• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Grand Mayan Ocean View NV

aliikai2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Using SFX Yes

You can ask at check in for an ocean view and as an SFX guest you will probably get one.

Greg

Heading to GM Thanksgiving week and was wondering if there was any way to get a ocean view....we traded through SFX.....Thanks

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
You can ask at check in for an ocean view and as an SFX guest you will probably get one.
I think it depends on how crowded the resort is. We were there for spring break last year via SFX, and no dice on getting an ocean front room; they said they were all reserved for owners since they were so full.

Greg, do you think Thanksgiving week is a very busy week in PV? As crowded as spring break (mid March)? We are thinking of going again, and Thanksgiving week is a possibility. I think the sea turtles are hatching in November, right? I'm sure my family would love to take part in the turtle release programs they run there.

Kurt

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Kurt - we have gone at Thanksgiving several times. It is pretty crowded, kind of like President's week, but not as crowded as it is at spring break.

You are right, the owners get the ocean view rooms before exchangers when the resort is fairly full. We are owners with the Profile A designation and get the ocean view room all the time when we use our week. But, when we were there the week before Thanksgiving using an exchange (through RCI), it was no ocean view for us in Acapulco - even thought they did give us owners bands when we showed proof of GM ownership. Nuevo does have more units than Acapulco, so there could be a chance for an ocean view using SFX, but seldom with RCI.

Emmahattiejacob

TUG Member
Reaction score
Coming in a day ahead of check in date......is it possible to pay for one night to get the ocean view then ask to keep the room....where's the best place to add the extra night....thanks for all the help

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Coming in a day ahead of check in date......is it possible to pay for one night to get the ocean view then ask to keep the room....where's the best place to add the extra night....thanks for all the help

Grupo Mayan is not big into one night rentals, so the cost for one extra night will be quite high. Even then, you may not get an ocean view room.

I have said this many times on TUG, but will say it again, we own 2 weeks at the Grand Mayan and are guaranteed ocean view rooms, BUT we often request the units overlooking the golf course instead of the ocean view. This is because during the day we are out near the pools or beach and when we come back to our unit, we like having a shaded porch to sit on and read or chat about our day. When our family joins us, we ask for one ocean view and one non-ocean view so that we have both options for our family. We have other timeshares where we have fixed ocean view or ocean front units and they are nice, but get hot in the afternoon, so we need to go inside.

Any unit you get will be nice.

curtbrown

TUG Member
Reaction score
For a one night stay you will probably need to stay at the Ocean Breeze Hotel which is on the Mayan Sea Garden property down the street from the Grand Mayan. It was my understanding that they opened the OB in order to accommodate early arrivals and extended departures. I would be surprised if you can get an extra night at the GM as I believe most of the GM reservations are based on 7-night stays.

Curt

Neesie

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were told at check in that unless you are an owner at GM, you are basically at the bottom of the totem pole. We received a bad unit by the noise King Tut entrance and two days later were moved to another equally bad unit with a view of the parking garage. I had other issues with this resort too.

rpennisi

Reaction score
As MP owners, we have always gotten ocean view (or golf course view in the RM Jungle GM) even when trading through RCI. We don't attempt to tip, but we do ask in Spanish...don't know if that is the answer.
The test will be when we go to the Grand Bliss in May with an RCI exchange. But even with that, the view on the other side toward the train station wouldn't be bad, and not sunny as Phyllis mentioned.
Ron

Last edited:

ronandjoan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Telemark, Townhouses at St Augustine Beach and Tennis Club, Stoneridge Resort (ID)
We were told at check in that unless you are an owner at GM, you are basically at the bottom of the totem pole. We received a bad unit by the noise King Tut entrance and two days later were moved to another equally bad unit with a view of the parking garage. I had other issues with this resort too.

we just returned from the Grand Mayan NV with an RCI exchange and we had an even numbered room, 2nd floor, which was the parking garage, where they were working 10 hours a day...so it was totally noisy, and shady (therefore cool) as well ...we looked at the views across the hallway (byt the elevators) and they were gorgeous. I therefore have 2 photos: the Special RCI View and the Other View.

We still really enjoyed the resort but would hope an SFX exchange next time might give us a better room. Also, we would know to not accept an even numbered room at first sight,