• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Gardens at West Maui

Palguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Gardens at West Maui are going unsold on eBay for 1$. I considered bidding but wonder why no interest at this price. I know times are tough but this seems a little confusing to me. I know it is across the road from Kapalua Bay and Napili Bay and just average as far a amenities go, but worth something. I have read some pretty good reviews and am familiar with the area and have spent considerable time at Kapalua and Napili. What am I missing here? Thanks in advance for your opinions.:confused:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
It's rated 15th out of 29 TS's on Maui, or 7.34, in the TUG reviews

There are over 100 Hawaii TS's on ebay right now and 29 of them are listed for $1.

The economy is shaky and lots of people are saving money with drive-to vacations.

Hawaii has high MF's.

It's just a tough time to sell a Hawaii TS!

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Gardens has no ocean views, and it is just a small resort. The units were updated very nicely about 4 years ago. I was impressed with it, but I was sorry I paid so much to buy it (bought resale but paid too much). I sold it for the price I paid, plus the closing costs I had paid. I was so happy to sell it, but I wouldn't mind owning another week for $1.00.

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We bought last year for more than $1 but still very inexpensively after staying here a year ago May. In fact...WE'RE HERE RIGHT NOW. It's a solid, clean nice resort that is more of a residence kind of place than a fancy smancy "resort"...and that's what we love about it. I just walked across the street this morning...on my feet for maybe three minutes and did a morning swim in the Pacific before breakfast for maybe 30 minutes.

We've been sitting out on the Lani drinking our kalua drinks, watching the golfers on the Kapalua golf course and admiring the bannana trees with bunches of bannana's on them. BBQ'd NY steaks last night poolside and have been eating very well. One disclosure however...the place is surrounded by private houses and they all seem to raise fighting cocks...so the roosters crow a bit before dawn and ocassionally through the day. After you adjust it becomes part of the character here.

I think the most recent $1 unit was for a studio, but a 1 bdrm, 2 ba like what we own went for $5 a few days before!

Seriously, it's a bargain...no real down side other than the roosters and something to snatch up!

BTW, I'm now using my Verizon Treo phone as my broadband conection for my laptop here at the resort and the service is perfect. Speeds are as high if not higher than our home wifi. If you have verizon broadband service, you can bypass the access charge they offer for in your room internet.

Last edited:

JROBIN

TUG Member
Reaction score
I also own at the Gardens and also paid more than a $1 for my unit, but we still make it there at least once a year. We really like the location in Napili/Kapalua and having to walk to 2 of the nicest beaches is not a big negative for us. We also just like to stroll along the pathways through Kapalua to see the beatiful scenery.

Another drawback that has not been discussed is the $350 fee that goes to the reserve fund and the $200 transfer fee attached to all Consolidated Resorts properties in Hawaii. This is $550 in fees in addition to the closing costs that I think is scaring people away from the units.

The only other negative thing that has not been discussed about the Gardens is that the HOA seems to be controlled by the developer even though it has been sold out for quite some time, so the owners do seem to have a tough time making their voices heard.

Times are tough and I saw a Maui Schooner 1 BR unit that sold on E-Bay for about $200 that was selling for $3,000-$4,000 just last year. The high cost to get to the islands really seems to have put a chill on the prices of all but the highest end units.

nygiants11991

TUG Member
Reaction score
I also seen this, I am not in the market to buy another, but my BIL is. So I was wondering about this resort. Can one of the owners or guests tell me how this would be for 13 year old?

Also any suggestions of other properties. I personally would like him to buy at Maui Ocean Club because that is were we own.

Thanks

Last edited:

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
All the units at Gardens are 1 bdrm, max occupancy 4 with the sofa sleeper...except for a handful of studio units, which also have a max of 4.

That said, we've always seen families here. Two beaches are very close by and the pool is one of the nicest I've visited with a pretty blue tile bottom. Activities aren't really geared for teenaged boys at the resort (hula dancing, lei making), but the also do an ice cream social and a burger cookout at the sands of kahana a mile or so down the road.

I'd say it's fine for familes with kids. Teenagers are very fickle and it's difficult to predict what they want.

HEAVY rain here today with flash flood advisories on the island. Looks like rain for the remainder of the week. Not great for an ocean aquatics guy like me.

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Another drawback that has not been discussed is the $350 fee that goes to the reserve fund and the $200 transfer fee attached to all Consolidated Resorts properties in Hawaii. This is $550 in fees in addition to the closing costs that I think is scaring people away from the units.

Maybe...so if you figure closing goes for around $400 - $500 depending on the company, that means you are looking at $1050 in fee's plus what, $1 upwards to $100 for the purchase price.

Still a good deal.