• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Giant Redwoods

Debbie118

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello,

We are traveling to San Francisco for a week in August. We would like to see giant redwoods while we are there. Based on current scheduling, we won't have the time to drive up to Eureka/Fortuna. What is the next best alternative to see giant trees nearer to San Francisco? I have talked to some friends, one suggested Mendocino, someone else suggested Monterey, yet another person said Muir Woods is fine for a day of trees. I am not sure what to do!

Thanks!

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
If you plan on spending most of your time in San Francisco, and a visit to an area with redwoods would be a short side trip, I'd vote for Muir Woods National Monument. It's close to SF (11 miles north of the Golden Gate bridge). The nature trail is an easy walk. You'll spend at most a few hours within the park and you are going to see some very impressive trees.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
I also vote for the breath taking beauty and serenity of Muir Woods. It's been over 11 years since we were there and we'd love to go back.

156955521_cShnu-M.jpg

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
We live about three miles from Muir Woods. The short trip from SF and the paved trails near the visitor center will give you a good feel of what a redwood forest feels like.

The larger forests with taller specimen further north are clearly superior, but the half day trip to Muir Woods will give you 90% of the benefit for 10% of the effort.

Go early in the day and do not go on a weekend if you can possibly avoid it.

Consider lunch at a waterfront restaurant in Sausalito on the way back to SF.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We did Muir Woods as a side trip from San Francisco and had a great time. Stopped at a waterfront restaurant in Sausalito for breakfast on the way up; had lunch in the park; left in the mid-afternoon and had dinner at a great place on the edge of Golden Gate Park.

It was a fantastic day, and my then four-month old enjoyed herself, too. She practically did a back-flip out of my arms as we were leaving Muir Woods, because she kept wanting to look up into the trees. :)

prickler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Muir woods gets my vote for most beautiful place to hike in the Bay Area, although Big Basin in Santa Cruz is worth looking into as well. It's a little further away, but I lived in Santa Cruz for a few years and IMHO the mix of mountains, ocean, and eclectic town life is worth the drive.

sfwilshire

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
If you plan on spending most of your time in San Francisco, and a visit to an area with redwoods would be a short side trip, I'd vote for Muir Woods National Monument. It's close to SF (11 miles north of the Golden Gate bridge). The nature trail is an easy walk. You'll spend at most a few hours within the park and you are going to see some very impressive trees.

It is, indeed, very beautiful there. These are the coastal redwoods. Not the Giant Sequoias. Think tall and (relatively) skinny.

Sheila

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
It is, indeed, very beautiful there. These are the coastal redwoods. Not the Giant Sequoias. Think tall and (relatively) skinny.

Sheila

You just taught me something. I never knew there were two types of big redwoods. Not that I "didn't know it," I just never thought to ask if there were different types. Duh! :doh:

A quick Google search on "difference between coastal redwoods and giant sequoias" led me to this page: http://www.giant-sequoia.com/faqs/giant-sequoia-questions/ and a very informative answer to things.

Who said TUG was just about timesharing? :)

Thanks, Sheila!
Dave

sfwilshire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
Dave,

There are actually three types of redwoods. There is also a Dawn Redwood. I have one in my yard that's about 40' tall. They survive the weather in my neighborhood better than the California varieties. I do also have a coastal redwood that a friend brought back for me. I planted it in the woods where it would get a lot of shelter and it has survived, but we haven't had a cold winter yet. Hope it makes it.

The Dawn Redwoods turn brown in the winter and are a bit odd looking. I also planted one in my parents yard. They grow like crazy.

I helped my daughter plan a trip to California recently and it was fun remembering all the great times I had there in the past. The Kings Canyon National Park mentioned in your link was well worth the trip. I've been there a couple of times. I haven't been to California in 10 years or more. Hope to get back soon.

Sheila

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Three? I need to check deeper into these. I live in an area where a coast redwood would probably grow, and I'm looking to replant a few trees in my backyard. Not sure how long it'd take to be a sizeable tree, but that'd probably be the next homewoner's problem. Time to talk to a local nursery. :)

Thanks!
Dave

Dave,

There are actually three types of redwoods. There is also a Dawn Redwood. I have one in my yard that's about 40' tall. They survive the weather in my neighborhood better than the California varieties. I do also have a coastal redwood that a friend brought back for me. I planted it in the woods where it would get a lot of shelter and it has survived, but we haven't had a cold winter yet. Hope it makes it.

The Dawn Redwoods turn brown in the winter and are a bit odd looking. I also planted one in my parents yard. They grow like crazy.

I helped my daughter plan a trip to California recently and it was fun remembering all the great times I had there in the past. The Kings Canyon National Park mentioned in your link was well worth the trip. I've been there a couple of times. I haven't been to California in 10 years or more. Hope to get back soon.

Sheila

sfwilshire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Three? I need to check deeper into these. I live in an area where a coast redwood would probably grow, and I'm looking to replant a few trees in my backyard. Not sure how long it'd take to be a sizeable tree, but that'd probably be the next homewoner's problem. Time to talk to a local nursery. :)

Thanks!
Dave

The Dawn Redwoods grew really fast. A local garden center suggested them for our climate. I planted my first at my parent's house while I was building my own and it grew too big to transplant before I got ready to move it. Just guessing, they probably grew 30' or more every ten years.

I've planted Maples and Oaks, but nothing that grew this fast. :cool:

My little coastal redwood in the woods is only about 4' tall. It was one of those tiny ones that you buy in gift shops about three years ago.

Sheila

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Thanks!
Dave

IIRC, coast redwoods (sequoia sempervirens) grow at a very fast rate for the first 20-40 years of their life. They'll grow faster than a typical pine for that period of time, and achieve a height higher than a pine of the same age. But then their growth slows way, way down. They can take thousands of years to get to 300' tall.

I've planted them in a previous house, and my neighbor planted a couple of them on his property about 10-15 years ago. They're very, very large already.

Depending on how long you plan to stay in your house, they very well could turn out to you your problem :D

-Bob

Debbie118

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Everyone

Thanks to all of you for the interesting discussion, and lesson! Muir Woods will be included on our agenda!

Thanks again!

swift

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
If you have time about 1 hour North of San Francisco in Sonoma County is Armstrong Woods http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=450 there you will find the Sequoia's. The hikes you can take through there are beautiful and you can stop by Korbel Champagne Cellars on the way. :)