• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Grand Wailea

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have one extra night on the back end of our Maui trip in two weeks and we usually like to try one night in a luxury resort. In the past it was the Hyatt next door to the Marriott because we liked the pool but this year we thought we'd tried the Grand Wailea because they are said to have the very best pools on Maui.

Surprised to see quite a few complaints on Tripadvisor.com and I'm wondering if any TUGGERS have some first hand experiences with the Grand Wailea.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I've only had experience with their spa. Oh my gosh!!!! We're going to use it again when we are there next month. Incredible experience. Sorry I can't help more with ther resort.

What kind of negative comments were you finding?

PrettyKitties

TUG Member
Reaction score
Most people's complaints with GW is that they nickel & dime you & the level of service is not consistent with the price. I stayed there a couple of years ago & we enjoyed our stay. It'll probably be worth to stay a day to experience the pools.

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I went back and looked at the reviews. As I've found with most places, you get some that are wonderful, and some where people have problems. Somehow it seems the more expensive the hotel, the more they nickel and dime you for everything. It was still rated #4 in Wailea.

Last edited:

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Lovely hotel, but some of the rooms are a bit dated. Great spa, though!

Fletcher921

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Mission Hills, CA;
Los Abrigados, AZ;
The Whaler, HI;
Playa Del Sol Costa Sur, MX;
Westgate Park City, UT
Lovely grounds - but the pool is much to busy and crowded for me. Kids LOVE it though. All the 'extra's" there are pricey too. A bagel and a cup of coffee was over $10 as I recall in the little convenience store.

Stay at the Four Seasons and go to the Spa at the Grand Wailea. Hawaiian Airlines usually has a coupon for their spa - a two-fer type deal.

Niort

Reaction score
Go GO GW!

If you have kids, you have to check out the GW. My son loves the pool slides. Two slides are large and fast, and four other smaller slides flow into each other, one after another and then drop you in a lazy river. There is also a rope swing and a water elevator. The swim up bar produces frozen kiddie cocktails and milkshakes. The beach is great too, as is the spa. Yes it's expensive and since Hilton took over, the prices are up and the quality of service has gone down a bit, but if you have the opportunity you have to try it. For Adults, the Four Seasons might be better, but if you have children with you take them to the GW and they'll never forget it. :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

PS if your only staying one night, arrive early in the day so you have two days by the pool.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We did stay at the GW and absolutely loved it. Spent $475 for standard room but also put in for upgrade if available for $129 and so glad we did that because we were upgraded to the top floor OF with concierge access.

Well worth the money in my book. The pools and slides are amazing and the beaches top notch. Enjoyed the concierge level amenties like the continental breakfast and free cocktails and apps.

We were able to check in by 10am and we stayed past 3 pm the next day so it was like getting 2 days for 1. We want to make it part of our Maui routine from now on. May try the Four Seasons but when checking cost they were crazy expensive vs. just expensive for GW.

hypnotiq

TUG Member
Reaction score
We did stay at the GW and absolutely loved it. Spent $475 for standard room but also put in for upgrade if available for $129 and so glad we did that because we were upgraded to the top floor OF with concierge access.

Well worth the money in my book. The pools and slides are amazing and the beaches top notch. Enjoyed the concierge level amenties like the continental breakfast and free cocktails and apps.

We were able to check in by 10am and we stayed past 3 pm the next day so it was like getting 2 days for 1. We want to make it part of our Maui routine from now on. May try the Four Seasons but when checking cost they were crazy expensive vs. just expensive for GW.

Did you book through the GW site? Im thinking of tacking on a day between our stay @ WKORVN and our stay @ VGC.

I didn't see the $129 upgrade if available option on the GW site.

-Nico

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Did you book through the GW site? Im thinking of tacking on a day between our stay @ WKORVN and our stay @ VGC.

I didn't see the $129 upgrade if available option on the GW site.

