• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Going to Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta!

Stressy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Over T-giving week.

I have read and read...but yet only retained so much. I thought I'd try to condense my questions and thoughts in to one thread I could refer back to. I am going on a SFX exchange.

Hope you will indulge me.

1. Transportation....understand you can arrange airport pick up with GM. When and where do I email them for assistance? Also-do I just take a cab back for return home? Are they plentiful outside the resort? My flight home is around 2:45 pm and check out is 10:00 am. Do they hold your bags? And how soon should I leave to be in time for my flight? Does the resort stay on PV/airport time?

2. Food shopping and eating.

I fear eating at the resort may become too expensive for our family, especially with a 16 yr old boy. Is the Mega the place to shop? Do I grab a cab, shop and return? How much is cab fare to/from? Is room service for our first day/night very expensive? Remind me of name of the inexpensive taco place in the complex. Where else can we eat? I read that Bucerias is close and a reasonable place to dine-is that true? Are they still offering meal programs at the GM?

3. Complex.

Can I bring a soft sided cooler down from our room with water/sodas/sandwiches or is this still forbidden? What else do I need to know about towels,activities,etc.

4. DVD player.

I think this was discussed in another thread-do they have them at the GMNV?

5. Currency exchange.

I'm sure they have a desk-but has anyone been lately that can comment on the exchange rate? It's been up lately and I like to know if the desk is competitive. On that note-I read a lot about dollars vs pesos for tipping. I read that the workers prefer pesos so they don't have to go out of their way to exchange dollars. I understand that-but have a question-if the resort has a desk- can the employees use it? If so-then I don't understand the reasoning. If the desk is competitive...and the dollar is worth more-wouldn't they want my dollars? I'd like to do what's best.

What else do I need to know? My only other experience with Mexico was this past summer at the Royal Sands in Cancun. It was top notch and everything was reasonable and handled like clockwork. For some reason, while I think the GMNV is going to be a very nice vacation, I don't think it will handled as efficently. Please put my mind at ease.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Email the concierge at conciergenv@grandmayan.com.mx to ask about transportation to the resort.

I hear the new Mega just before you get to Bucerias is great. I will be checking it out later this month myself. The Mega in town is good and the new ones in Playa del Carmen and Mazatlan are really nice. Take a taxi there and most likely the driver will wait for you.

Check the room service menu. These are usualy a pretty reasonable. I have ordered cheeseburgers and fries for my grandson for the same price as at the pool restaurant. It is more expensive than McDonald's, but is a huge burger. Hubby & I often order one to share and then get guacamole & chips.

They usually will let you take a small cooler to the beach, but not the pool area. We take huge Bubba Keg mugs to the pool and beach - sometimes they have water, and other times soda or beer - just depends on the time of day. You can get those at Target or Home Depot for about $10 each and take them with you.

You never know about the exchange rate. We went to Puerto Penasco two weeks ago and in town the exchange rate was 13 pesos for a $1 and at the MP, it was 10.8 pesos for a $1. It is 12.88 on this site today. http://www.xe.com/ucc/convert.cgi

You should have a great vacation. We are heading to PV on the 15th and will be at the Sheraton 2 weeks and the Grand Mayan 1 week.

aliikai2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Pittle answered some, I will try the others

Over T-giving week.

I have read and read...but yet only retained so much. I thought I'd try to condense my questions and thoughts in to one thread I could refer back to. I am going on a SFX exchange.

Hope you will indulge me.

1. Transportation....understand you can arrange airport pick up with GM. When and where do I email them for assistance? Also-do I just take a cab back for return home?
Yes, that is the easy way
Are they plentiful outside the resort?
Yes, right outside the door, the bell staff will help you with getting a cab
My flight home is around 2:45 pm and check out is 10:00 am. Do they hold your bags?
Yes, when they come to your suite they will give you a claim check
And how soon should I leave to be in time for my flight?
I would suggest to arrive at the airport around 2 hours in advance
Does the resort stay on PV/airport time?
Yes, they are on central time the same as PV
2. Food shopping and eating.

I fear eating at the resort may become too expensive for our family, especially with a 16 yr old boy. Is the Mega the place to shop? Do I grab a cab, shop and return? How much is cab fare to/from? Is room service for our first day/night very expensive? Remind me of name of the inexpensive taco place in the complex. Where else can we eat?
We enjoy the GM restaurants and the MP restaurants, but we also fine the Sea Garden a excellent choice for a less expensive meal.
I read that Bucerias is close and a reasonable place to dine-is that true? Are they still offering meal programs at the GM?
I read where they are offering the meal packets again, if so, properly managed these can really be a great deal.
3. Complex.

Can I bring a soft sided cooler down from our room with water/sodas/sandwiches or is this still forbidden? What else do I need to know about towels,activities,etc.

4. DVD player.

I think this was discussed in another thread-do they have them at the GMNV?
Not to my knowledge
5. Currency exchange.

I'm sure they have a desk-but has anyone been lately that can comment on the exchange rate? It's been up lately and I like to know if the desk is competitive.
In the times we have been in Nuevo, the desk is not competitive with the banks for the exchange of dollars
On that note-I read a lot about dollars vs pesos for tipping. I read that the workers prefer pesos so they don't have to go out of their way to exchange dollars. I understand that-but have a question-if the resort has a desk- can the employees use it? If so-then I don't understand the reasoning. If the desk is competitive...and the dollar is worth more-wouldn't they want my dollars? I'd like to do what's best.

What else do I need to know? My only other experience with Mexico was this past summer at the Royal Sands in Cancun. It was top notch and everything was reasonable and handled like clockwork. For some reason, while I think the GMNV is going to be a very nice vacation, I don't think it will handled as efficently. Please put my mind at ease.

While I have never been to any of the Royals, from what I have read, they are almost as nice as the GM. All the Groupo Mayan resorts furnish shampoo, soaps, great bath sheets,and great maid service. The staff is second to none, they treat all guests very, very well.

jmho,

Greg

davilin88

Reaction score
There is also a grocery store in N.V. at the Paradise Mall. It,s not anything like Mega but if you need a few things you don't have to go all that way. It's a $3.00 cab ride to the mall. Also, have at least one dinner at La Laguna, on the road toward the highway. Terrific seafood. Hope you have a blast.

kbvancouver

TUG Member
Reaction score
Some more answers...

Stressy,

You are going to love this resort...it is our favorite.

As far as food goes, the Mega is nice and so is the Walmart. We ususally take the city bus to the store and then a taxi back to the resort.

FYI, there is a Dominos Pizza at the Paradise Village Mall. They do deliver to the Grand Mayan (and Mayan Palce). Your teenager might be craving pizza by the end of the trip!

There is also an inexpensive taco stand at the entrance to the property. It is very much within walking distance but if you don't feel like walking, the hotel will use a golf cart to shuttle you down and back. The taco stand will let you charge your meal to your room. I can't remember the name of this place.

With regard to check out time and flight time, we always have an afternoon flight. What we normally do is check our bags with the bell hop at check out time. We pack a separate, smaller bag with the clothes we want to wear on the plane. We then go spend the morning/early afternoon enjoying the last few hours of our vacation. When it's time to leave, we use the restrooms in the lobby to change. We did come up with an even better strategy this last trip. As members, we have free access to their heath club. You'll have to check as see if SFX members do too. After a morning at the pool, you can head to the health club to take a shower and change there.

At check-in, you will receive a towel card that will allow you to get towels at the pool. Each day, you will give them this card and they will give you towels. When you turn your towles in at the end of the day, they will give you your card back. The last night of your stay, they will keep your towel card. So, if you're planning on using the pool that final morning, don't turn your towels in the night before. Keep the towels in your room, use them the next morning, and hand them in when you leave for the last time. That way, you will have towels to use that last morning.

I'm sure you will have a great time!!!

mlsmn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is there wifi service for the internet in the rooms or only at the computer room?

Stressy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Awesome responses :clap:

As you can see from my screen name...I tend to Stress :eek:

I think I have it pretty much dialed in now and am no longer stressing and I am even becoming excited.

