• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Grande Ocean Pool Bar Jim announcement

disneymom1

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Ocean, Marriott Surfwatch, Marriott Manor Club Sequel
Posted on Facebook on MVC Grande Ocean

"Exciting things are happening this week at the resort and Pool Bar Jim's! Stay tuned for more details!"

https://www.facebook.com/MarriottsGrandeOcean/?fref=nf

I wish I could post the photo, but here is the link to the Facebook page. There is a photo of what looks like the bar area with the bar removed.

Remodel?

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club (x2)
Just a remodel. Though, given that he has talked about retiring for so long now that I have to assume it may actually happen in the next few years.

Last edited:

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
I hope it's a remodel. He's been talking about retiring for so long now that it'll eventually happen (hope that's not the case here, though I doubt Marriott would ever post something 'exciting' if it were).

Its a remodel. Was talking to him about it when I was there in October. He had mixed feelings as he said he has been in that existing configuration for so long, he knew where everything was, how far to reach for this and for that. That said, a brand spanking new bar did have some appeal.

I think the driving force is the new sales center across the street. The tour folks will be taken out of the sales center, walked down the street in the direction of Sea Pines, cross the street and use the public beach access just past PBJ's, walk along the newly constructed boardwalk on the ocean side of PBJ's until they get to the center of GO, then up through the middle of GO and out the front exit back to the sales center. My gut tells me they wanted PBJ's to stand out as it will be the first thing prospective point buyers will see on that tour.

Last edited:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Its a remodel. Was talking to him about it when I was there in October. He had mixed feelings as he said he has been in that existing configuration for so long, he knew where everything was, how far to reach for this and for that. That said, a brand spanking new bar did have some appeal.

I think the driving force is the new sales center across the street. The tour folks will be taken out of the sales center, walked down the street in the direction of Sea Pines, cross the street and use the public beach access just past PBJ's, walk along the newly constructed boardwalk on the ocean side of PBJ's until they get to the center of GO, then up through the middle of GO and out the front exit back to the sales center. My gut tells me they wanted PBJ's to stand out as it will be the first thing prospective point buyers will see on that tour.

Yep. Also worth considering is the new HGVC Sea Oak timeshares being built on the adjacent Adventure Inn site. The newly-remodeled GO frontage along the beach will definitely attract some of the folks who are considering HGVC.

Barony's remodel/move of their beachfront bar is a really nice upgrade in service and food offerings. If GO's follows suit the owners should be very happy.

Last edited:

disneymom1

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Makes total sense!! Convince prospective HGVC owners to buy Marriott DC points instead.

There was some speculation on Facebook that Pool Bar Jim was retiring, but Marriott confirmed he is not retiring, just rebuilding the bar.

Can't wait to see the new bar in August!

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
During the Owners Meeting this week in the Crow's Nest the GM told us one of the items our COA negotiated with Marriott was the route that will be used by the sales staff. The driving force behind the route was to keep the intrusion on guests' relaxation to a minimum. Walking and talking on the walk is supposed to take approximately 20 mins. It's the hope that most sales people won't want to spend 20 mins. of their precious sales time walking around the property in their starched shirts.

Before the sales office was moved to Oceana Palms I found it annoying to watch sales staff walking customers through the lounges by the pools. It always brought up a stir of talk from people in the pool.

The old bar was built by Jim and is his. He will be taking the pieces that are dismantled.

WBP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jim has added tremendously to the wonderful ambiance of Grande Ocean.

In my opinion, he is as much a gentleman, as he is concontioneer, and ambassador for Marriott and Grande Ocean.

Jim, and his establishment, are legends of their own right; one can only hope that there is a successor, capable of carrying out the magic that Jim has created for more than 20 years.

Davey54321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Will there be a (completed) Pool Bar Jims by April 2016?

We will be visiting Grand Ocean for the first time in early April and I really was looking forward to meeting Jim (and spending some time there) as I have heard (and read) so much about him/it!
Vicki

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
We will be visiting Grand Ocean for the first time in early April and I really was looking forward to meeting Jim (and spending some time there) as I have heard (and read) so much about him/it!
Vicki

Yes it'll definitely be finished by then.

Wife is headed to GO today with her best girlfriend, and I'll join them along with the girlfriend's husband on Thursday (we work!), and will report back from the scene of the crime with the timeline update .

From what I've heard via the front desk, the outer structure is supposed to be complete within a few days, and the rest will happen fast. He typically opens in March, so nothing will be operational until then anyway.

I'm sure Jim is excited to see the improvements-----last summer he pulled out the new deck blueprints to show us, and was ecstatic about that. We've known him a long time, even tailgating together a couple of times in Athens, Ga for UGA football when his son was a student there about 5 years back.

We'll be there again in February for 2 weeks, a week in early April, and 4 weeks in June. Pool Bar Jim's is quite the busy hangout, and Jim is a prince of a guy.

