• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Grand Chateau 3 bd Lock off question

mummyx3

TUG Member
Reaction score
:confused: I just reserved a split week option on our 3 bedroom Vegas Marriott for next year. We have the 4 week nights booked for our kids spring break and then will use the 3 night weekend option later in the year. I was also considering locking off our unit and going two full weeks. The Marriott phone rep told me if we lock off our three bedroom unit we would get a 2 bedroom with a kitchen for a week (aka Master Suite) and an efficiency (aka delux guest room) for a week (not comfy for us and three children). I was very upset to learn this as we were told during our purchase last year that with the three bedroom lock off you get a one bedroom with a kitchen and a two bedroom with a kitchen. So in effect you get a kitchen twice. This sounded great to us, but we were skeptical and questioned the agent about it and they represented this as a basic fact and perk of owning a three bedroom. I would like to know what other Tuggers were told regarding the three bedroom lockoff option at the Grand Chateau.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
mummyx3 said:
:confused: I just reserved a split week option on our 3 bedroom Vegas Marriott for next year. We have the 4 week nights booked for our kids spring break and then will use the 3 night weekend option later in the year. I was also considering locking off our unit and going two full weeks. The Marriott phone rep told me if we lock off our three bedroom unit we would get a 2 bedroom with a kitchen for a week (aka Master Suite) and an efficiency (aka delux guest room) for a week (not comfy for us and three children). I was very upset to learn this as we were told during our purchase last year that with the three bedroom lock off you get a one bedroom with a kitchen and a two bedroom with a kitchen. So in effect you get a kitchen twice. This sounded great to us, but we were skeptical and questioned the agent about it and they represented this as a basic fact and perk of owning a three bedroom. I would like to know what other Tuggers were told regarding the three bedroom lockoff option at the Grand Chateau.

I don't think the rep you were talking to is familiar with GC. You SHOULD get one week in the two bedroom and one week in a one bedroom unit. That is how those units are set up.

Marriott has other 3 bedroom units that are not set up the same way. Our Ocean Pointe unit, for example, is a three bedroom unit but the LO portion is a studio unit and not a one bedroom unit like the GC.

Try calling back and speaking to a different rep. If you get the same answer, explain to them that GC 3 bedroom units are NOT like other Marriott 3 bedroom units. One side is a two bedroom while the LO is a one bedroom. If they still don't get it, ask to speak to a supervisor and you should be able to get it straightened out. They just need to actually LOOK at how those units are set up and they'll understand what your talking about. As it is, I'm sure they're just assuming these units are like most of the others and they only think they know what they're talking about.

Case in point, I've locked off our three bedroom unit. On both the I.I. online booking site and the Marriott site this LO unit shows up as a one bedroom unit and not a studio unit. When we lock off our 3 bedroom Ocean Pointe unit it shows up as a studio unit.

This would not be the first time a Marriott rep (actually an I.I. employee trained to handle Marriott customers I believe) would be wrong. I had problems when we first locked off our unit when the rep. didn't understand what I told them to do. That was lock off the unit so I could use one side this year and the LO next year. The LO never got deposited and Marriott had to do a little rearranging to get me a studio exchange unit I could use. I've also had to argue on the phone with another one that just did not understand how the system worked or what I was asking. Now, I arrange as much of my stuff online as possible. The computer system seems to understand what's going on better than the human counter parts. I figure I'm either not making myself clear on the phone or they're just not listening to what I'm saying.

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Doug is correct.

The response to whether the lockoff for a 3-BR is a full 1-BR with kitchen was important enough to me when purchasing that I asked for and received a floor plan and a written promise that the lockoff was as you understood - a full 1-BR with a kitchen. (The 2-BR units have a more normal studio as a lockoff.)

Thus, try again or get help from your Ownership Advisor or salesperson.

I can e-mail you a copy of the floorplan, if you wish. It's a Microsoft PowerPoint file, so send me a fax number if you don't have access to PowerPoint. (I can't send it until Monday, because I'm on a cruise ship in Alaska and don't have access to my files at the moment!)

ZCar

Reaction score
Haven't looked lately, but isn't this 'spelled out' in the CC& R book received from Marriott? (Governing Documents).