This trip is about chilling. Hanging out at the resort-which I have promoted to my kids as a water park with a room attached. Doing a little sight seeing-but probably no activities this time around...well maybe..we'll see.

We usually go, go, go and I think we need this trip just to be together and relax.

I appreciate all the time everyone took to comment. I looked at the website for La Laguna and it looks like a winner. My daughter said it reminded her of the Captains Cove in Cancun. We had a nice time there-so that is a plus.

I do believe we are going to have a great time. Pittle-I think you are there same time as us-maybe we will see each other?

hibbeln

TUG Member
Reaction score
The little taco restaurant (kind of like an open air Taco Bell) is called "Taco Break". We walked to it with our kids. You walk out the way you come into the GM-NV, through the Grand Mayan gates and turn left and it's right there on the golf course. We ate there one night when we didn't feel like spending loads of money feeding the kids. There are little menus on the table. We ordered one round of "stuff" then another then another and kept ordering until everyone was full (kind of like a tapas restaurant).

We ate at Bucerias one of our last nights and then WISHED we had gone there sooner! It is a closer cab ride than going into downtown PV and we had some absolutely phenomenal seafood. Go down onto the beach there and then "shop around" the restaurants from the ocean side. Food was cheap and huge quantities and it was great to sit with our feet in the sand and watch the surfers a few feet away. In hindsight, we should have spent at least one day there on their beach.

Tell your kids that they can explore all the pools (GM, Mayan Palace and Sea Garden). Head down to the beach and walk one way or another. My kids enjoyed getting kayaks (from the Mayan Palace) and paddling around the inland canals. Make sure they wear flip-flops and swimsuits as you end up sitting in water in your kayak and it is GREEN!

If you walk down the beach past the MP (from the GM turn left when facing the ocean) you will get to a swampy area about 5 minutes later that has alligators, crocodiles....something! You'll see the signs. Kind of interesting to have a look at and see if you can see any critters. We saw TONS of fish jumping in there.

If you do just one thing, do a zipline. We did it with Los Veranos after much research on my part which is south of town and it was the HIGHLIGHT of the trip for my kids (they were 12 & 10 then, one very scared of heights). They still talk about it a year later. I picked Los Veranos because I liked their safety and equipment (yep, I'm a mom) AND they have the best and highest and longest ziplines. Plus they have "extras" like getting to feed monkeys and other animals, a surprisingly yummy restaurant, a swimming hole for after ziplining, a tarantula that you can have sit on you (!!!)...... We thought it was just great and the folks that run it are SO darn funny. They got rid of the nerves in our group. On the way you stop off and can see Las Roques from shore. Here is a link to Los Veranos
http://www.canopytours-vallarta.com/
I set that one up in advance and was glad we did!

I really wish we had done Vallarta Adventures Sea Safari
http://www.vallarta-adventures.com/snorkeling/sea-safari.html
but they were completely booked when we got there (Easter week). After the zipline my kids were ready for more adventure!
Depending on how old your kids are, they might end up antsy mid-week at the resort if they are teens or preteens (mine did).

Stressy

TUG Member
Reaction score
New question.

How long does it take for the concierge to respond about airport transportation? I emailed on Tuesday and again last night-but no answer. Should I call?

I am one week out from our trip.

Thanks.

Grand Vic

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would definitely call. They just e-mailed a certificate to us when we went last year and we needed it to get on the shuttle. We are going in April 09 and really looking forward to it. Please give us an update when you get home and have a fabulous time! Will you be there on December 1? They have the whole place decorated for Christmas and turn on the lights in these enormous trees. It is very festive and lots of fun to see how they decorate. Not quite like our sleighs and Santas!

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Is there wifi service for the internet in the rooms or only at the computer room?

We are wondering the same thing for Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta 2 bed unit.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay

We were there for Thanksgiving week. My son paid $60 US to have WIFI while there. He signed up for it while we were waiting for our units to get ready while we were at the pool. I do not know if it was charged to his room or a service that he used and charged to his credti card. It worked fine and we all used it during the week.