• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Grande Ocean Dolphin Pool construction [Oct '21 Start Delayed] [MERGED]

jd2601

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I saw a post that mentioned the Grande Ocean Dolphin Pool will be closed to construct a Lazy River. Marriott Vacation Club web site does state state that the Dolphin Pool will be closed from October 2021 through June 2022. Has anyone heard of construction of a Lazy River at Grande Ocean? If this might be true? Thanks, jd2601

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Funny that you mention this. I actually made a video about a lazy river at Grande Ocean based on my observations while we were there in December. Though it was on the north side of the resort. Haven't seen anything mentioned about a lazy river at the Dolphin Pool.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
I saw a post that mentioned the Grande Ocean Dolphin Pool will be closed to construct a Lazy River. Marriott Vacation Club web site does state state that the Dolphin Pool will be closed from October 2021 through June 2022. Has anyone heard of construction of a Lazy River at Grande Ocean? If this might be true? Thanks, jd2601

EDITED:
It is true that renovations to the Dolphin Pool (South side of GO) will be started later this year, but I'm still not sure exactly what that entails
and what will transpire.
I will talk to someone higher up later this morning when I get a call-back, and will then pass on the information.
I'd prefer to hear it first-hand from someone who knows, so that rumors don't fly.
The front desk people are not exactly sure yet---I've asked two people so far.

I have also heard speculation a couple of months ago that the North side (Lagoon side) "would be the ideal spot for a Lazy River", but again,
that's not a plan on paper yet...........so I'm not sure if that is true or not as it relates to THE spot where the Lazy River will go.
The two sides of the resort have been involved in discussions over the past 2 years, but I've never heard definitive plans.
I should know more soon.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
It is true.
I called the front desk manager to confirm (I had heard rumors too), and she said YES.
It won't begin until later this year but the big Dolphin Pool on the South side will become a Lazy River.
Haven't seen the plan or proposed landscaping etc, but will as soon as it's available.
Not quite sure how I feel about it, but we'll see.
They must have seen my video!

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Agree with dioxide, the lagoon would have been a great lazy river….but not sure I would want to be staying there when they dredged up all the muck that must be at the bottom of that lagoon to convert it now. I’m sure the smell would be a bit overpowering.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
They must have seen my video!

After calling someone at GO, I amended my post above .......I'm hearing two different scenarios now, and will seek clarification from higher up
later this morning.
So please grab a float and hold on.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
After calling someone at GO, I amended my post above .......I'm hearing two different scenarios now, and will seek clarification from higher up
later this morning.
So please grab a float and hold on.
I already had my float inflated and sunscreen on, you can't change the story now....

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Talked to someone this afternoon with highest authority at MGO regarding the proposed "Lazy River" construction supposedly
beginning later this year,
and learned that the final timing and plans have not been officially released,
but that the overall determination to proceed with the "renovation of the current Dolphin Pool" on the MGO South side is ON.

Note: It's more than a "Lazy River"---- it's the total renovation of the Dolphin Pool area,
with the ADDITION of a "Lazy River" as only one feature among several others.
And that's different than simply saying "they're doing a Lazy River". So just wanted to clarify that the renovation will be greater in scope than what we thought. BTW, that Dolphin Pool area is quite large already, and has been the favorite pool for most everyone over the past 22 years.
I'm definitely excited to hear about the changes, and looking forward to my GRANDCHILDREN spending a lot of time there,
as my children did when they were growing up. They were "raised at the Dolphin Pool", you might say.

It was stated by my contact at GO that it will be a "major improvement" (after 2 decades of being an already awesome pool!).
Not clear (and it wasn't divulged, nor did I ask) how it will be integrated into or around the pool proper,
but it was said that "it will be welcomed".
There will definitely be a "zero entry" involved, and more. The project was already generally mentioned in a report issued earlier in the year,
and also at a recent Owners' Meeting, but nowhere were full details released.

