty of trading.

It’s very unlikely you can get a 2BR Westin Kierland. They typically deposit the 1BR and studios separately so I would definitely set your ongoing search to allow a 1BR match for the best chance.

wakesurfer

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MGV 2BR Gold
honestly if you don’t need the 2BR at OP why not just book the 1BR for the week you want and not trade? Will save yourself the exchange fee that way- and eliminate the uncertainty of trading.

It’s very unlikely you can get a 2BR Westin Kierland. They typically deposit the 1BR and studios separately so I would definitely set your ongoing search to allow a 1BR match for the best chance.

Ok I think I understand now. So when I’m in Marriott VC making my reservations, at that point I can lock off and just book a 1 bedroom at OP for the actual date I want. Then I can book my studio room at my home resort or a different Florida club hotel for a high demand week and use it as a trader for Westin Kierland. Is that how it works? Thanks too PampleMousse as well, your post was helpful!

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok I think I understand now. So when I’m in Marriott VC making my reservations, at that point I can lock off and just book a 1 bedroom at OP for the actual date I want. Then I can book my studio room at my home resort or a different Florida club hotel for a high demand week and use it as a trader for Westin Kierland. Is that how it works? Thanks too PampleMousse as well, your post was helpful!
Yes sounds like you have a workable plan now- the benefit to Florida club is booking direct without needing to exchange through II so if you can do 1br there try to book that with FC and if you cant get your dates you can request on II.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
As long as you are flexible, it is an easy trade into 1BR at Kierland in Nov. I haven't checked when is Week 44. I go there every other year but with Star Options. I see WKV in II pretty much all through summer and fall.

jwalk03

TUG Member
Reaction score

yes exactly. As long as the week you want is available at OP I would just book it using the Florida club option and then book the studio and deposit it to II and trade for the Westin Kierland week you need.