• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Front Loading washing machine...problems with smelly clothes?

CarolF

TUG Member
Reaction score
I
But the other problem I have is that it just does not remove smells from the clothing that the clothing had before I washed them.

Example: I have an autistic grandchild who wets the bed. I washed his sheets 4 times yesterday (it took me almost all day) before the smell of urine would come out. And the last two times I put no laundry detergent or any additives in with it. So, for me, this is not a question of putting in too much soap. It is just that my machine ($1,300.00 with extras) will not clean my clothes.

Another example: I have the same problem when I wash sweaty clothing that has been used in sports. Can't get the sweat smell out without washing it all day.

Another example: A washcloth or towel that has soured because someone threw it into the hamper wet - forget it. Takes 2 -3 washing cycles before that smell will come out.

Can't comment on your washer but have a few suggestions that may cut your work load (or perhaps just change it :eek: ). Try soaking the offending articles in a bucket overnight with a nappy wash before putting them through the washing machine cycle. I use NapiSan, you may have the same or a similar product where you are. Also check the child doesn't have a urinary tract infection, they can produce particularly strong smelling urine which is hard to remove. Alternatively, it may be worth trying a different detergent or more of it.

janej

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have a set of Simmons. I think they are made by the same company as LG if I remember right. Sometime, water came out of the washer smells really bad. But my cloth never came out smelling bad. Our drain hose drains directly to an utility sink. So it is probably never properly drained. But we never had that problem with the top load washer before. I tried to keep the door open after every wash. But my tiny laundry room is also my mud room. So the door might get closed as soon as someone walks in from the garage.

The inside of my washer/dryer are made of stainless steel. I think that helps since nothing can grow there. The rubber seal ring is a totally different story.

I still like my front load better. It is much quieter and easier on the clothes. I can wash comforters and blankets. But I would not pay another $2200 for a set. I don't remember how I got talked into buying them:( . No washer/dryer is worth that much money IMHO unless they also fold and put away my laundry.

KarenLK

TUG Member
Reaction score
Similar thing happened with our Bosch dishwasher. Sometimes the inside smelled like a sewer.

The repair guy who was here for the refrig said the seal is SO tight, that it causes the problem. He suggested not letting the door stay shut between washes, so we hang a dishtowel from the door toprop it open.

Last year when I was away for 2 months, my brother had a load of dishes where some turned black, as in black mold!! We got it off, but he was scared!

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We have a front-load washer, an LG Tromm unit. We have no problems at all with smells or mold.

When we bought it, the sticker price was only a couple of hundred dollars more than conventional top-loader. After rebates (Home Depot, water utility, electric utility) it was cheaper than a top-load. And because front-loads use less water, our gas and electric bills are lower (we have electric hot water heater).

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts: Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Shadow Ridge
Similar thing happened with our Bosch dishwasher. Sometimes the inside smelled like a sewer.

The repair guy who was here for the refrig said the seal is SO tight, that it causes the problem. He suggested not letting the door stay shut between washes, so we hang a dishtowel from the door toprop it open.

Last year when I was away for 2 months, my brother had a load of dishes where some turned black, as in black mold!! We got it off, but he was scared!

Thank you! I was wondering why I get that smell, but only occassionally. I will also use a dishtowel to prevent the accidental closing of the door.

Ingrid

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Mine too...

I guess I won't be getting a front loader anytime soon then. At least not until they fix the problem about keeping it open all the time. My laundry room is also my "mud room," and if the washer door is kept open we'd bump into it coming into and out of the garage.

Mine too. But my LG front loader allows me to leave the door partially (half way) open. It wouldn't matter which way it opened if I left it all the way as we couldn't move through.

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Re: Smells & mold...

Early when we got our LG Trom, we had an error code and the unit would stop working. Service guy came out and "reset" the unit. This is mostly all he does with these as new owners got accustomed to their machine he told us.

I forget now but I think it was a combination of putting in too large a load and using the powered soap. We've switched to the the HE Kirkland dye free (white bottle) detergent and learned just how big a load we can place in the machine (pretty large) and very rarely get the code. Resetting the power to the unit (unplugging it) clears the code. It happens to us less than a handful of times over a year now.