-Nico

Yes I did. It seemed to be offered after I hit the "Buy" button so you may have to commit to the room before its offered. You can always cancel so see if that works and let me know.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Now that I think about it, we didn't know we were upgraded until we arrived so that may be the case where its a last minute confirmation if a room is available. At purchase it asks you "Do you want to upgrade if available for $129." so its not like you get immediate confirmation as I now recall.

hypnotiq

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes I did. It seemed to be offered after I hit the "Buy" button so you may have to commit to the room before its offered. You can always cancel so see if that works and let me know.

Thanks. I didn't go through the checkout process completely, so that's probably why I didn't see it.

Waiting to see if my gf parents confirm they are coming with us to WKORVN before I book the GW. :)

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I didn't go through the checkout process completely, so that's probably why I didn't see it.

Waiting to see if my gf parents confirm they are coming with us to WKORVN before I book the GW. :)

I hope it works out for you as well as it did for us. We got upgraded to a penthouse OF unit that was awesome. And the Conceirge level service was a very nice bonus.

The room came with buffet breakfast for two but my two girls enjoyed a very nice continental breakfast and we enjoyed evening cocktails and apps as part of the concierge so for the $650 or so we paid it was a good value in our book.

If you do go ask to check in early and get 2 days of enjoying the amenties for one price. We got our room by 10am.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hope it works out for you as well as it did for us. We got upgraded to a penthouse OF unit that was awesome. And the Conceirge level service was a very nice bonus.

The room came with buffet breakfast for two but my two girls enjoyed a very nice continental breakfast and we enjoyed evening cocktails and apps as part of the concierge so for the $650 or so we paid it was a good value in our book.

If you do go ask to check in early and get 2 days of enjoying the amenties for one price. We got our room by 10am.

This sounds wonderful, but too expensive for our blood. I've traveled extensively for work and sometimes end up with these types of rooms, but just a bit too extravagant for one night on vacation. Heck, that's about as much as we pay for one week in a timeshare. Not that we wouldn't LOVE to do it--we just need to wait until we win the Mega lottery tonight. :D

hypnotiq

TUG Member
Reaction score

Sounds like an awesome time (and deal)! :)

Hoping ill be able to squeeze it in between WKORVN and VGC.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
The Maui Planning Commission granted a special management area permit and planned development approvals Tuesday for the Grand Wailea to proceed with its $250 million project to renovate and expand the resort.

Over the next five years, the 21-year-old resort will receive additional rooms, new restaurants, new in-room technology, a new pool and more.

Maui's Grand Wailea hotel to get $250 million expansion - http://travel.usatoday.com/hotels/p...lea-maui-hotel-250-million-expansion/669639/1
Panel blesses Grand Wailea project - http://www.mauinews.com/page/content.detail/id/560028/Panel-blesses-Grand-Wailea-project.html?nav=10

The three main components:

1. More rooms: In about three years, the plan calls for adding 300 rooms to the existing 780, which would make the hotel the largest on the island, he says. Don't expect a large tower; the current nine-story tower will still stand as the tallest on the property. Instead, the additional rooms will be scattered throughout the property with two- and four-story extensions.

2. More pool space: The plan includes an expansion to the existing pool area, as well as the addition of a quiet pool for adults. Given that the hotel has a series of nine pools, he notes, guests will always have a pools to use during the construction phase.

3. Cultural options: The hotel closed its nightclub six years ago and has been using it to host special events. "That was a trend when the hotel opened in the early 1990s," he notes. "It's not a trend today." The future plan calls for the space to be converted into a cultural space to "further embrace that what makes Hawaii special."

When will I see construction?
Expect construction to start in the next 12 to 14 months, with construction initially limited to some of the restaurants and other food outlets. Travelers won't see construction for the additional rooms happen for at least three years, he says.

chalucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Add me to the "nickel and dimed" category.

They tried to add daily maid tip automatically to my bill in additional to
automatic bellboy tip. I like to tip personally....do I need the hotel
to auto-deduct tip on my behalf? Is this a cruise? Do they pay their people?

would stay a Four Seasons next time....service and ostentatious money sucking left much to be desired.