One other point had particular emphasis--- and it was that this new renovation project would NOT take place on the North side of the resort
where the lagoon is located, but would be restricted to the South side. That caught a few by surprise, as the lagoon was sometimes seen
as the appropriate area to do a Lazy River and thus eliminate the lagoon complex altogether.
Frankly I'm elated about that because we happen to adore the North side with its quiet, shady vibe.
The lagoon is unique, and we have many, many wonderful memories of that North side,
and continue to enjoy staying there during certain seasons.

Hey, GO has had an illustrious history of making great and meaningful changes and additions to the existing property
going back more than two decades, so the trend continues. As I've said many times, it only gets better there.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Talked to someone this afternoon with highest authority at MGO regarding the proposed "Lazy River" construction supposedly
beginning later this year,
and learned that the final timing and plans have not been officially released,
but that the overall determination to proceed with the "renovation of the current Dolphin Pool" on the MGO South side is ON.

It was stated that it will be a "major improvement" (after 22 years of being an already wonderful pool!)
and will include several new features, including a portion for the rumored Lazy River.
Not clear (and it wasn't divulged, nor did I ask) how it will be integrated into or around the pool, but it was said that "it will be welcomed".
There will definitely be a "zero entry" involved, and more. The project was already generally mentioned in a report issued earlier in the year,
and also at a recent Owners' Meeting, but nowhere were full details released.

The one thing emphasized was that this new renovation project would NOT take place on the North side of the resort
where the lagoon is located, but would be restricted to the South side.
Hey, GO has had an illustrious history of making great and meaningful changes and additions to the existing property
going back more than two decades, so the trend continues. As I've said many times, it only gets better there.
I wonder if any plans or permits have been filed yet with the county? I couldn't find a way to look up permits or drawings on the county website.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
This appears to be an exciting improvement for the resort. It appears the pool area will be under construction for an extended period of time, so I wonder how everyone can be accommodated at the other pool areas.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
This appears to be an exciting improvement for the resort. It appears the pool area will be under construction for an extended period of time, so I wonder how everyone can be accommodated at the other pool areas.
Seems much of it will happen in the off season. There weren't many people around the pools when we were there in December. Perhaps the only issue will be the April to June timeframe in 2022.

Reactions: jme

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
The ocean?

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Seems much of it will happen in the off season. There weren't many people around the pools when we were there in December. Perhaps the only issue will be the April to June timeframe in 2022.

The Dolphin Pool is not heated, but the large adjacent South Pool is (near the bar), so that will pick up the slack if any is there.
During the so-called "off season" (which is really a misnomer for GO because it's very busy EVERY month of the year...even Jan and Feb)
there is never much activity in the Dolphin Pool anyway, except people sitting around the periphery reading and sunning, but never swimming.
If they're swimming anywhere, it's 40 feet away at the heated South Pool, or they're using the many hot tubs scattered around the property, or the indoor pool.

Over the last 5-10 years I've seen proof that Hilton Head in general, and GO in particular, have no "off season".
The island is busier and busier every year, and we have met so many dozens of people who come down from NJ, PA, NY, OH, CT, MA, etc
to stay 2-3 months at GO. We make it a point to go 2 weeks in Jan and 2 weeks in Feb, and we have become great friends with
that snow-bird crowd. We all do so much together...many planned and/or impromptu activities, dining out, get-togethers, tennis clinics, etc, etc.
We LOVE being there at HH during those times (using "extra" weeks), as much if not more than our six "real" ownership weeks in Spring and Summer.

jd2601

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The Dolphin Pool is not heated, but the large adjacent South Pool is (near the bar), so that will pick up the slack if any is there.

I do hope they heat the pool area with this renovation. This would extend use of this feature pool area into some of the shoulder season at least spring and fall. A renovation would enhance this great resort even more!

