• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Got our flu shots today

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
It's a personal decision. I am going to wait until 10/1 or so. I understand that flu season will be mild this winter. Australia is having a very mild flu season.
You are right about 'personal," but our family likes to consider the impact on others when making this kind of personal decision. Your mother may have brought you up differently.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I also ran into CVS the other day to pick up some pictures and noticed the flu shot advertisements so I went back out to the parking lot and had husband and daughter come in and we all got ours. Our state is requiring all school children to get the flu shot by the end of the year, I wanted to ensure we were not scrambling to find vaccines in October. "The regulation, announced by the administration Wednesday, requires the vaccination for anyone 6 months or older in child care centers, preschool, K-12 schools, and colleges and universities, unless they have a religious or medical exemption, are home-schooled, or are a higher education student living off campus and taking remote-only classes."

Curious with others that have received the shot.....did you have vivid dreams for a couple nights after? I NEVER remember dreams, husband never mentions dreams either. But, both of us had vivid ones for the last 2 nights. Just find it strange.

I am a big dreamer, and often remember my dreams in detail. But nothing at all the last two nights. Truth be told if I don't wake up at 2 or 3 o'clock and have to read for an hour, I consider it a good night.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Doctors warn about getting flu shot too early.

Richard

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our local CVS and Walgreen stores have the flu shot vaccine in stock in Tidewater VA now..

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
You are right about 'personal," but our family likes to consider the impact on others when making this kind of personal decision. Your mother may have brought you up differently.

Oh here we go.....those darn selfish people....

Don’t be talking about how people’s mothers brought them up when you know nothing about them. I myself was brought up just fine, thank you. Respectful, loyal, honest, caring. Better than most! I do what I believe is right for me, my family and others- not what OTHER people think is right.

And I’m not getting a COVID shot either if they ever come up with one unless it’s a one time deal and even then not right away until
long term effects are studied and determined to be safe.

I guess I’ll be killing a lot of people. I’m selfish like that.

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh here we go.....those darn selfish people....

Don’t be talking about how people’s mothers brought them up when you know nothing about them. I myself was brought up just fine, thank you. Respectful, loyal, honest, caring. Better than most! I do what I believe is right for me, my family and others- not what OTHER people think is right.

And I’m not getting a COVID shot either if they ever come up with one unless it’s a one time deal and even then not right away until
long term effects are studied and determined to be safe.

I guess I’ll be killing a lot of people. I’m selfish like that.
Mary Ann, respectfully, why do you bother posting to threads on subjects that you don't have interest in? If you don't get flu shots, OK, don't. If you don't want to cruise, OK, don't. If you have no intention of getting immunized for anything, just quietly scroll past those threads. It doesn't need to be general knowledge who does or doesn't participate in any social or medical practices.

I post to the TUG Lounge a lot. But there are lots and lots of forums that I've NEVER posted to. I just scroll past the ones that I have no interest in. I guess I COULD post to somebody just gushing about how wonderful a resort is in Labrador or Brazil, but I'm simply not EVER going there, so it's of no interest to me and I don't feel a need to tell them why. I'm selfish that way, too.

Wishing you and yours all the best. . .

Jim

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Re: Getting the shot too early. Last year was the first time I'd had a flu shot since I was a kid. I was of the "flu shot gives you the flu" school of thought after the whole family was sick after vaccinations when I was a kid in the '60s. After two experiences of not getting the flu after getting the shot, I no longer feel that way. But I still have an issue with needles, and having the shot offered where I could take it immediately and not have to plan time to do it again and then obsess over it as it loomed closer was a no brainer for me. I also got the shingles shot last year, and Cliff got the newer vaccine after having an older version some years before, and that was an issue even finding the vaccine and involved getting on a wait list and then rushing to Vons as soon as the call came before they ran out of their allotment again. I expect there will be extra interest in not getting the flu this year!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Mary Ann, respectfully, why do you bother posting to threads on subjects that you don't have interest in? If you don't get flu shots, OK, don't. If you don't want to cruise, OK, don't. If you have no intention of getting immunized for anything, just quietly scroll past those threads. It doesn't need to be general knowledge who does or doesn't participate in any social or medical practices.

I post to the TUG Lounge a lot. But there are lots and lots of forums that I've NEVER posted to. I just scroll past the ones that I have no interest in. I guess I COULD post to somebody just gushing about how wonderful a resort is in Labrador or Brazil, but I'm simply not EVER going there, so it's of no interest to me and I don't feel a need to tell them why. I'm selfish that way, too.

Wishing you and yours all the best. . .

Jim

Ummmm.... well I post on things I AM interested in! Otherwise I wouldn’t post! SMH....

Obviously you think people should only comment on what YOU think they should comment on. So then I say to YOU- why don’t YOU just scroll past?