One recommendation the serviceman gave us was to periodically run an empty load with a cup of white vinegar to clear out any deposits of soap. This was while we still were using powered soap. The explanation was the drain motor has a very small opening and can clog if soap deposits accumulate. He wasn't addressing mold, but a cup of white vinegar should kill anything which might grow in the drum and seals.

It might be something to try and see if your odors lesson.

mo1950

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all your suggestions. I am going to try them.

My grandson is 13 and autistic. He takes two different kinds of medication, so that might be part of the problem there. But the interesting thing was, some loads of bed clothing only took 2 washing cycles to get out the urine smell, the others took 4. He wets the bed almost every night, so the washing machine is getting to be a real problem.

I have tried every detergent under the sun. I have used such a small amount that there were no suds - still not good results.

I have never used fabric softener in my machine. I only use dryer sheets.

I am definitely going to try the soaking method. And the white vinegar solution.

Right now I have to call the repairman again. The bleach dispenser will not let the bleach down into the machine. The container remains full after the machine is completely through and shut down. I have to manually empty it out. The repairmen already made one trip to my house and ordered some new parts for me to set in the well, which I did, but it doesn't make any difference. My sister in Georgia has the same problem with bleach not dispensing (she also has the Whirlpool Duet).

Anyway, thank you again for the suggestions. I am at my wit's end; I really am.

Judy999

TUG Member
Reaction score
Smelly Front Loader cleaning instructions

Maytag website has instructions to periodically run the washer by pouring 1/3 cup of bleach into bleach dispenser and running empty washer w/hot water.

Here are the instructions:

Liquid chlorine bleach method

NOTE: Completely read these instructions before beginning the cleaning process. Do not add detergent or other laundry products to this cycle. Adding additional products may reduce the effectiveness of this cleaning process.

1. Remove any clothing or items from the washer.

2. Open the dispenser drawer and immediately add 1/3 cup (80 mL) of
liquid chlorine bleach to the bleach compartment. Use of more than
1/3 cup (80 mL) of bleach will cause product damage over time.

3. Close the washer door and dispenser drawer.

4. Select the Heavy Duty cycle with hot water and an extra rinse.

5. Press Start.

6. Once the cycle has begun, allow the cycle to complete. If
necessary, the cleaning cycle may be interrupted by pressing the
Pause/Cancel button once. Pressing Pause/Cancel twice will turn
off the washer.

7. If odor persists, repeat the procedure one or two more times. This
may be necessary if this is the first time you have run a
maintenance cycle.

8. After the cycle is complete, leave the door slightly open to allow for
better ventilation and drying of the washer interior.

9. Repeat the cleaning procedure monthly.

Hope this helps. :cheer:

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all your suggestions. I am going to try them.

My grandson is 13 and autistic. He takes two different kinds of medication, so that might be part of the problem there. But the interesting thing was, some loads of bed clothing only took 2 washing cycles to get out the urine smell, the others took 4. He wets the bed almost every night, so the washing machine is getting to be a real problem.

I have tried every detergent under the sun. I have used such a small amount that there were no suds - still not good results.

I have never used fabric softener in my machine. I only use dryer sheets.

I am definitely going to try the soaking method. And the white vinegar solution.

Right now I have to call the repairman again. The bleach dispenser will not let the bleach down into the machine. The container remains full after the machine is completely through and shut down. I have to manually empty it out. The repairmen already made one trip to my house and ordered some new parts for me to set in the well, which I did, but it doesn't make any difference. My sister in Georgia has the same problem with bleach not dispensing (she also has the Whirlpool Duet).

Anyway, thank you again for the suggestions. I am at my wit's end; I really am.

I've been thinking about this some more, and I think you really need to focus on presoaks and pretreatments.

Urine has a high organic nitrogen content, and organic nitrogen compounds are well-known for creating persistent, difficult odors.

