• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Grand Islander Purchase

Should I keep the deal?

• Keep the deal. It's worth it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Get out and try to get a resale.

Votes: 9 100.0%

• Total voters

blueblade

TUG Member
Reaction score
I will just add to the advice that you have previously been given. Rescind now while you have the chance. After that is complete, then you can further research. You can always buy this same offer from the developer again but I am sure that resales will be a much wizer choice.

Thanks for the reminder GT75. I have every intention to rescind the offer, as I'm still in Hawaii (vacationing) and can walk over to the sales office to submit the pre-printed "notice of mutual right of cancellation of time share purchase". Apparently, HGVC has a good reputation of cancelling within the 7-day window and they seem to have a pretty strong process in place to make sure it goes smoothly. Looking forward to figuring out how to best spend my money wisely. Thanks CalGalTraveler, fillde, frank808, csodjd, alwysonvac, Cyberc and GT75 for helping me out on making this decision. Hopefully, no HGVC rep is listening in on this conversation and tries to persuade me to not rescind. :)

... as a side note, a funny story was that when visiting the local stadium swap meet and we decided to purchase what was thought to be a discounted luau, but it turned out to be yet another travel membership club. Ended up sucking up a few hours of our time. We must be a magnet for these things. Apparently there is not such thing as a great deal here in Hawaii without a catch.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Thanks for the reminder GT75. I have every intention to rescind the offer, as I'm still in Hawaii (vacationing) and can walk over to the sales office to submit the pre-printed "notice of mutual right of cancellation of time share purchase". Apparently, HGVC has a good reputation of cancelling within the 7-day window and they seem to have a pretty strong process in place to make sure it goes smoothly. Looking forward to figuring out how to best spend my money wisely. Thanks CalGalTraveler, fillde, frank808, csodjd, alwysonvac, Cyberc and GT75 for helping me out on making this decision. Hopefully, no HGVC rep is listening in on this conversation and tries to persuade me to not rescind. :)

... as a side note, a funny story was that when visiting the local stadium swap meet and we decided to purchase what was thought to be a discounted luau, but it turned out to be yet another travel membership club. Ended up sucking up a few hours of our time. We must be a magnet for these things. Apparently there is not such thing as a great deal here in Hawaii without a catch.

The sales folks will try to persuade you to keep it if you return in person.

TIP: If you do decide to walk it over don’t get into a discussion about resale otherwise they will try their scare tactics (see examples below) and/or get into their one time offer nonsense.

They have been telling lies about resale vs retail for a very long time.
Here are some old threads regarding the same old lie (scare tactics) from the sales folk.

If you cancel in person, they might also offer their “try it before you buy it” package (aka Vacation Introductory Progam - VIP) but you’ll have to sit through another timeshare presentation on that return visit. This discount promotion is normally offered at the end of the presentation to those who decide not to buy that day. I think it was 7,000 one time HGVC points for less than $2000. Some folks take advantage of the VIP deal others prefer to use their money towards a resale purchase.Here’s an example of the VIP brochure - https://e.hiltongrandvacations.com/vip/11002/VIP-BRCH-11002.pdf

HHV Presentation - https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/hhv-presentation.260393/
Questions on VIP package and buying HGVC - https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/questions-on-vip-package-and-buying-hgvc.235961/
Is the HGVC Deal Worth It? Value of 7000 Points? - https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/is-the-hgvc-deal-worth-it-value-of-7000-points.250487/

Good Luck and Welcome to TUG :hi:

Last edited:

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
I too would caution against submitting your letter to rescind the offer in-person. In addition to the reasons that @alwysonvac has provided, the rescind letter has a process spelled out in your packet. I would follow that process exactly as written which is usually an address somewhere. ( i.e. not the sales office). I would also want proof that the letter was delivered (certified mail).

JMO.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
From the words of the sales guy, GI is a more modern version of the Grand Waikikian. Not sure what that means, cause I haven't seen what Grand Waikikian has to offer. Also, the sales guy says that demand and cost for Hawaii as a destination is getting higher and higher each year, but that is coming from the words of the sales guy.
I'm staying at the Grand Waikikian for the first time in a couple of weeks. I've always stayed at the Lagoon Tower in the past, so it'll be interesting to compare. Then it's over to the Marriott on Maui, also for the first time. Another interesting chance to compare.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Where do I find information on what HGVC club season means? I'm assuming that it has any relation to Gold vs. Platinum?
Home week is a week, not more or less, in the room-type you bought, at the location you bought it at. You can book a year in advance, and generally (virtually always) will get your room the week you want. It's a Saturday to Saturday stay. Basically, it's not related to points. It's just what you bought where you bought it.

Club season opens up at the 9-month mark and allows you to use your points to select any room available at any location. Basically, the rooms that were not taken by home week users are opened up for anyone to use points on. I think it's a 3-night minimum, but other than that, you can choose the day you arrive (based on availability) and stay for as many nights as your available points and available rooms will allow. If you purchased a 2-bedroom, you can probably stay more than a week in a 1-bedroom. If you purchased a 2-bedroom with a view, you may be able to stay way more than a week in a 1-bedroom without a view. You can buy your points in a Vegas building (lower purchase cost and lower maintenance fees) and use them in Hawaii. All points are equal. But it is not likely there will be rooms available at prime locations at prime times. Spring break in Hawaii, for instance, is likely to get used by home week users and not leave anything for club season.

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place

I agree with those that suggested that you NOT return your recind to the sales office but send it to the address in the packet certified mail. We did exactly that about 17 years ago when we bought and the cancelled a Westgate purchase. Another reason to NOT return your remind letter to the sales office is that the mailing will probably take you less than 5 minutes. Dealing with the sales office where they will try to get you to either not remind or buy something else like a trial week could take you hours.

blueblade

TUG Member
Reaction score
I submitted it to the sales office and they faxed it and signed it. Took about 10 minutes. This is the second time we cancelled. Last year we did the same thing when we cancelled and we got the VIP package, but their policy is to not give a VIP package more then every 2 years, unlike the Marriot. Not sure how it is with other HGVC locations, but that was our experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk