• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Got our flu shots today

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Had a 40% off coupon to use, then they called letting Cliff know his Rx was ready, and we were already going that way to drop eBay packages at the PO, so we found ourselves at CVS this afternoon. They were pushing flu shots, so we decided to see if our insurances came up as free (I had to pay last year so was going to compare to Vons' price). Both turned out to be free, and they could take us immediately, so there's a chore done that hadn't even made it to the To Do list yet.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
“However, getting vaccinated early (for example, in July or August) is likely to be associated with reduced protection against flu infection later in the flu season, particularly among older adults.”

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I saw the FREE FLU SHOTS sign at Kroger the other day. We try to hold off until late Sept/early Oct. to extend the protection well into March/April. At least that's my theory and I'm sticking to it.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I decided not to get one now or later in the season, although the doctor here asked me to consider doing so at least this once. I figure if masks and distancing and hand washing help prevent COVID, plus being home inside more in the winter, it should do the same for the flu.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We all got our flu shots at Target, for free with our insurance, and it came with a $5 gift card, which paid for most of what else was on our list for that trip.

Easy. As for it being early in the season, we've always tried to do it before my mother came (usually late Sept./mid Oct) but since she won't be back down until Dec. (having just gotten up there a month ago,) we figure now, while we are healthy and not fighting much else off, would be a good time. :)

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts: Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Shadow Ridge
We're getting ours this week. If flu season is heavy in our area later this year, we'll get another one in Jan/Feb. I'm concerned about availability. Also, people seem to be relaxing about Covid as things are not slowing in my county. I would assume flu season to be much milder this year, but why take the chance. I had a nasty flu once, decades ago, and don't want to experience it now that I'm an old folk.

Ingrid

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
We all got our flu shots at Target, for free with our insurance, and it came with a $5 gift card, which paid for most of what else was on our list for that trip.

Easy. As for it being early in the season, we've always tried to do it before my mother came (usually late Sept./mid Oct) but since she won't be back down until Dec. (having just gotten up there a month ago,) we figure now, while we are healthy and not fighting much else off, would be a good time. :)

You remind me that we actually got handed something that I think was two $5 off coupons -- I just tossed the twenty foot receipt from my other purchase and the coupons on my desk when we got home. I noticed that my nose was simultaneously all stuffed up and running for about 3hours after the injection, perhaps I had a small reaction to it.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I plan on getting my flu shot next month. That is about when I usually get it. We try to have them before we take our annual Fall trip to NYC (which isn't happening this year). I know most health care professionals are urging people to get the flu shots since they don't know what the impact of flu and Covid will be.

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
I decided not to get one now or later in the season, although the doctor here asked me to consider doing so at least this once. I figure if masks and distancing and hand washing help prevent COVID, plus being home inside more in the winter, it should do the same for the flu.
Getting a flu shot is not just for you...it also helps protect others, as you won't become a spreader. Why not pitch in an help the rest of us?

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Getting a flu shot is not just for you...it also helps protect others, as you won't become a spreader. Why not pitch in an help the rest of us?
It's a personal decision. I am going to wait until 10/1 or so. I understand that flu season will be mild this winter. Australia is having a very mild flu season.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
I'm not aware of asymptomatic flu. There's a fairly narrow window from exposure to feeling sick (generally ~2 days). So the risk of spread (relative to COVID) is quite a bit reduced. And if you know you're exposed or you feel symptoms, there are very effective drugs to mitigate the illness (Tamiflu, etc.). As another posted, I expect that because of COVID and steps being taken to reduce is spread we'll have a MUCH reduced flu season.

I usually don't get a flu shot. I will this year, mostly to help ME discern whether, if I get sick, if it is flu or COVID.

Here's a good FAQ on flu. Note that it says NOT to get vaccinated in July or August, especially if you are 65 or older.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
It's a personal decision. I am going to wait until 10/1 or so. I understand that flu season will be mild this winter. Australia is having a very mild flu season.
Curious where you are finding the information that the flu season in the U.S. will be mild this winter. All I could find was on the CDC website and it looks like they won't start predicting until later.

Last edited:

Joyce

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with you that the later we get the shot, the better. By the way, Passepartout , are you aware that your name means "master key"? That is why I said you were the "key" to many of our Tug problems. Since you made no comment, I am not sure that you are aware of the reference. Just saying!

