• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Golf at WKV

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I moved your question to a new thread so it wouldn't get lost in the old thread.

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
bogwarrior, ... Although it's not cheap to play golf at WKV (can't remember exact figure, but $160-185 per 18 seems right), if you are staying at the villas, you can play and charge to your room.

There are 3 nines. The pro shop makes the assignment of which 2 you will play. All 3 nines are about the same in difficulty. The course has 5 tee placements to accommodate various golf skills. You can make it easy or hard to play. A lot of the holes are scupted like half-pipes. Balls hit off line bounce back toward the fairway. I think the course was designed for resort play and higher handicap users. But, there's lots of grass on the course, the sand traps are everywhere and deep and the greens are in good shape. And, there are plenty of good golfers that play there, as you can tell from watching them on the practice tee.

Last time I played (late October) was in the WKV SVOpen so Starwood arranged the tee times.

My recollection from a trip last January was that all I had to do was call after I had a SVO reservation number, give the proshop the reservation number and make the reservation. January is slow so there was no problem getting a time then. But, WKV use is based on availability and it's a busy place in Spring. (Your post reminded me that I'll be at WKV the first week of March so I should make the reservations pronto.)

The hotel has lots of conventions and companies can reserve blocks of tee times. I'd make my reservations as far out (3 months or so) as I could. The green fees include lots of "free" balls stacked in pyramids by the tees on the driving range and an electric cart. Like all courses, if play moves along, it is a really enjoyable experience.

If Kierland is full when you call, there are many courses in the area. I'm sure you will find a place to play. Just Google "Phoenix Golf Courses."

If you need serious work on your game before you play, there is a public driving range on the East side of Scottsdale Road about 3 blocks North of Greenway. I can't remember the name of the place but it looks like a city park. The range has automatic pop-up balls on tees so lazy people like me don't even have to bend over and re-tee. You buy an allotted number of balls at the office and put your card into a slot on a stand behind each tee. It keeps track of how many balls you use. The tee height is adjustable from the stand. It's shaded and the little carrels can even blow out cool air! Enjoy! ... eom

Last edited:

hacker0124

Reaction score
When staying in the villas you do receive a discount of sorts,,,I play 18 for $125....

The course at the Kierland is a Troon managed course. If you are there for an extended time, get the "Troon Card". Rounds cost about $80. The card costs $400.

malyons

TUG Member
Reaction score
when I was there this past october I got a round through www.golfnow.com for around $55, i think the going rate at the time through the course was in the $90 - $120 range.

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you have a car, take a brief trip to the Boulders and play there. MUCH harder course (aka much more fun -- just be prepared to chase the ball into the cacti). :)

Katherine