• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Getting out of my Villa Del Palmar timeshare. Is this the best option?

Lintycakes

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Villa Del Palmar
Hello everyone! After a lot on thinking, calling and researching I have decided to post my conclusion and see what other peoples opinions are.

So basically, in Summer of 2015, me and my fiancé went on a trip to Villa Del Palmar Cancun. We went to their sales pitch, they lied a bit, talked things up, gave us plenty (I mean plenty) of alcohol and we fell for it and caved in. We were young and dumb and had no idea what we were getting into. We bought one of their point plans for Summer, bank points, yada yada yada. Honestly, we were not even in the financial situation to buy this. I guess you live and you learn. I was completely ignorant to timeshares and just hung on every word they said. Anyways, enough about our poor decision making.
We still owe on this, we took a loan from the owner to pay for it (interest is just...ugh). We want out of it now, we've not even used it! I called the company to see if I could surrender, of course we were out of luck. I called a reliable lawyer, out of luck there to, like I figured. Contacted a reliable realtor, won't even get enough back to pay it off. So, this is my plan. I thought that I could take a loan from my bank and pay it off and then sale it for what little money I'd get out of. I have great credit and I don't think I'll have any issues getting the loan. Anddddd, I know I'm getting screwed out of thousands either way, I've come to accept that. I just don't want to deal with it and that maintenance fees anymore..
Any thoughts are appreciated. You guys have a good day and thanks for reading my ramble.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Hello everyone! After a lot on thinking, calling and researching I have decided to post my conclusion and see what other peoples opinions are.

So basically, in Summer of 2015, me and my fiancé went on a trip to Villa Del Palmar Cancun. We went to their sales pitch, they lied a bit, talked things up, gave us plenty (I mean plenty) of alcohol and we fell for it and caved in. We were young and dumb and had no idea what we were getting into. We bought one of their point plans for Summer, bank points, yada yada yada. Honestly, we were not even in the financial situation to buy this. I guess you live and you learn. I was completely ignorant to timeshares and just hung on every word they said. Anyways, enough about our poor decision making.
We still owe on this, we took a loan from the owner to pay for it (interest is just...ugh). We want out of it now, we've not even used it! I called the company to see if I could surrender, of course we were out of luck. I called a reliable lawyer, out of luck there to, like I figured. Contacted a reliable realtor, won't even get enough back to pay it off. So, this is my plan. I thought that I could take a loan from my bank and pay it off and then sale it for what little money I'd get out of. I have great credit and I don't think I'll have any issues getting the loan. Anddddd, I know I'm getting screwed out of thousands either way, I've come to accept that. I just don't want to deal with it and that maintenance fees anymore..
Any thoughts are appreciated. You guys have a good day and thanks for reading my ramble.

I am not versed in Mexican Law but typically a contract is not enforceable if it is shown you are not of sound mind at the time of execution. Being drunk out of your minds while executing documents probably (and most likely) voids the agreement. I just can’t see being drunk while signing enforceable in Mexico. Perhaps check out that angle?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Mexican timeshares are not worth anything. You can't sell it, as you don't really own anything. You just have a 'right to use'. It's a membership club. If the note is held in Mexico, stop paying. If it's held by an American bank, still consider defaulting. Especially if you don't anticipate needing credit for some time like 5 or so years. Others have reported credit score drops of as much as 50 points, while others have no ill effects at all. If you do get a ding, you can file an explanatory letter. Often, lenders will overlook a timeshare default, as it frees up that much more of your disposable income.

The above is just my opinion, as I have no personal experience with defaulting. Remember, we are Timeshare USER'S Club, not a financial advice agency. We have given the same I formation to many owner/debtors, and seldom have they come back to tell us what happened one way or the other.

if it was me, I'd change banks or credit cards (wherever they're getting your money) not answer unknown phone numbers and throw away any collection letters. Eventually, they'll give up and drop your membership and keep the money you've already paid them.I

Good Luck!

Jim

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Mexican timeshares are not worth anything. You can't sell it, as you don't really own anything. You just have a 'right to use'. It's a membership club. If the note is held in Mexico, stop paying. If it's held by an American bank, still consider defaulting. Especially if you don't anticipate needing credit for some time like 5 or so years. Others have reported credit score drops of as much as 50 points, while others have no ill effects at all. If you do get a ding, you can file an explanatory letter. Often, lenders will overlook a timeshare default, as it frees up that much more of your disposable income.

The above is just my opinion, as I have no personal experience with defaulting. Remember, we are Timeshare USER'S Club, not a financial advice agency. We have given the same I formation to many owner/debtors, and seldom have they come back to tell us what happened one way or the other.

if it was me, I'd change banks or credit cards (wherever they're getting your money) not answer unknown phone numbers and throw away any collection letters. Eventually, they'll give up and drop your membership and keep the money you've already paid them.I

Good Luck!

Jim

Do whatever you want....but I know Jim is a very smart fella

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lintycakes

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Villa Del Palmar
Who holds the note? Is it a US or Mexican entity...

George
Off the top of my head, I am unsure. I know that I make my payments to a place located in the States.

Lintycakes

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Villa Del Palmar

Good Luck!

Jim
This was my other option I was considering. The idea just scares me because I've never just not paid for anything.
I'm going to do some digging in my contract once I get home from work. I still have all the paperwork in my safe.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Off the top of my head, I am unsure. I know that I make my payments to a place located in the States.
Dig out all those papers you signed. They will tell you. It really doesn't matter because the collateral is an essentially worthless timeshare. They won't come for your house or firstborn child.

Last edited:

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
The UVCI mf for the contract is paid to resortcom which is a company in the USA that provides reservation and financial services for UVCI to their members. Same thing for the loan if it is resort financed. UVC I . The resort loan and mf would be very difficult to collect from a person living in the USA. The resort in Mexico can't get a judgement of turn this in to your credit report. If you walk away from the contract I think the most that would happen is you would loose access to your resort and maybe some phone calls which you could ignore.

Bill