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Curious where you are finding the information that the flu season in the U.S. will be mild this winter. All I could find was on the CDC website and it looks like they won't start predicting until later.
Not sure if there have been any articles, but between the reports of Australia's much reduced flu season for their recent winter and the fact that people are taking many more precautions now due to Covid, I think most people can see the writing on the wall that this will be a very mild flu season here in the northern hemisphere.

With that said, I am planning on getting my flu shot as usual, probably in October.

Kurt

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
By the way, Passepartout , are you aware that your name means "master key"? That is why I said you were the "key" to many of our Tug problems. Since you made no comment, I am not sure that you are aware of the reference. Just saying!
Yeah, I am aware of the meaning, but that wasn't why I chose it. I stole it from Jules Verne, who named the traveling companion of Phileas Fogg on their 80 day romp around the world, Passepartout. I identified with the character as I'm the sometimes brilliant and sometimes not so much so, as I accompany my very smart and talented wife in our travels. Seemed appropriate. :)

Jim

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
I saw the FREE FLU SHOTS sign at Kroger the other day. We try to hold off until late Sept/early Oct. to extend the protection well into March/April. At least that's my theory and I'm sticking to it.
We try to get ours in October, as well.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I usually don't get a flu shot. I will this year, mostly to help ME discern whether, if I get sick, if it is flu or COVID.

I got the flu shot this past year and got the flu. I was tested and It was one of the strains that the flu shot was suppose to protect me from. I had a very high fever and chills, tired but overall it was mild. It did turn into a sinus infection. It would be hard without testing to know if it was the flu or Covid.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

Oh give it a rest. My mask is supposed to protect you remember?

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh give it a rest. My mask is supposed to protect you remember?
Not the same thing, Mary Ann. You still stop at stop signs too. You expect others to wash their hands before they cook for you. I get that you are anti-vax, but do it anyway- that way when (if) you find yourself all fevery, achy, you have more assurance that it might be Covid and not the flu. Besides- both Covid and Flu are related coronaviruses, and you might be better able to fight off Covid if you've had a flu shot.

OK. Soap box mode: OFF.

Jim

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Not the same thing, Mary Ann. You still stop at stop signs too. You expect others to wash their hands before they cook for you. I get that you are anti-vax, but do it anyway- that way when (if) you find yourself all fevery, achy, you have more assurance that it might be Covid and not the flu. Besides- both Covid and Flu are related coronaviruses, and you might be better able to fight off Covid if you've had a flu shot.

OK. Soap box mode: OFF.

Jim

I’m not anti vaccine. Just anti flu vaccine.

I actually had the flu (or COVID) for the first time back in March.,

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Covid and Flu are related coronaviruses
No, they aren't. Common cold is related but flu is not. Flu is from the influenza virus, not the coronavirus virus. Not related at all other than some similarity of symptoms.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I also ran into CVS the other day to pick up some pictures and noticed the flu shot advertisements so I went back out to the parking lot and had husband and daughter come in and we all got ours. Our state is requiring all school children to get the flu shot by the end of the year, I wanted to ensure we were not scrambling to find vaccines in October. "The regulation, announced by the administration Wednesday, requires the vaccination for anyone 6 months or older in child care centers, preschool, K-12 schools, and colleges and universities, unless they have a religious or medical exemption, are home-schooled, or are a higher education student living off campus and taking remote-only classes."

Curious with others that have received the shot.....did you have vivid dreams for a couple nights after? I NEVER remember dreams, husband never mentions dreams either. But, both of us had vivid ones for the last 2 nights. Just find it strange.

Joyce

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I am aware of the meaning, but that wasn't why I chose it. I stole it from Jules Verne, who named the traveling companion of Phileas Fogg on their 80 day romp around the world, Passepartout. I identified with the character as I'm the sometimes brilliant and sometimes not so much so, as I accompany my very smart and talented wife in our travels. Seemed appropriate. :)

Jim
Glad you noticed. I am former high school French teacher so your name stands out for me. Please show your wife the wonderful things you say about her. It keeps the lamp burning.Never tell her you say "the wife." pass it on to your friends.