Chlorine (which is the effective ingredient in all common commercial bleachers) is effective in eliminating some organic nitrogen odors, but it has a kind of perverse behavior. When chlorine first reacts with organic nitrogen it forms chlorine-nitrogen compounds that have even more odor than the original nitrogen compounds. But if additional chlorine is present, these new organic nitrogen compounds continue to react and if enough chlorine is present they are eventually destroyed.

But it's perverse because often times the result of adding chlorine is the creating of even more odors. Many times the solution is to conintue to add more chlorine.

That being said, there are also some nitrogen-based odor compounds that resist any kind of treatment. Those can be very difficult to eliminate. Anyone who has spent time in Clear Lake, California in September ought to be able to relate to that.

My suggestion is to do about a one-hour presoak with Clorox. If the odor is still present try it again, but increasing the chlorine dose by about 4x. If you reach the point where you are diluting the chlorine 10x (i.e., one gallon of 2.5% sodium hypochlorite solution diluted into into 10 gallons of water) and the odors persist then forget about trying to bleach the odors out.

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
I've successfully used the Febreeze odor eliminator that you add to you washing cycle along with the detergent. I'm not sure how it works chemically, but it does seem to help. My daughter's t-shirts that are a blend of fibers (not just all cotton) seem to really pick up underarm perspiration odors. For those, I've even sprayed them with the Febreeze sold in spray bottles for use on furniture, etc., before washing and they smell much fresher. I'm not sure if the Febreeze is simply masking the orders or really eliminating them, but they are at least wearable.

swift

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

That being said, there are also some nitrogen-based odor compounds that resist any kind of treatment. Those can be very difficult to eliminate. Anyone who has spent time in Clear Lake, California in September ought to be able to relate to that.

Awe Steve did you have to remind me?!?! Ugh!! I hate that smell!!

Also, another thing to try is a product called Nature's Miracle. http://www.naturemakesitwork.com/catalog/prod_detail.php?id=61 It is made to take out the smell of pet urine but I have also heard it works on human urine as well. You can find it at most pet stores.

Quote from their site:
Yes, Natures Miracle can be used for laundry. For general cleaning and deodorizing, use two cups of Natures Miracle in place of laundry detergent in cold water only, on delicate setting. Do not use a dryer or hang outdoors in the sun to dry, as heat can weaken the enzymes in Natures Miracle and render them ineffective. If you have clothing with a strong urine odor, it is advisable to soak the garment in full strength Natures Miracle for 10-15 minutes, and then hang indoors to dry naturally. Natures Miracle can also be used as a pre-wash to freshen your regular laundry.

Last edited:

Keitht

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Front loading washing machines are the norm in the UK and most of Europe and we don't have problems with smelly or mouldy clothes. I suppose it's down to what you are used to. The door on ours is only left just open. i.e. all that's required to fully close the door is hand pressure to make the catch engage. No risk of tripping over the door or pets getting into it.

hibbeln

TUG Member
Reaction score
When you do get that mildewy smell (and you will) go to www.smellywasher.com and order their stuff. It completely works. AND read their information that is enclosed. The whole smelly washer problem is a result of using too much detergent and it builds up on the rubber gaskets and the mildew loves it and grows like crazy on it. Since I started using HE detergent and only using a tiny fraction of what the detergent manufacturers want me to use, not only am I saving a TON of money on detergent, but I also rarely have the smelly washer smell. When I do (and it's usually after my husband has been doing the laundry and dumping in too much detergent....not that I'll complain!), I use my SmellyWasher stuff and it clears it right up. The key is using far less detergent than you are used to using.
Interestingly enough, the SmellyWasher cleaner stuff smells like Tang to me. I'm guessing it's citric acid something or another.

pranas

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have had my Maytag front loader for over ten years and have never had an oder problem. I also do not leave the door adjar. I have used both liquid and powder detergents and have not had a problem. These past few years I have used liquid because it is the only type of HP detergent sold at my grocery store. I use the dispenser for bleach only and I do not use liquid fabric softener. I prefer to put the detergent directly into the drum. I know I am not supposed to do it but I still do. I love my front loader.

You may want to go to a pet shop and buy some pet urine enzime neutralizer. I would think that a small amount in the washer would do the trick.