• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

FSP system

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Is there an advantage or disadvantage of having a UDI points versus a weeks converted to points timeshare? How would you know what type you are purchasing?

If your underlying week that is converted is a big point week you may be better off, eg I own a converted Sea Gardens lockout, red time, worth 231K, MF are only $617 + ~$80 taxes (not yet billed), so under $700. Not bad for 231K. UDI points MF are based on how many points you own. I own 300K UDI at Bonnet Creek and pay $1362. So in my case my converted week costs less per point ~$3/K versus by UDI which is $4.54/K. Note those costs do not include Program dues.

The description should tell you if it is UDI or if it is converted week. If it doesn't ask.

So, if I understand right, owning a fixed week in the Wyndham system is a disadvantage, because if one wanted to trade that week, one could only trade in whole week blocks in the RCI system. One week at home resort for another whole week at a comparable resort, or less. One could not split weeks. And points offer the flexibility of using part of the points for what ever block of time at another resort based on it's point value.

Owning a fixed week is only a disadvantage is you are NOT planning on using it, but are trying to trade it via RCI. Owning a fixed week that you want to use is good, because you have just eliminated the RCI fees as part of the transaction costs.

Points offer flexibility, Studio for 2 nights, 4 BR for 5 nights, you get to pick what you spend your money (Points) on.

I just found a lot of info in the Fairshare Plus members directory. It gives a lot of information directly related to several of the questions I asked. Wish I found it first.

That is why I added the link for you. Reading their terms is helpful

Again, some but not all. There are still some prime unconverted weeks out there.

Blue/White fixed weeks are often poor values whether converted or not. If they are unconverted, they don't trade well at all in the fixed-week exchanges. If they are converted, they often have fee ratios that are too high.

That said, my points deed is a converted week---technically red, but really the very palest shade of pink. It's much more valuable converted than it would be as a fixed week in trade. The bottom line for me is still: if I had only one ownership, it would be a mini-system in points.

In order for converted fixed weeks to make sense they need to be prime FSP time (red time in RCI) to be worthwhile. But make fixed weeks problematic is that 2 BR regardless of season pay the same MFs. Now lower demand week, yield lower points award, but at the same price. So your cost per point increased dramatically.

Last edited:

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
They only trade in weeks with RCI and the internal FAX system in Wyndham.

Oddly enough - Riverside Suites in San Antonio trades with II. Not a great trader due to the limited kitchen - but still pulls a bonus week.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Oddly enough - Riverside Suites in San Antonio trades with II. Not a great trader due to the limited kitchen - but still pulls a bonus week.

There are a handfull of Wyndhams that trade with II; Star Island (Orlando), Royal Vista(Ft Lauderdale), Governors Green (Williamsburg) and the above mentioned Riverside Suites. They are the exception not the norm.