• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Girls scouts - what do they do?

pkyorkbeach

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was a Girl Scout from Grammar school until I graduated High School-sshhh never told anyone while in HS of course. When I had my children I became a Daisy leader with 29 little kindergarteners. Now I am a Life Time member.

One important aspect of Scouting allowed me to volunteer my time to many organizations this has stayed with me and my children volunteer too!! Leadership and confidence were also gained while in Scouting.

My opinion is any activity a child will do is GREAT!!! Scouting, dancing, sports etc....

Twinkstarr

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had fun in GS/Brownies in elementary school. We went camping, cleaning up parks, hiking and adopted a nursing home that we used to visit. Our troop was through school and it was by grade. I think 99% of the girls were in the troop.

I have to agree with SDKath on her take on GS troops, they are rather clique-y now. A few moms get together and put a troop together with their friends children. The girl up the street was in for one year, hardly any meetings or activities other than selling cookies. It wasn't like GS when we were kids. Her mom wondered what happened as she was like Linda, in GS all the way through HS.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I have to agree with SDKath on her take on GS troops, they are rather clique-y now. A few moms get together and put a troop together with their friends children. The girl up the street was in for one year, hardly any meetings or activities other than selling cookies. It wasn't like GS when we were kids. Her mom wondered what happened as she was like Linda, in GS all the way through HS.

That's too sad. I was a scout for 7 years, and a leader for 20 years. It's better for both the leader and the girls to have a lot of girls in your troop.
The girls have more fun as it is more likely that they will find a kindred spirit.

The best thing about scouting was the opportunity for each girl to experience the opportunity to be a leader, learn how to work with a group, and learn about shared responsibility. For us, selling cookies and badge work was not what it was all about (although I loved badge work when I was a girl scout). My girls loved the community service projects, so we volunteered for just about everything.

Now that my girls are grown up, I can see lessons they learned in girl scouting put to use in their adult lives. I'm glad that I had the opportunity to spend that time with my daughters.

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
. . .

Now that my girls are grown up, I can see lessons they learned in girl scouting put to use in their adult lives. I'm glad that I had the opportunity to spend that time with my daughters.

Similarly, I know DH really valued the time he spent with our son in Boy Scouts. DS was not a joiner, not at all, but a friend was in Boy Scouts and we asked him just to think about it and please not say "no" right away. A day or so later, out of the blue, he said he had thought about it and would like to join Boy Scouts. I still remember my jaw dropping. He achieved Eagle Scout and along the way had fantastic experiences and held a lot of leadership positions - and DH joined as one of the adult committee members and attended just about everything. It was excellent for both - me too when the whole family was invited. Now that DS has aged out and gone off to college, we miss it!

In retrospect, I should have worked with DD's Girl Scout troops. Perhaps they would have been less crafty and cliquey with a variety of parental involvement, and perhaps the troops and hence DD's participation would have lasted longer. :bawl: I want a time machine!

Twinkstarr

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's too sad. I was a scout for 7 years, and a leader for 20 years. It's better for both the leader and the girls to have a lot of girls in your troop.
The girls have more fun as it is more likely that they will find a kindred spirit.

The best thing about scouting was the opportunity for each girl to experience the opportunity to be a leader, learn how to work with a group, and learn about shared responsibility. For us, selling cookies and badge work was not what it was all about (although I loved badge work when I was a girl scout). My girls loved the community service projects, so we volunteered for just about everything.

I was talking to one of my son's elementary teachers a few years ago, and all these "mom-managed" playdates etc hinder kids ability to make friends on their own.

And a troop is 6-12 girls?

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was talking to one of my son's elementary teachers a few years ago, and all these "mom-managed" playdates etc hinder kids ability to make friends on their own.

Kind of disagree with that. Who else are kids going to make friends with than the children in their classroom, the other kids on their sports teams, the kids in Scouts, etc. They have to be driven everywhere. At least in these groups, the children have something in common. To me a playdate is for 2 or 3 toddlers, while the moms hang out with their gal pals.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll say this about the scouts. It wasn't our cup of tea. Certainly nothing bad to say just that the stuff they did, but other than the camping at the young ages really didn't hold my son or my attention.

I'm the type of dad who goes all in the support their kids. I continue to be a youth coach for my son's football, baseball, basketball and wrestling, to some degree or another.

In some cases like in football and basketball I've been the head coach for some 6 years now. All the others as an very involved assistant.

I also tried being an assistant scout guy, or whatever they call them for 2 years. I still have the shirt that you had to wear.

As my son got older and into sports he had no interest and we stopped. Maybe if he stuck though with it as he got older he would have enjoyed the cool stuff the older kids do, but at that age of 6 and 7 it just didn't do it for him.

I will make one last related comment. If you want your kids to be into something most times parents need to be into it to.

I see so many young kids that want to do sports but because their dad or mom don't get out there to toss the ball or do whatever the kid doesn't develop the interest.

My son is an example. The first two years my son had no interest in sports unless I was out on the field. He would love it at home to play catch or whatever sport but as soon as he got on the field with the other boys he stopped enjoying it. He just was very insecure about mixing it up with the other kids. It took two years to have him develop the confidence and now sports is the love of his life and he really excels at it.

If I hadn't stayed engaged with him he would never developed that confidence that carries into life with him.

I see so many parents make that mistake so the bottom line is what ever your kid is into parents need to show a strong interest and the kids most times will maintain or develop the interest whether it by the scouts or sports. If after two years they don't then you move on to something else, but being involved definitely helps your kids develop a interest/love for something that they might not of discovered without the parent's involvement.

Jusy my thought of the day.

Twinkstarr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Kind of disagree with that. Who else are kids going to make friends with than the children in their classroom, the other kids on their sports teams, the kids in Scouts, etc. They have to be driven everywhere. At least in these groups, the children have something in common. To me a playdate is for 2 or 3 toddlers, while the moms hang out with their gal pals.

As for school, the kids don't know how to make friends by themselves. Our counselor runs small group sessions and the friendship class is so full she runs the session through out the year. Parents sign kids up, sometimes the teacher will suggest that it would be beneficial.

My youngest son has one "school friend" and that is all he can be. We don't attend their church, so they can not be "after school friends". Called to ask if he could come over to play and was told this.

Hophop4

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV/Silverleaf Owners-Holiday Hills, Branson; Seaside, Galveston;
Landmark Holiday Beach Resort, PCB, FL
Scouting is a wonderful experience for kids. I have two boys and we were a scouting family for many years even after my kids were out. We started at second grade thru high school. I agree that parents have to be involved at all times if they want their kid to excell. I have seen kids where you never see their parents involved and before you know it they drop out. One of the best experiences my boys had was when our troop sponsored a Canadian troop and we had a scout stay with us off and on for 3 weeks during International Encampment week. If your child shows interest in joining go for it!

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll say this about the scouts. It wasn't our cup of tea.

. . . I will make one last related comment. If you want your kids to be into something most times parents need to be into it to.

If I hadn't stayed engaged with him he would never developed that confidence that carries into life with him.

I see so many parents make that mistake so the bottom line is what ever your kid is into parents need to show a strong interest and the kids most times will maintain or develop the interest whether it by the scouts or sports. If after two years they don't then you move on to something else, but being involved definitely helps your kids develop a interest/love for something that they might not of discovered without the parent's involvement.

Absolutely, it's sooo important for the parents to be involved, and not just drop off the kid as though sports, music, scouts, or whatever was like babysitting.

And as to scout troops, they vary so much; some are more camping and outdoor oriented, some more into earning badge after badge, some more service oriented.....we went to several before picking [what seemed to be] the right one for DS, and then after awhile it was clear that the new leader wasn't working out so DS transferred and really loved the new troop. Parents and interested kids should visit several different ones, go to a meeting, talk to the leaders, look at the schedule.....

Mosca

TUG Member
Reaction score
It really depends on the troop, whether or not it is good or bad. For my daughter, her troop was mostly nerdy girls, not cheerleader types, and the leaders were very focused on them getting their Gold Awards, the GS analogy to BS's Eagle Scout. All the girls my daughter's age got their Gold Award, and Mrs Mosca is convinced that it got DD into the college of her choice, and it definitely got her scholarship money (which shows up in the award letter each year).

The Gold Award is a pretty big deal, community service wise.

Plan and implement an individual "Take Action" project that reaches beyond the Girl Scout organization and provides a sustainable, lasting benefit to the girl's larger community.

Requirements include:

The Girl Scout Gold Leadership Award, which requires girls to complete 65 hours of leadership work, as well as earn three Interest Projects and one Focus Book relevant to their project.

The Girl Scout Gold Career Award, which requires girls to complete 40 hours of career exploration.

The Girl Scout Gold 4Bs Challenge, which requires girls to assess their community and its needs, and develop a vision for change. Up to 15 hours work on the 4Bs challenge may be counted toward the 65 hours for the service project.

Once these steps have been met, girls use their vision for change to complete a service project that reaches beyond the Girl Scout organization and provides lasting benefit to the girl's larger community. It requires a minimum of 65 hours of work in planning and actually completing the project. All of these hours must be completed by the Awardee, and though it is encouraged that the girl use troop members and other from the community to help her, their time spent does not count towards her 65 hour requirement. Plans must be developed with the aid of an advisor, then a project proposal must be submitted and approved by the girl's local council before starting the project, and a final report after the project's completion.

Twinkstarr

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think GS has just died in our suburb. Can't even remember the last time I saw girls selling cookies at our 2 locally owned grocery stores or even came by the house. But we have more boys in our neighborhood and the Boy Scouts seem to be very active(lots of troops), so Boy Scout popcorn is in our house.

The local girl scout association runs commercials during cookie season with a phone number to call to order cookies.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'll say this about the scouts. It wasn't our cup of tea. Certainly nothing bad to say just that the stuff they did, but other than the camping at the young ages really didn't hold my son or my attention.

I'm the type of dad who goes all in the support their kids. I continue to be a youth coach for my son's football, baseball, basketball and wrestling, to some degree or another.

In some cases like in football and basketball I've been the head coach for some 6 years now. All the others as an very involved assistant.

I also tried being an assistant scout guy, or whatever they call them for 2 years. I still have the shirt that you had to wear.

As my son got older and into sports he had no interest and we stopped. Maybe if he stuck though with it as he got older he would have enjoyed the cool stuff the older kids do, but at that age of 6 and 7 it just didn't do it for him.

I will make one last related comment. If you want your kids to be into something most times parents need to be into it to.

I see so many young kids that want to do sports but because their dad or mom don't get out there to toss the ball or do whatever the kid doesn't develop the interest.

My son is an example. The first two years my son had no interest in sports unless I was out on the field. He would love it at home to play catch or whatever sport but as soon as he got on the field with the other boys he stopped enjoying it. He just was very insecure about mixing it up with the other kids. It took two years to have him develop the confidence and now sports is the love of his life and he really excels at it.

Couldn't agree with you more. We were "all-in" when our kids were in school - sports, scouts, and band (a big deal in our community with about 10% of the high school in the music program). I loved it when we were in the thick of it, but I'm glad that it's behind us now. One thing for sure, those days go by faster than you think, and once they're gone you can't get them back. So good for you for being involved!

geekette

Reaction score
The local girl scout association runs commercials during cookie season with a phone number to call to order cookies.

I won't buy cookies that way! Not at those prices!!

We have few kids in our neighborhood so I will buy something from any of them that come to my door. No gs in 11 years, but they can be found at the grocery.

If the young lady does her sales spiel well, is polite and such, I will buy. If the mom does the work, I won't. I want to be sure that my contribution is going towards a troop that is represented by well-spoken, well-behaved girls. They may hate doing sales, but, it's necessary, so, get with the program. I don't like pushy, I don't like the tone of "I really don't give a crap please buy a box ok I'll ask next person"

If a cookie order form shows up at work, I'll buy a box on the first form that shows up and that's it for Work Buys.

I've not been as pleased with my Boy Scout buys, but that's not the fault of the scouts, so if they ask decently, I'll buy a box of whatever they're peddling (except Kettle Corn, I found out I don't like that).

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Btw, I found that I like a troop of 12 the best, with a minimum of 10 (any smaller and there always seemed to be someone who felt left out). We went as high as 16 which I liked, but carpooling was tough, you need a minimum of 3 drivers, sometimes 4.

The small cliquey troops usually implode by 4th or 5th grade. There's not enough variety to keep the girls interested. In larger troops they can move between groups, and you always get some new girls coming in because that troop is known as the one who will take anyone. It's good for the girls to learn to adjust to new people, and it allows for the group dynamic to change every year.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Couldn't agree with you more. We were "all-in" when our kids were in school - sports, scouts, and band (a big deal in our community with about 10% of the high school in the music program). I loved it when we were in the thick of it, but I'm glad that it's behind us now. One thing for sure, those days go by faster than you think, and once they're gone you can't get them back. So good for you for being involved!

