• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Google maps & "Street View"

Bill4728

Reaction score
Google maps has a feature that I just recently found out about that is both wonderfull and just a little scary. It is called street view.

If you go to google maps and type in an address. There maybe a button which says "street view" it shows you a picture of the address from the street. So I can type in my BIL address on Mercer Island, WA and see his house from the street ( my house isn't available yet) . The cars parked in his driveway just like I'm standing in the middle of the street.

Very cool

swift

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Yep, Scarry!!!

Mine was there. It wasn't today's picture because the neighbor has a couple cars over today but it is pretty recent.

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I knooooowww! I discovered this a while back. Not only can you see the front and sides of my house, you can "walk" down my street for blocks and blocks and blocks. It's really creepy.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The addition of Street View for Seattle is very recent, within the last week.

Around my neighborhood the GPS must have been having a hard time keeping it's fix. In a few locations when you click to continue on street the picture suddenly jumps and puts you down a block away and on a different street. Also in a couple of places the white path with the arrows veers off of the road and into trees before getting totally lost.

rsnash

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
The one of my house is from spring 2008 at the latest. I can tell because I had the landscaper move a planter I had in front of my house to the back yard around the end of May, and it is still in front. Both my cars are in the driveway. A FedEx truck is across the street. You can practically see into my basement office window. My house needs a power washing, especially on the north side. This is too weird!

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Yes, this has been around for a while -- Northern Colorado was one of the early areas to have street view, and my house's pic was from the summer / early fall of 2006.

Another interesting site is zillow.com -- for certain areas in the country, they have 4 angled satellite views of each house! I had always seen the typical straight overhead satellite view from Google and all those map sites, but the 4 shots at about 45-60 degree angle from each direction were really interesting. And much higher resolution that anything I had seen from those mapping sites.

Kurt

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have had this feature for quite awhile now. I wasn't aware that it wasn't available everywhere.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
doh! They caught my neighbor across the street edging his yard. :D
It looks to me as if they came past our house on a Sunday morning sometime before 8 am and within the last two months.

Brett

Reaction score
I didn't think they had gone to suburbs but apparently Google has done that. street level view right in front of your home. ..... creepy

Cotswolder

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Annoyingly, this facility is not yet available in the UK

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Not available here yet. I suppose it'll be a while before they get to the smaller communities. Guess I'll have to keep the clutter put away just in case...

It'd be funny as heck if they posted when they would be by and you could stand in front of the house and wave.:wave:

Jim Ricks

xzhan02

TUG Member
Reaction score
It caught my husband walking down the street. He usually does that early weekend mornings.

I rented an apartment in Paris for next summer. The street view just became available around that area and it is nice to see the balcony and surroundings of the apartment: grocery stores, bakeries, restaurants, museums and all the tourist sites etc. You can do virtual walk for blocks.

In summary, it's nice to have it somewhere else, just not MY house.

camachinist

TUG Member
Reaction score
The street views on Google (I find them to be more accurate on Trulia's vended API), along with bird's-eye views on Zillow and Realtor.com have been invaluable to us tracking and analyzing REO's this year. Processing 50-100 properties per day would've been impossible without such technology. Most street level stuff in our area is less than a year old, so lots of dead lawns and realtor signs in the views. Also, a lot of dead pools in the overheads. Pretty cool stuff :)