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Just got a postcard from the pharmacy where I get all of my shots and vaccines. I can make an appointment for the shot (yippee!) and I'll get a $10 gift coupon for the pharmacy. My younger dd, who was very anti-shots (only for the reason that she hates needles) has gotten flu shots the past few years. She was able to get it at work last year, but since she's working from home she doesn't have that option. She wants to go to "my" pharmacy for the shot. I'm still planning to wait until September, which is only a few days away now.

Just went in and made our appointments for September 19, me for the high dose "old people" shot and her for the regular flu shot.

Last edited:

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Doctors warn about getting flu shot too early.

This concerns me a bit. I'm 85 and got my shot in August. I was not only early but I got the Regular Quadrivalent shot. not the High Dose one. I see my Doctor in October and will see if she recommends another shot, and if so which one and when...

George

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
I'll probably get my flu shot at Publix. The shot is free, plus they give you a $10 gift card.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
This concerns me a bit. I'm 85 and got my shot in August. I was not only early but I got the Regular Quadrivalent shot. not the High Dose one. I see my Doctor in October and will see if she recommends another shot, and if so which one and when...

George

I was about to say I bet they gave Cliff the regular dose, then realized the paperwork is still on my desk. As long as they didn't mix the syringes up (which I don't suspect for a minute they did), Cliff did indeed get the high dose although not a word was said about it.

Reactions: Arb

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts: Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Shadow Ridge
Interesting. I didn't read the whole article but was interested in the 'when to get the shot'. If I read correctly, they are stating that by getting it now, the shot won't 'wane' when peak hits in Feb/Mar. Everything I've read says the exact opposite, the potency lasts about 4 months up to 6. DH and I just got our shots because DH will be hospitalized at the end of the month for a procedure. If we have a problem with our peak, our plan is to get another shot early next year.

When should you get your flu shot this year? Memphis doctors weigh in.

Richard

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Interesting. I didn't read the whole article but was interested in the 'when to get the shot'. If I read correctly, they are stating that by getting it now, the shot won't 'wane' when peak hits in Feb/Mar. Everything I've read says the exact opposite, the potency lasts about 4 months up to 6. DH and I just got our shots because DH will be hospitalized at the end of the month for a procedure. If we have a problem with our peak, our plan is to get another shot early next year.
CDC would agree with you. They recommend getting vaccinated in October.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
I got my high dose quadrivalent flu shot today at Costco. I was surprised that there weren't a lot of people waiting (I was the only one) at the pharmacy to get the shot. Medicare covered it so no cost to me. They also have the new two-dose shingles shot and said Medicare will cover that too. But, they said to wait about a month after today's shot to get the first shingles shot.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I got my high dose quadrivalent flu shot today at Costco. I was surprised that there weren't a lot of people waiting (I was the only one) at the pharmacy to get the shot. Medicare covered it so no cost to me. They also have the new two-dose shingles shot and said Medicare will cover that too. But, they said to wait about a month after today's shot to get the first shingles shot.
You are lucky if Medicare will cover the 2 shots for shingles. It cost me $40 for each shot and dh paid something like $80 for each one. I know people who paid more than that. And these are all people on Medicare.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I paid largely for the first shingles vaccine. Perhaps $70 or so for each shot. Then insurance picked up the Shingrix shots. After seeing my DW go through shingles, whatever it cost was a bargain!

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I paid largely for the first shingles vaccine. Perhaps $70 or so for each shot. Then insurance picked up the Shingrix shots. After seeing my DW go through shingles, whatever it cost was a bargain!
I don't remember if dh and I had to pay for the first shingles shot. We got those in CA when we were both still working and not yet on Medicare. It could have been our insurance paid for it. But as I said we both paid for the two dose Shingrix while on Medicare.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
You are lucky if Medicare will cover the 2 shots for shingles. It cost me $40 for each shot and dh paid something like $80 for each one. I know people who paid more than that. And these are all people on Medicare.
I specifically asked the pharmacist if Medicare would cover the shingles shot, and he said they would under Part D. So, depending on our prescription drug coverage, we may have to pay something for it.

Last edited:

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Probably more important than the Shingles vaccine is the pneumococcus (pneumonia) vaccine.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Probably more important than the Shingles vaccine is the pneumococcus (pneumonia) vaccine.
Is that a one-time thing or must it be repeated? I think I've had that in the past, but I can't remember when.

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts: Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Shadow Ridge
The 2 shot Shingrx is covered by Part D, not Part B as the flu and pneumonia vacs are (with no copays). And IIRC correctly, there's a copay under Part D. If your Part D is like mine, I have to go to their 'preferred pharmacy' otherwise big $$$.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
The 2 shot Shingrx is covered by Part D, not Part B as the flu and pneumonia vacs are (with no copays). And IIRC correctly, there's a copay under Part D. If your Part D is like mine, I have to go to their 'preferred pharmacy' otherwise big $$$.
See, this is what is so weird. Dh and I both have the same coverage for Part D. I paid $40 each for the shingles shots and dh paid $80 each. Different pharmacies, but same coverage.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill