• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Garmin lifetime update ($$)

Wonka

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Thank you.

Thanks, I'm definitely going to follow-up on this one. I just updated a couple of months ago (a less than year old prior years Christmas present), and it cost about $70. I'm hoping you can utilize this lifetime update if a newer GPS is purchased as well since like most products they seem to be outdated after a year.

Jestjoan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Check the fine print at the Garmin site......

Wonka

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
That figures...the device becomes outdated, and the "lifetime" update becomes "unusable", why on earth would I think a mfg would like to keep customers by offering them a worthwhile incentive? No more Garmin products for me.

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Even with the provision that it only goes with the devise, I am considering this. My Garmin is fairly new and the major improvements in GPS devises (that is as GPS devises as opposed to adding on a useless camera, an email receiver while driving, a candy dispenser, etc.) seem to have already occurred, so this might be worth it.

M. Henley

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Not Sure?

Don't be too sure. I bought a Nuvi 650 a few months back and is listed as "discontinued".
:(

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not sure what the concern is. All the Nuvi's 200-800 use the same maps, so any updates on the maps for the newer Nuvi's will still work on the discontinued models.

As far as the 600 series goes, when I bought mine (a 600 series), there were a number of sites where people who had experience with both the 600 and 700 series posted their experiences. They were complaining about the satellite coverage of the newer 700 series. It is a thinner model and no longer had the fold out antenna flap. That seemed like a nice feature, but apparently it was at the cost of good satellite reception.

I got to see this first hand when I met another party on a trip with both of us equipped with Garmins. Their 700 series would lose satellite coverage for no apparent reason now and then; I never lost coverage. Since both models were bought within months of each other, there is no reason to believe theirs will outlive mine. The bottom line, is given the choice, I would be happier (and am happier) to have the 600 series.

Am I missing something?

Wonka

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I am not sure what the concern is. All the Nuvi's 200-800 use the same maps, so any updates on the maps for the newer Nuvi's will still work on the discontinued models.

As far as the 600 series goes, when I bought mine (a 600 series), there were a number of sites where people who had experience with both the 600 and 700 series posted their experiences. They were complaining about the satellite coverage of the newer 700 series. It is a thinner model and no longer had the fold out antenna flap. That seemed like a nice feature, but apparently it was at the cost of good satellite reception.

I got to see this first hand when I met another party on a trip with both of us equipped with Garmins. Their 700 series would lose satellite coverage for no apparent reason now and then; I never lost coverage. Since both models were bought within months of each other, there is no reason to believe theirs will outlive mine. The bottom line, is given the choice, I would be happier (and am happier) to have the 600 series.

Am I missing something?

No, you're not missing anything if you can predict the future. And, you might very well be correct. But, there is no insurance future maps will work with discontinued models in the near future. Technology changes rapidly these days. Also, if Garmin picks a new map vendor, it appears the "lifetime" guaranty terminates. But, it still might be worth the risk.

I'm just hoping GPS for driving gets a little more reliable, and can sort out directing drivers thru subdivisions, trailer courts, etc.

dukebigtom

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine told me he researched the updates and found that the last update of maps for Garmin was in 2007, so if you bought recently, be sure there is actually some advantage to buying new maps. I bought my Nuvi 360 in July 2008 and I got and automatic message suggesting I purchase an update before Christmas. No way!

BigTom

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Garmin used to release yearly updates around March or April (and they are updates).

From reading the announcement, it sounds as if Garmin might start making updates more frequently. The potential is there in that they get their maps from Navteq which is updating their data base continually. (Navteq also provides the maps for Magellan and a number of other GPS systems - not TomTom - their source is different.)

Navteq will miss changes, sometimes for a good deal of time. If you are aware of something they missed, they would like you to report it here.

I do agree that the changes from one year to the next are not (were not) worth the $70 charge. Over a couple of years, maybe.

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo

Am I missing something?

It looks like to me that you can only use the update for 1 unit. It must be registered to 1 unit. I have 3 garmins seems like it would be just as easy to purchase a new Gramin (hey disposable GPSs how nice and Green)!

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what the concern is either. They still support my very old Streetpilot 2610 with map updates, etc.

I think I've updated the maps on it twice now. The last update, the price from Garmin dropped to around $75, but you could buy it cheaper from a third party.

-David

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
who's lifetime?

Doesn't sound like much of a deal unless you somehow know you'l use it 3-4+ times before they declare your model dead.

Reminds me of a "lifetime" warrantee offered years ago on a very expensive, roof mounted tv antenna that finally broke after more than a decade of faithful service. When I called about the warranty they said "Yup, 10 years is it's lifetime. No coverage" This sounds too similar as the seller gets to set the variable rules. I'd pass.

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Doesn't sound like much of a deal unless you somehow know you'l use it 3-4+ times before they declare your model dead.

idk, it looks like it's the same price as a single update for many devices.

If it's $119, it's more than the cost of one update for me, but less than the cost of 2 updates.

Though I'm not in any rush to update my maps now, since I have the 2008 update. There's a newer one out there, but I certainly don't update my maps every year.

-David

Last edited:

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Which 3rd parties do you recommend or use?

The update is the same exact thing. All you are buying is the media and an unlock code. Search for it. Make sure you get the exact right one you need.

I don't remember where I bought it last time. It might have been from amazon.

-David