Last edited:

DannyMc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Royal Palms, Orlando; Marriott's Grande Ocean, HHI; Marriott's Barony Beach Club, HHI;
MVC Trust Points
The new bar was in place yesterday. Whereas, the old bar was square in shape, the new one is a rectangle with more counter space and sinks inside and many more stools around the bar.

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If anyone's currently there, feel free to post a picture or two...

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
If anyone's currently there, feel free to post a picture or two...

We're here.......

Basic outer structure is up, but long way to go for completion.
Solid white windows open UP to provide shade over stools.
PBJ doesn't open until March anyway.

SCROLL RIGHT TO SEE ENTIRE PHOTO!!!!

IMG_5078_zpspdwr0avq.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_5077_zpsrablyglu.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_5076_zpstsbde8ik.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_5075_zpsq8d6jlki.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_5074_zpsgqlmtnsk.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks, jme! I'm excited to see that the bar is significantly larger now, so we'll have fewer problems snagging a chair.

disneymom1

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for sharing the photos! Do you think this is a big improvement over the previous bar? From the photos, I am undecided if I like the grey color.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Thanks for sharing the photos! Do you think this is a big improvement over the previous bar? From the photos, I am undecided if I like the grey color.

Not my favorite, but maybe it'll look much better when finished.

The old one was really small, had few chairs, and was not so beautiful either, only functional.

But I'll get used to it and it'll be fine.....and very busy!

disneymom1

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks! It looks bigger. Looks like you can see the old footprint in the concrete.

Are the villas on the dolphin pool side all getting rehabbed this winter?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Thanks for posting the pictures Marty. We have never been to Grand Ocean, but we might make it one day if I can talk my wife in to going back to HHI.

It looks like an awkward construction. Almost like it is a modular unit/mobile home that has been converted to a bar? part of it is under other overhangs and overhead cover. Why not build something that is built in to the surrounding structures? I am not trying to be critical, but it almost looks like a temporary structure. Was the prior bar similar in that regard?

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
I don't know what I think, other than it looks less like Barony Beach's new bar/grille (which I love) and more like SurfWatch's (which fits that space but isn't my favorite design.) Will have to get over to GO and see it when it's done.

Yes, thanks for the pics, Marty! I hear you had monsoons yesterday, the storm we had overnight/this morning. Hope it's all clear now?

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
It looks like an awkward construction. Almost like it is a modular unit/mobile home that has been converted to a bar?

My first thought exactly. Hopefully its very functional for PBJ, as it certainly appears they were thinking function over form.

That said, hopefully it takes on a better look when the windows are all folded up and a nice blended drink adorns your hand!!

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
My first thought exactly. Hopefully its very functional for PBJ, as it certainly appears they were thinking function over form.

That said, hopefully it takes on a better look when the windows are all folded up and a nice blended drink adorns your hand!!

Anything looks better with a blended drink in hand :ignore::eek:

TRAVELING FOOL

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just came back from checking out the new bar area. So very quiet and much different feel in the off season. Doesn't seem like the same place. They even had the pool near there drained for repairs.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Thanks for posting the pictures Marty. We have never been to Grand Ocean, but we might make it one day if I can talk my wife in to going back to HHI.

It looks like an awkward construction. [INSERTED by jme: Yes, it is]
Almost like it is a modular unit/mobile home that has been converted to a bar? part of it is under other overhangs and overhead cover. [No, it's separate, not covered.]
Why not build something that is built in to the surrounding structures? I am not trying to be critical, but it almost looks like a temporary structure. Was the prior bar similar in that regard? [They wanted to, but it must be "removable"---see below]

There is a reason for all that mentioned above. Every new endeavor undertaken at any HH resort property necessarily requires adherence to standing island codes.
HH Island has a strict code which states that any type of "bar" (a "bar-only" endeavor, that is) must be removable, therefore on wheels, as this one will be.

Barony's is more of a short-order grill which obviously serves food as well as drinks, all served by Marriott employees, hence the loophole around the "removable" code. They were able therefore to build a much bigger "immovable" structure, which they needed anyway!

Pool Bar Jim owns the structure at GO (not Marriott) and has and will continue to operate the bar as an individual sole proprietor, as contracted for many years, and he won't ever be serving any type of food from there. There is already a grill within 30 yards, the Dolphin Grille, which is a nice, permanent structure owned and operated by Marriott employees.

There will also be at least one additional non-permanent covered serving cart for beer, etc after March (not sure on exact details of that) farther down the front of the property.

Pool Bar Jim has a unique thing going, and nobody, including Marriott, wants to mess with that. Jim is an island legend and very popular, and Marriott knows it.
I happen to like that arrangement----- imho a much better thing than at ANY other Marriott resort anywhere.

EDIT 1/17/16: I had heard this past week from another owner (whom I did not know) that Pool Bar Jim owned the bar structure (I didn't think it was right when I heard it, but wanted to confirm), but that is NOT correct, Marriott owns it. Today before leaving GO I made a call to an official Marriott source at the resort to confirm, and the bar is definitely owned by Marriott. All of the other information mentioned above is correct, though.

Last edited: