• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Got the air!

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
I actually got the air to Hawaii!!! I can't believe it happened and I'm really going next year. 11 months to plan.

I fly into Oahu and out of Kauai - couldn't get anything else - so it's a waiting game of which timeshare and where I get (hoping for Marriott in Maui or Kauai) and then will get air inner island.

Question - Is it too dangerous to book the island trip on the same day I arrive in Oahu? What I mean is this: Suppose I land the 3rd of July. My week starts July 3 -10 (either in a timeshare in Maui or a hotel in Kona - depending on my trades). Should I book a flight from Oahu July 3rd (we arrive from PHiladelphia via Phoenix at 2:30 pm on USAIR) to the other island the same day? How many hours later than my planned arrival? Or should we stay one night in Oahu and fly the next day? Remember, that would mean paying a night in Oahu and losing a night elsewhere - even if it's hotel in Kona - it's with a certificate for 7 nights...

THANKS for your advice!

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would go to my final destination. There's really not that much time available to see anything since you'll want to get under way relatively early the next day. You'll waste most of that next day traveling and getting settled in so you might as well finish your traveling on the 3rd. There are flight out of HNL almost every hour. I'd give myself an hour and a half to make the change. You can probably get away with an hour, but you will have to change terminals (take a bus or walk) and if you have to get luggage and recheck it an hour won't do it. Do try to get the mainland airline to check your baggage through to the final destination. They sometime do it if you show them the ticket to your interisland flight. This year I had an hour in between flights but American wouldn't check my bags through because they said that was not enough time for a connection. I still barely made it, but it was too close for comfort.

Congratulations on getting the airfare. Have fun!

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
Same Day

This March we went from chicago to Dallas to Honolulu to Maui all in the same day, no issues.

I did try to book inner island with a carrier that was a partner with AA (Hawaian Air) and got luggage booked all the way to Maui.

Good Luck!

ownsmany

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just did the exact same flight (and times) from Phl to PHoenix to HNL. We arrived a little early 2:15. Our interisland flight to Kaui was at 4:30 (or so).

You have to walk a long way (unless you take the Wiki Wiki Bus thing - that I didn't know about). We had so much time between flights. I think if you do the Wiki thing though you may have to go thru security again? (Not sure - someone said that here).

We did Island Air, and I wish we had done Hawaiian. Hawaiian had so many flights departing while we sat waiting for ours.

I think you should probably allow for 2 hours in between your flights - in case you have flight delays from the mainland. Go the same night to your final island. It is a long day - but so worth it. Allow the times between flights to walk, eat and shop a little to break up the flying time.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The only issue is if you have a huge delay getting in to Honolulu, so that you arrive after your connecting flight. Since they aren't on the same itinerary your mainland carrier is not required to do anything for you to help you get to your destination. It would be up to the interisland carrier to decide if they still wanted to honor your ticket.

In your situation we normally try to leave one day early and spend a night on our arrival island. Fortunately we have not often needed to do this.

A factor to consider in your planning is where your flights originate from. Most of the flights we take to Hawai`i originate from our takeoff airport; i.e., we are not getting on during a stop in a continuous flight. That means that we have a much better assurance of not having our flight delayed due to problems earlier in the flight.

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
I should have booked a day early - but alas, I did not. Oh well.
I will book 3 hours later - and just read a book. I don't want to be anxious.
Would Hawaiian area put me on another flight if I missed the booked one? THANKS.

Also, when should I book that air? I can't do it yet since I don't know if I'm going to Kona or Maui. Will the hopper airlines fill up???

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
Hawain air had flights every hour almost to Maui and yes they would put you on another flight. I do not know if it is different now that Aloaha is out of Business.

The inner island flights were not full when we went during springbreak this year and I booked about 6 months prior to arrival.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Also, when should I book that air? I can't do it yet since I don't know if I'm going to Kona or Maui. Will the hopper airlines fill up???

Didn't we already talk about this? :confused:

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79991

Remember that Kona is not an island - it's a city on the island of Hawaii, AKA The Big Island.

You know that the flights from Oahu to the other islands only average about 30 minutes, right?

Last edited:

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score