• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Go for 1 BR or wait for 2BR?

kalsc2001

Reaction score
I've narrowed down a few properties that we are looking to purchase a timeshare at, and have found that 2BR units are very hard to come by. Should I purchase a one bedroom if I find a great price, or wait it out? If I find a great buy on a 1 BR, can you ever 'trade up' for a 2BR if it were to come available?

Thanks for your advice,
Karen

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I've narrowed down a few properties that we are looking to purchase a timeshare at, and have found that 2BR units are very hard to come by. Should I purchase a one bedroom if I find a great price, or wait it out? If I find a great buy on a 1 BR, can you ever 'trade up' for a 2BR if it were to come available?

Thanks for your advice,
Karen

2BR are much easier to get and trade with than 1 BR. Worth waiting IMO.

philemer

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Schooner; Dikhololo, S.A.; Club Wyndham; Worldmark.

Thanks for your advice,
Karen

It depends. Do you really need a 2BR because of the size of your family? It yes, then wait. Are you going to use the unit most years or trade it? Which exchange co. is it affiliated with? RCI? II? Normally you can't trade up. If you own a 1BR you'll only be given a 1BR, unless your resort has an option for that.

kalsc2001

Reaction score
I assume for a family of 3 (and eventually 4)

it would be better to wait for a 2BR...or is it possible to make a 1BR work?? Thoughts??

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
given the economy, I would wait for 2 BR

I think you will see a lot of TS hitting the market this winter as maintenance fees are due. 1 BR is very limiting, both for trading and for family---with a 2 BR, kids can have their own room, boys/girls can be separated with pull-out sofa (each can even bring a friend), if no kids, you can invite parents, or another couple, etc.
Plus, you should not expect to be able to trade up form a 1 BR to a 2 BR as routine.

tombo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I love 2 bed rooms whether the kids come with us or not because I love having a bathroom for myself and one for my wife.

EileenSRN

TUG Member
Reaction score
2 Bedroom Lock-Offs have it all

I have found that lock-offs give me the best value for the MF. If I have friends coming, great. If not, I can bank or rent one side. One of my one bedrooms consistently pulls 2 bedroom units. Although I promised my DH I wouldn't buy more, There are already some great buys. There are over 400 2 bedroom, red weeks on ebay now. Of course they aren't all Premier/GC, but many are fantastic resorts. Wait till you see the one you really want.
Eileen

kalsc2001

Reaction score
the resorts I am looking at are

the Innseasons resorts and SPM resorts...living in the NE I thought these offer good options for a first timer. :) Thanks for everyone's insights...thinking it may be best to wait.

tombo

TUG Member
Reaction score

kalsc2001

Reaction score
Tombo...and others..

I am in the school system so I'm looking for either a floating week or June through August fixed (leaning towards floating). I was going to look at the Cape resorts (Surfside and Ocean Club at Smuggler's Beach) and am having a hard time finding 2BR for either (current or previously sold). My husband travel so he would prefer floating to give us some flexibility. I saw a previous InnSeason auction for points, and don't know how I feel about the whole points deal...Lots to think about!

tombo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Go to e-bay regularly and enter cape cod timeshares and hit search. The weeks you are looking for will be hard to come by here since there are very few timeshares on the cape, but eventually you will find one. Don't settle for a one bed room or a week you can't use because trading into this area in June or July will be very hard to do.

If you would consider the outer banks or myrtle beach locations it will be much easier to find what you are looking for since there are many more timeshares in these locations.

Be patient and you will get what you want for a good price.

kalsc2001

Reaction score
thanks for the advice tombo...

It's the patience thing I have to work on :)...I will wait to find what suits my needs best instead of trying to make something work.

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Same Here.

It's the patience thing I have to work on
Me too.

I want what I want when I want it -- i.e., right now !

Patient, shmayshent.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

london

TUG Member
Reaction score
Purchase a 2 BR unit

There are many good buys now for all timeshares. I recommend a 2 BR unit.

It will give you higher trading power, plus you will enjoy a nice 2 BR unit if you choose to visit your resort.

Be patient, and buy at a resort that you feel you would enjoy when used.

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
The Wisdom Of T. U. G.

I don't remember where it's written but as I recall, 1 element in The Wisdom Of TUG is Buy 2BR Timeshares.

That's right up there with Buy Resale & likewise with Buy In A Location You Actually Like Going To.

We followed that advice in all respects but 2.

That is, when we took the points plunge by springing for a dinky, entry-level points timeshare in the USA heartland, we went el cheapo & got a 1BR unit on the understanding the Points Are Points & so therefore unit size is mox nix.

Plus, one 2BR timeshare that we bought is in a far-off overseas location where we are unlikely ever to vacation. We got it strictly for advantageous trades into nice USA timeshares & so far that has worked out OK.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Last edited:

funtime

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
One bedrooms have a lot going for them too!

I like one bedrooms. If this is your first timeshare, I suggest go with a one bedroom if it is an inexpensive unit. If you are looking on ebay you probably really will not end up overspending as long as you stay with a summer unit. It would be better for trading purposes to buy a one bedroom that is a Sheraton off of ebay than a "no name" resort. A one bedroom will be cheaper with respect to maintenance fees and will be less expensive when you want to sell and "trade up." Just try to buy cheaply enough so that you can resell and later get a two bedroom. I would look at Sheraton Mountain Vista in Avon and Sheraton Desert Oasis in Arizona. They are both good little traders and name brand timeshares are easier to sell. I think it is a mistake for new timeshare owners to be looking for the "perfect" timeshare for use now and ten years in the future. Buy something off of ebay and have fun and learn about timeshares. Sell it in a year or two. Later, when you know a lot more, your purchasing decisions will be easier and wiser. Funtime.

laura1957

TUG Member
Reaction score
Even if it is just my husband and myself I really prefer having a 2 bedroom. Since I am awake much earlier than he is - I use the extra bedroom as my closet, dressing room, and my library - so I don't clutter up the living room.

sfwilshire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
Did anyone mention that the maintenance fees are the same at some resorts for 1 and 2 br units? My first timeshare was a 1br and I got good trades with it, but I realized I was paying the same annual maintenance as the owners of bigger units. I bought a 2br and sold the original unit. The 2br trades even better.

The purchase price only happens once. The maintenance fees go on every year.

Sheila

Garnet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbrisa 2,31 MNCV 52, MSR 52, MDSV2, FSA
The OP had already narrowed the field to a select few resorts. I am assuming you want to go there year after year. How available are the 1 beds? What is the mf difference? A 1 bed might be fine for a few years while you decide if this resort/area really is right for you. Due to the lack of 2 beds, do you expect a large price difference? (I know one resort that seeing a 2 bed on ebay is a real rarity-maybe 1 a year.) Ask more questions of yourself and family vacationing style.

timeos2

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The 2 BR aren't were you want them sometimes

A big problem in an area like Cape Cod - one of the preferred OP mentioned - is there are very, very few 2 bedroom timeshares that have prime loccations. Due to local restrictions and land costs the best locations tend to be 1 BR purpose built or even motel conversions while the 2 bedrooms tend to be way inland and often are apartment conversions not really resorts. We've stayed at both and much prefer the smaller 1 bedroom with the great location vs the extra room the 2 bedroom offers (in addition to easier upgrades and potential trade ease). In most cases - especially were two BR are prevalent - I'd ALWAYS own a 2 BR over a 1 but in specific areas a 1 bedroom may be the better choice for overall ownership satisfaction.

kalsc2001

Reaction score
Timeos et al...

Thanks for the spin on 1BR around Cape Cod. I did some due diligence in researching previous TS that have sold on Ebay, Cragislist and other websites, and like you said, there were very very very few 2BR in a red week that had sold/were up for sale. I don't know if I would find the 'deal' I'm looking for, as I'm sure there are many others like me who are ready to jump on a Cape Cod 2BR red week property. I also want a more specific location (in the Yarmouth area), as opposed to Mashpee, Brewster, etc. where I find a 2 BR is 'more' available. All viewpoints/opinions have helped me to look at this in different ways--I appreciate all insights, Karen :)