We were too (or maybe I should say I was :D ). PTA board member, Girl Scout co-leader, High school music boosters board member, team mom for softball, volunteer at swim meets. Loved it, glad it's over, and miss it all at the same time. :cheer:

I did it because that's what I thought parents were supposed to do. I mean, my mom did. :D

geekette

Reaction score
We were too (or maybe I should say I was :D ). PTA board member, Girl Scout co-leader, High school music boosters board member, team mom for softball, volunteer at swim meets. Loved it, glad it's over, and miss it all at the same time. :cheer:

I did it because that's what I thought parents were supposed to do. I mean, my mom did. :D

my mom didn't, but I'm quite ok with it. I would have been horrified to have her everywhere I was!!

I don't think the youngest kid typically gets as much support as the older ones. Nor are there as many pictures taken!

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
my mom didn't, but I'm quite ok with it. I would have been horrified to have her everywhere I was!!

I shouldn't say my mom was everywhere I was, :D . But she was active in PTA, various volunteer organizations and was leader of my Camp Fire Girls troop. What I meant to imply was that I just figured that all moms were supposed to get involved both in their kids' activities and in the community.

geekette

Reaction score
I shouldn't say my mom was everywhere I was, :D . But she was active in PTA, various volunteer organizations and was leader of my Camp Fire Girls troop. What I meant to imply was that I just figured that all moms were supposed to get involved both in their kids' activities and in the community.

I don't disagree! Dads, too!

It wasn't my experience but Mom instead stopped teh cycle of abuse so that was a greater gift to me and society in general! I was self-reliant at a young age and I don't think that's a bad thing, just different from teh experience most kids have. and it probably explains why I am still part Kid.

My sister is a very active and involved mom and I respect that greatly.

Part of the reason I never had kids was that I didn't feel that I could fully commit to motherhood. No one needs a half-ass parent.

Twinkstarr

TUG Member
Reaction score
I won't buy cookies that way! Not at those prices!!

We have few kids in our neighborhood so I will buy something from any of them that come to my door. No gs in 11 years, but they can be found at the grocery.

If the young lady does her sales spiel well, is polite and such, I will buy. If the mom does the work, I won't. I want to be sure that my contribution is going towards a troop that is represented by well-spoken, well-behaved girls. They may hate doing sales, but, it's necessary, so, get with the program. I don't like pushy, I don't like the tone of "I really don't give a crap please buy a box ok I'll ask next person"

If a cookie order form shows up at work, I'll buy a box on the first form that shows up and that's it for Work Buys.

I've not been as pleased with my Boy Scout buys, but that's not the fault of the scouts, so if they ask decently, I'll buy a box of whatever they're peddling (except Kettle Corn, I found out I don't like that).

I've never called, but my next door neighbor did. They put you in contact with a troop close by and they sell you the cookies.

Twinkstarr

TUG Member
Reaction score

I don't think the youngest kid typically gets as much support as the older ones. Nor are there as many pictures taken!

My mom volunteered in our elementary school library, used to do the book inventory every year, generally helping out.

On bad weather days or if we were "good", we could go down and study in the library. There was mom, where is the hide your head under the desk smiley? :rofl:

She was a big favorite with all my friends, even back then. She carpooled for school, girl scouts and we had a individualized go at your pace math program. Moms graded your work pages, so she was in school like every day. Needed cookies? She'd be baking.

I volunteer at both our elementary and high school. I don't do the class parties, as I'm not "crafty", but help at movie night, run copies, help with market day food orders and computer lab.

High School we just did the teacher appreciation lunch(helped out and donated food) and helped the nurse with the 9th grade hearing test. Which involves herding kids to and from gym class.

My 9th grader never liked to see me at school, like I was in his way. 4th grader doesn't really care if he sees me in the hall.

Mel

TUG Member
Reaction score
It really depends on the individual troop. Some of our local troops are very much like that, I like to think my troops is as far from it as possible. While many troops are all one grade, and there are reason that has happened, many others are not. I have 11 girls from grade 2 through 7 in my younger troop, and had 18 girls last year (I had to spin the Daisies off because we just couldn't handle them, so they are their own troop now). I know of a few troops that cover all 6 levels, from Daisies (K and 1) through Ambassadors (grades 11 and 12).

Mosca - the Gold Award is still our highest award, but the requirements have changed recents (again, for those familiar with the last set of changes). It is now an 80 hour project, and the other requirements have been replaced by a new program called a "Journey" which covers some of the same steps as the old requirements. Through the Journeys, girls start with smaller projects as Daisies and Brownies, and work their way up to Silver and Gold Award projects as they get older.

Mosca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mel, it was one of the best things she did. She took the whole thing to heart, got her award, and used it as a launch pad.

funtime

TUG Member
Reaction score
What do girl scounts do? Make new friends but keep the old, one is silver and the other's gold! Funtime