• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Gifts? - What do you bring?

LAR

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Next month, three of us are going on a 2 night tour in the Morrocan Atlas Mountains and Saharan Desert. Along the way, we've asked to stop at a school (we work for an education company) and suspect that we will see a school or potentially a library.

Reading trip advisor reviews of past tours, it seems that our guide may stop for meals or tea with Berger families along the way and someone mentioned that they wish they had brought gifts.

I was already planning on bringing colored pencils to hand out to any school kids we bump into but I wonder what might be other ideas for gifts should we be invited into homes for tea/meals or see the library.

Of course, I'm looking for inexpensive, light, compact gifts that could not possibly offend those that I'm offering them to....

suggestions?

Thanks,
LAR

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Pencils are a great choice for the kids you will encounter. Colored or not. Extra erasers are welcome. Sugar free hard candies (there aren't many dentists). When we were there, kids would storm our Land Rovers calling out "Bon-Bon" with their hands out. One guy in our group had a hand-pump and a pocket full of balloons and had learned to make hats, swords, small animals and stuff from the balloons- clown like. He was a great hit and drew quite a crowd whenever we would interact with the Taureg and Berber people. They are honestly grateful for anything. We would stop at a watering place and simply pump water for the goat-herders (invariably young girls) to give their goats. One gave my DW a doll- handmade from twigs wrapped with rags of cloth. It is treasured.

Our trip to Morocco and camping on the Sahara are a treasured memory. Remember: Don't eat with your left hand. It is for something else!

If you will only be among the desert people for 2 days, you will barely scratch the surface of introduction of these very interesting peoples. Their societies have been going on for many hundreds of years, yet they are plunging headlong into the 21st century. On their tents and the mud-brick dwellings of the desert villages, solar collectors and satellite dishes are common. They know much more about 'us' than we do about them.

Jim

Last edited:

zcrider

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
dollar store

The dollar store is full of perfect stuff to take with you for small gifts to kids. Stickers, small toys like silly putty eggs, slinky, bouncy balls, decorative pencils, decorative drinking straws, candies, gum, hand stamps, ect. ect. ect.
That is very nice of you to think of the kids! I am sure they will be much appreciative of whatever you pick for them.

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
Soccer balls were a kick (pun intended) when I took them to Africa with me last summer. You can deflate them to get them stored in your luggage. Figure about 1# each, however, on your baggage allowance.

LAR

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm glad that there are no objections to the colored pencil idea. I loved the dollar store idea, just got back. I bought some super bouncy balls and was thinking about yo-yos but I dont know how to move forward with hard candy.

Why must they be sugar-less? :) I saw BlowPops going for about $.025/ea and thought that might be a hit.... I could use specific suggestions on the bon-bon bit.

thanks again,
LAR

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why must they be sugar-less? :)... I could use specific suggestions on the bon-bon bit.

LAR

There are very few dentists. You will see small kids with very unfortunate smiles. Highly sugared mint tea is a staple- especially for guests- which you will be, but I was just not wanting to contribute to an ongoing problem for these people. You can easily go through some bags of individually wrapped hard candies.

I also liked Yvonne's idea of deflated soccer balls. Even one per school would be very welcome.

Have an interesting trip. We went in January, and though sleeping in tents in the desert was chilly at night, the days were comfortably warm. I suspect when you go next month it will be more than warm.

Jim

snippet

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We took deflated soccer balls and the small bouncy balls to Peru and they were a smash. Little dolls and barrettes and hair accessories were also fun. Oh! My son donated all his Matchbox cars and the kids LOVED them. Colored pencils are a great idea too.

We also packed small towels and washcloths for the parents. Little bottles of lotion and soaps were welcomed by the mothers too. They loved the different fragrances.

Last edited:

LLW

TUG Member
Reaction score
Re sugarless candies: how about sugarless vitamin C candies, chewable vitamin Cs, or even sugarless cough drops, provided you don't give too many to any one child (too much medicine may not be a good thing?)?

Similar to colored pencils: small boxes of crayons, small art sets, pretty stickers, colorful 6-inch rulers, pretty ballpoint pens, colorful marbles from bags (don't give them to really small children), colorful small binder clips, colorful Manila folders, colorful construction papers and stationery, inexpensive backpacks (I got some for $2 once)....... Small towels and washcloths are a great idea. So are cheap kitchen supplies e.g. water ladles.

Besides dollar stores, Office Max, Bartells, Rite Aids, K Marts, Wal Marts, Costco, Fred Meyers, Targets, liguidation stores..... may be good sources.

glypnirsgirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Lar! This sounds like a fabulous trip. I hope you have a great time. You might look around and see what the boys have outgrown.

elaine

LAX Mom

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great ideas suggested already.

What about some toothbrushes?
Children's picture books from the dollar store?

Last edited:

pkyorkbeach

TUG Member
Reaction score
My friend had collected items for a DR to deliver. On the wish list was toothbrushes, toothpaste, socks-kids, mens and womens.

Have a wonderful trip

Jaybee

TUG Member
Reaction score
What a beautiful thing you are doing. Kudos to you, and to all the rest who have been so thoughtful. I'm sure it will bring a little joy and excitement for the kids, and their parents, too.