• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

GPR Resorts Rental Program

skimble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do any of you have any recent experience with this program?
I have been tempted in the past to rent my weeks through Grand Pacific, but the risk is big. They take a 40% cut to rent the week... which isn't bad when they pull between $300-$400/night. But, of course, there's no guaranty it will be rented (understandable.)
In the past, people were concerned over unrented nights and barely getting maintenance fees out of it-- people felt it was a bad deal.
Things have changed though. The rental market has changed, and the popularity of the GPR resorts has changed.
So, I'm wondering if anybody has tried this program in recent years. What's your experience been like?

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Do any of you have any recent experience with this program?
I have been tempted in the past to rent my weeks through Grand Pacific, but the risk is big. They take a 40% cut to rent the week... which isn't bad when they pull between $300-$400/night. But, of course, there's no guaranty it will be rented (understandable.)
In the past, people were concerned over unrented nights and barely getting maintenance fees out of it-- people felt it was a bad deal.
Things have changed though. The rental market has changed, and the popularity of the GPR resorts has changed.
So, I'm wondering if anybody has tried this program in recent years. What's your experience been like?

My experience is recent and quite the mixed bag.

I can't remember when I put my week in the program, but it was early in the year - maybe Feb 2015. Our week is week 32, B unit (1 bedroom) at Seapointe. I was told that we were first on the list. At some point (less than 60 days out so the reduced TPU's didn't make it worth it to even consider depositing) I was told that 5 nights had been rented, but not Friday/Saturday. Umm, ok. I'll use those nights, lol.

A week or two before this, I was told that only three nights were rented so now Wed - Sat. were unrented. I gave two nights to my dad and my husband and I used Fri/Sat.

My net check was in the neighborhood of $500 for the three nights.

I get more value out of exchanging our week in RCI - I can almost always get two weeks out of it - but we really enjoyed our short stay. I doubt that we would use the rental program again, although it was very easy.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
A week or two before this, I was told that only three nights were rented so now Wed - Sat. were unrented. I gave two nights to my dad and my husband and I used Fri/Sat.

I'll have to get more info from you on how you did that. They told me over the phone that I couldn't use my unused nights if only part of the week was rented. That was in 2013.

Skimble, like everything with GPR stuff, it's a mixed bag with unpredictable results. I gave 2 weeks to rent one year. About a month before my Seapointe week, I emailed and asked if it was rented, because I wanted to use it or deposit it if not. I was told 3 nights were rented and I couldn't get it back because of that. A week after the check in, I got an email saying only 2 nights were rented, so the canceled the reservation (poor whoever was renting it) and deposited it into GPX.

I had better results with a summer week at GPP. They said the whole week would probably be rented, but I think only 5 nights were.

Based on those experiences, I didn't use them again. If they will let me use the not rented portion, like they did with Katherine's, I would use them again.

elleny76

Reaction score
Presley..I bough in GP (hgvc) but i heard i can exchange with GPX(?) Can i exchange or book with with this GPX on westin lagunamar in cancun? I read somewhere about it but i can not find it. thanks

I'll have to get more info from you on how you did that. They told me over the phone that I couldn't use my unused nights if only part of the week was rented. That was in 2013.

Skimble, like everything with GPR stuff, it's a mixed bag with unpredictable results. I gave 2 weeks to rent one year. About a month before my Seapointe week, I emailed and asked if it was rented, because I wanted to use it or deposit it if not. I was told 3 nights were rented and I couldn't get it back because of that. A week after the check in, I got an email saying only 2 nights were rented, so the canceled the reservation (poor whoever was renting it) and deposited it into GPX.

I had better results with a summer week at GPP. They said the whole week would probably be rented, but I think only 5 nights were.

Based on those experiences, I didn't use them again. If they will let me use the not rented portion, like they did with Katherine's, I would use them again.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Presley..I bough in GP (hgvc) but i heard i can exchange with GPX(?) Can i exchange or book with with this GPX on westin lagunamar in cancun? I read somewhere about it but i can not find it. thanks
I've never heard of GPX having Westin available for trades. You can join GPX when you have your membership number and look at their online inventory.

skimble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I went to the annual owner's meeting at the Seapointe today, and there was a guy who expressed some concern over the rental program.
The manager mentioned that Seapointe is booked to 100% capacity during the summer in response to a question.
This man got up and asked if July 4th was booked every year. Then he went off on them, saying he only got $275 for his rental because Grand Pacific claimed they were unable to rent the full week. He was pissed because he was not able to use the unrented nights.
There was another person who got up and clamored about the same issue.

sjuhawk_jd

TUG Member
Reaction score
I went to the annual owner's meeting at the Seapointe today, and there was a guy who expressed some concern over the rental program.
The manager mentioned that Seapointe is booked to 100% capacity during the summer in response to a question.
This man got up and asked if July 4th was booked every year. Then he went off on them, saying he only got $275 for his rental because Grand Pacific claimed they were unable to rent the full week. He was pissed because he was not able to use the unrented nights.
There was another person who got up and clamored about the same issue.

I can attest to this also based on my experience. I own multiple weeks at all 3 carlsbad resorts. Rental program sucks big time. They will rent two of your nights for $300 each, keep 40% of it, and send you a check for the remaining. They will not even tell you after the fact what you are getting till about 3-4 after your week has passed and you are ready to get a check. They will also reduce the asking rate at their own will whenver they want. Stay away from this.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Reading this thread reminds me this was also my ONE TIME ONLY experience with the Wyndham's Extra Holiday rental program except if someone wants just ONE NIGHT, they will immediately accept that rental and MARK the other 6 nights as unavailable. Their position is ONLY one reset (housekeeping) is paid for by the owner and there is NO PROVISION to charge the renter ANY housekeeping fees.

skimble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can attest to this also based on my experience. I own multiple weeks at all 3 carlsbad resorts. Rental program sucks big time. They will rent two of your nights for $300 each, keep 40% of it, and send you a check for the remaining. They will not even tell you after the fact what you are getting till about 3-4 after your week has passed and you are ready to get a check. They will also reduce the asking rate at their own will whenver they want. Stay away from this.

Do you own a summer or prime week?
They claim that if they have nights that are unrented, you can call to find out and use them. And, if they have 3 unrented nights, they will give a GPX exchange.
I'm still tempted to test them.
They say the Carlsbad Inn typically stays 100% full during summer. I have a fixed unit, fixed week. I will be around during that week this summer, and I'm tempted to test their business ethics.
I have the capacity and the tenacity to check daily to see if my unit is rented. I live close enough to check in person.