• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Gas

rosebud5

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not intending this to be funny, but I have a terrible case of flatulence. It all started when I changed my diet. I eat a lot of nuts and fruit, but the side effect is "gas". I dont drink much beer or wine so it can't be that. Has anybody experienced the same problem?

I know this isn't the sexiest topic to discuss in a forum, but 98% of the time it's gas, the other 2%.. well you know.. getting old sucks. My wife says she going to buy me some "depends". Shoot, I dont even know what they are.

Anybody have any words of wisdom?

momeason

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Some people's digestive system cannot tolerate nuts. Try giving them up and see what happens. Citrus fruits also can be a problem. Try taking a really good probiotic. The best ones are refrigerated. I like Vincos brand. You may have to go to an independent pharmacy to find it.Take twice per day on an empty stomach. Bedtime is good.

carl2591

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Joined TUG '96, Wyndham Grand Palms AKA, Presidential Villas at Plantation Resort, 3 bed lockout.
snap

hahahah... i thought this was about auto gas prices.. :rolleyes:

caus today the price of reg jumped and i do mean jumped from 3.79 yesterday to 3.89 in the spane of 8 hrs..

have your tried beano i hear it works good..

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Definitely caused by a rapid change from something like meat & potatoes to fruits, nuts, and cereals. The former will break down directly into usable 'stuff' and 'bypass', while the latter, while using the same gut chemistry will ferment first. A byproduct of this fermentation is gas. Over time- and sticking with the sticks, twigs, nuts and fruits, your gut chemistry will evolve into something that will deal better with what it's fed. But it takes time and isn't perfect. Follow a ruminant animal around a while and you'll catch a whiff of byproduct of a non-meat diet. No idea if a food additive like Beano would help. Might.

Jim

normab

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
DH and I have noticed that as we passed through our forties our bodies started to handle food differently. Nuts are now definitely an issue!

I also can speak for my lady friends that we all complain of digestive system changes as we age.

So, sorry I don't have any good news! :bawl:

Getting old is still better than the alternative IMHO!!! :doh:

Norma

glypnirsgirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I second taking a probiotic.

It helps build up the good
bacteria in your digestive
tract so that the fiber breaks
down more quickly and therefore does
not have to "ferment" so long.

It sounds like you have added
a great deal on insoluble fiber.
Adding soluble fiber will also help.

elaine

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
hahahah... i thought this was about auto gas prices.. :rolleyes:

caus today the price of reg jumped and i do mean jumped from 3.79 yesterday to 3.89 in the spane of 8 hrs..

have your tried beano i hear it works good..

Me too as we're seeing upwards of $4.59 here in Milwaukee.

I hope the OP is able to get rid of their digestive gas issue . . . not fun!

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I'm not intending this to be funny, but I have a terrible case of flatulence. It all started when I changed my diet. I eat a lot of nuts and fruit, but the side effect is "gas". I dont drink much beer or wine so it can't be that. Has anybody experienced the same problem?

I know this isn't the sexiest topic to discuss in a forum, but 98% of the time it's gas, the other 2%.. well you know.. getting old sucks. My wife says she going to buy me some "depends". Shoot, I dont even know what they are.

Try not to sneeze.....;)

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
DH and I have noticed that as we passed through our forties our bodies started to handle food differently. Nuts are now definitely an issue!

I also can speak for my lady friends that we all complain of digestive system changes as we age.

So, sorry I don't have any good news! :bawl:

Getting old is still better than the alternative IMHO!!! :doh:

Norma

All of the above :eek:

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
My 13 yr. old dog has the same problem.
His are incredibly aeromatic. We call it chemical warfare.
I advise investing in a case of Febreze.

LUVourMarriotts

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MFV (P) 2002
MSU (G) 2006
MOW (P) 2018
Enrolled in DP +++
If my wife and I will have more gas as we get older, look out world!! :eek:
We are both in our mid-late thirties, so I hope by older, you are not meaning 40's. I'd like at least 10 more years before investing in some sort of industrial air purifier for the house. :eek:

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score

The change to increased fiber will cause more gas as others have noted. Bacteria that naturally live in our gut can digest the fiber humans cannot. A by-product is gas. It isn't the only cause of flatus but could explain why yours increased when you changed to a diet higher in fiber than you were previously eating.

You may also have a medical condition. If you haven't had a colonoscopy in the last five years, I suggest you get one to rule out anything more serious.

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Besides the increased fiber of the fruits and nuts, have you recently had any of these or something like them? Each of them wreaked havoc on my digestive system.

high fiber bars - e.g. Fiber One etc.,
VitaTops (frozen muffin tops), or
artificially sweetened diet candy, such as Russell Stover jelly beans.

PJ

CarolF

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing that you are trying to eat a healthier diet? As the symptoms only started with the increase of fruit and nuts I'd be inclined to modify your diet as a start. I would suggest that you keep a diary of foods that you eat and their relation to your symptoms and take that information to your doctor.

Fructose (a sugar found in fruits and sodas) and lactose (a sugar found in dairy products) are common causes of gas, bloating, abdominal cramps, and diarrhoea.

Eating too much fruit can have negative consequences on your health, whilst healthy, it doesn't contain all the essential nutrients that our bodies need. In excess, it also contributes to weight gain (particularly if you consume fruit juices and dried fruit which contain more calories and are more easily consumed than fresh, whole fruit). Nuts will also contribute to weight gain if eaten in excess.

I think the general recommendation is 2 serves of fruit per day. A serve is the equivalent of 1 small apple or 1 cup of cut up fruit or 1/2 a cup of dried fruit or 1 cup of 100% real fruit juice. How many serves you should have depends on many things including you age, level of activity etc. and it would be a good idea to talk to your doctor about an appropriate diet for you as an individual.

In the meantime, would eating more vegetables and less fruit be a suitable option? Of course, some vegetables cause flatulence and it might be best to avoid those to start with.

Last edited:

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bananas

I'm guessing that you are trying to eat a healthier diet? As the symptoms only started with the increase of fruit and nuts I'd be inclined to modify your diet as a start. I would suggest that you keep a diary of foods that you eat and their relation to your symptoms and take that information to your doctor.

Fructose (a sugar found in fruits and sodas) and lactose (a sugar found in dairy products) are common causes of gas, bloating, abdominal cramps, and diarrhoea.

Eating too much fruit can have negative consequences on your health, whilst healthy, it doesn't contain all the essential nutrients that our bodies need. In excess, it also contributes to weight gain (particularly if you consume fruit juices and dried fruit which contain more calories and are more easily consumed than fresh, whole fruit). Nuts will also contribute to weight gain if eaten in excess.

I think the general recommendation is 2 serves of fruit per day. A serve is the equivalent of 1 small apple or 1 cup of cut up fruit or 1/2 a cup of dried fruit or 1 cup of 100% real fruit juice. How many serves you should have depends on many things including you age, level of activity etc. and it would be a good idea to talk to your doctor about an appropriate diet for you as an individual.

In the meantime, would eating more vegetables and less fruit be a suitable option? Of course, some vegetables cause flatulence and it might be best to avoid those to start with.

Reading the abouve quote makes me think about all the fruit I eat. Heck, you can't find a banana that is small anymore. When we buy them at our grocery store they are about the size of one that three used to be.
Bart