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
It simply sounds like another Marriott pet project to me to help Marriott's bottom line. Remember, all upgrades, improvements and renovations include the 10% Marriott management fee. They spent millions of dollars at Grande Vista installing exterior corridor tile floors. Something that probably could have been done for quite a bit less using a different material. They also installed towel folding machines and towel tracking devices that don't track much of anything. So far I haven't seen any cost savings from these devices, but sure enough, 10% of the costs go to Marriott Vacation Club. Marriott won't be footing any of the bill for improvements at a sold out resort, it will all have to come out of the reserve fund.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was at Surf Watch Jan 15-Feb15 this year and the pool near the beach was closed for refurbishing the pool deck area. It really wasn't a major issue because there were only a few days warm enough for us snowbirds to sit by the pool, and only a few diehards swam in the other heated pool. This project was done before March and the pool was open when I returned May 1. Noise wasn't an issue because there were no buildings close to where the work was being done. I was surprised that additional rest rooms weren't added during the refurbishment because there are only 3 toilets available for those at this pool, the beach, and the oceanside bar/restaurant. There were long lines during the afternoons I was there.

The Dolphin pool project appears to be extensive and involves major reconstruction of the pool itself. I would expect it will be a lot noisier and out of commission for an extended period of time. I would think this will be a major inconvenience for guests, especially March through June. I would choose another HH resort during the construction, but I'm sure it will be worth the sacrifice.

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean

Hey Marty, thanks for the info you found out about this project.
Any chance that Pool Bar Jim will be back??
Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was at Surf Watch Jan 15-Feb15 this year and the pool near the beach was closed for refurbishing the pool deck area. It really wasn't a major issue because there were only a few days warm enough for us snowbirds to sit by the pool, and only a few diehards swam in the other heated pool. This project was done before March and the pool was open when I returned May 1. Noise wasn't an issue because there were no buildings close to where the work was being done. I was surprised that additional rest rooms weren't added during the refurbishment because there are only 3 toilets available for those at this pool, the beach, and the oceanside bar/restaurant. There were long lines during the afternoons I was there.

The Dolphin pool project appears to be extensive and involves major reconstruction of the pool itself. I would expect it will be a lot noisier and out of commission for an extended period of time. I would think this will be a major inconvenience for guests, especially March through June. I would choose another HH resort during the construction, but I'm sure it will be worth the sacrifice.
Given the location within the circle of buildings I'm sure there will be quite the noise at times. Just requesting the other side of the property should limit the noise but I would probably chose the other 2 of the "Big 3" during this time.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Hey Marty, thanks for the info you found out about this project.
Any chance that Pool Bar Jim will be back??
Brian
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sadly, as you probably know, that story is history. Owners were overwhelmingly opposed to Pool Bar Jim's leaving,
and it certainly left a huge void which has yet to be filled. And it will never be what it was----Pool Bar Jim's talents were
evident in everything he did, and his personality was a huge draw. He knew many of his customers on a first name basis,
and always acknowledged them. We have many photos of Jim over the years, as he was such a big part of our resort enjoyment.
He knew our kids, and knew that they liked the non-alcoholic Black Knights.

He set up shop down the beach at the Sea Crest, and we walk over there occasionally, but although he's happy,
the atmosphere there isn't the same. The bar at MGO will never be as successful or as crowded as it was (or bring in as much money),
and sadly it'll never be as FUN as it was. It was the general manager's decision, and he was determined to see him gone. Sad indeed.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
I do hope they heat the pool area with this renovation. This would extend use of this feature pool area into some of the shoulder season at least spring and fall. A renovation would enhance this great resort even more!

I agree.

Email the Grande Ocean general manager and tell him. Masssimo.Santangelo@vacationclub.com
...........and anyone else, do the same!

disneymom1

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Ocean, Marriott Surfwatch, Marriott Manor Club Sequel
Excited about the GO pool renovation! I heard there is a photo of the renovation on the MGO TV.
Can someone please take a photo and post?
Thank you!

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is awesome. I'd love to see the Monarch redo their main pool.

needvaca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MGO, WKV, SVV Bella
Beautiful. but still no waterslide? bummer. kids love waterslides