Dave & Doug, Thanks for your posts. Printed them and placed in my son's info file. He's the one that really owns the 3 br.

My son just brought out his 3-ring binder of the Owner Reference Guide, page 11. Quote: "Please note that the Split-Week and Lock-Off options cannot be combined".

Would this then mean that for a Split Week, one would get the 3 br. for 4 nights and then 3 nights? (or vice-versa).
If doing a two week stay, then one gets the 2 br. one week and a full 1 br. w/kitchen for the second week?

Now, read the first two paragraphs at top of page 10, of the Owners Reference Guide. That seems to contradict what Doug and Dave posted.
Does the word 'Lock-Off' mean a full 1 br. when one owns a 3 br. villa?
Dave, at least you have it in writing, for yourself anyway!

Last edited:

GaryDouglas

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean
Club Suites and Villas
We were told that we could either:

1. Take both the 2 and 1 bdrm lockoffs for the same week.
  2. Take both the 2 and 1 bdrm lockoffs for a 3 day and 4 day period.
  3. Take the 2 bdrm and 1 bdrm lockoffs for seperate weeks.
  4. Deposit the 1 and/or 2 bdrm week units for trade with II.
It took more than a couple explainations by our sales rep for us to get it straight.

GaryDouglas

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean
Club Suites and Villas
I should add that if you see the floorplan, it's obvious what's included in the 1 bdrm unit (bedroom, bathroom, living room and kitchen) and what's in the 2 bdrm unit (master bedroom, master bath, living room, kitchen, 2nd bedroom and 2nd bath).

Last edited:

ZCar

Reaction score
For a detaled explanation, try the "Marriott's Grand Chateau Program Documents Book. SECTION IV, PAGE 16, No. 7, LOCK-OFF RIGHTS, 2nd PARAGRAPH, about halfway into the paragraph. "A Three Bedroom Villa Configuration may become ... "

Too long to type tonight, but everyone who purchased from Marriott should have received this book.

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
ZCar said:
"Please note that the Split-Week and Lock-Off options cannot be combined".
That's correct. You can find that language in a number of places, including at www.mvci.com

Thus, Gary's #2 of his four listed options is not available - unless someone in reservations makes a mistake. The owner of a 3BR can (1) reserve the entire 3BR unit for separate 3 and 4 day periods or (2) reserve the separate 1BR and 2BR portions for full weeks, but cannot reserve either or both the 1BR and 2BR portions for 3 and 4 day periods.

GaryDouglas

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean
Club Suites and Villas
Maybe I shouldn't use the word "lockoff" and use "unit" instead, since lockoff can be precieved as the seperating of the two units.

In #2 I'm saying that you can occupy both units for a 3 and a 4 day period. Case in point, in May I reserved both units for Mother's day weekend of '06 for three days, and last week I reserved both units for 4 days in '06 for the week days of the 4th. If I use the word "unit" will it make more sense?

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Yes, but for further clarification, it might help to refer to the "3BR unit" to ensure there is no confusion.

My apologies. I interpreted your #2 as reserving the two portions separately rather than reserving the entire 3BR unit.

GaryDouglas

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean
Club Suites and Villas
New improved version...

1. Take the combined 3 bdrms for one week.
  2. Take the combined 3 bdrms for a 3 day and a 4 day period.
  3. Take the 2 bdrm unit for 1 week and the 1 bdrm unit for one week.
Better?

garciajason7

Reaction score
We were told that we could either:

1. Take both the 2 and 1 bdrm lockoffs for the same week.
  2. Take both the 2 and 1 bdrm lockoffs for a 3 day and 4 day period.
  3. Take the 2 bdrm and 1 bdrm lockoffs for seperate weeks.
It took more than a couple explainations by our sales rep for us to get it straight.
Was this true? I was told you can't lock it off and book smaller getaways.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Note if you reserve a split week, you cannot also lock off in the same year. It's either split week, or lockoff. Not both.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Note if you reserve a split week, you cannot also lock off in the same year. It's either split week, or lockoff. Not both.
Unless of course you're there at the resort at the same time and can do both by adding guest's names at check-in.