• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Fox River Resort - 'No more tent camping'

Leturno

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am still doing research on this but we have found out that Fox River Resort will no longer allow tent camping. My wife phoned the resort today to confirm this and they did confirm saying that it was a corporate decision. At this point I do not know if this effects other Silverleaf resorts that have camping.

If anybody else has more information please let me know.

Scott

Melynny

TUG Member
Reaction score
My Dh had an extended stay at Fox River while he was working in the area. I do have to say, there were quite a few tent campers there. BUT a couple of times, they were teenage boys who were dropped off at the resort for the weekend and were left to camp by themselves. I would think this is a liability decision.

Leturno

TUG Member
Reaction score
Melynny said:
My Dh had an extended stay at Fox River while he was working in the area. I do have to say, there were quite a few tent campers there. BUT a couple of times, they were teenage boys who were dropped off at the resort for the weekend and were left to camp by themselves. I would think this is a liability decision.

Melynny,

If that were true that would be a management & parental problem, children are not allowed as guests at the resort unsupervised. If so, someone could get a condo with Bonus time and drop their kids off for a couple of days unsupervised, so they wouldn't need a tent. Both instances would be crazy and neglect and both would not be allowed.
I have heard similar critism of other resorts, that children are left to fend for themselves. One time someone criticized Christmas Mountain that people would drop off their kids to hack for free on the golf course for half a day un-supervised.
The one time I camped there I not only had to register all campsites but security came to our campsite and verified my ownership and our reservation.
None of this explains why tent campers were band from the campground.
According to the resort there was some sort of 'incident' last year and they made the decision then not to allow any more tent campers. So it happened last season and they just never informed the owners. As soon as I find out what that is I will let you know.

Scott
[Edited to add my name.]

Melynny

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I made it up??? Would you like me to edit my response?

I am also a Silverleaf owner and yes, I was very surprised that management and the parents would allow that to occur. When I say Teenage, I meant between the ages of 12 and 18. This was my perception of what was going on, Maybe I am wrong, but I feel that my statement was TRUE as I percieved it.. This resort was a campground before Silverleaf purchased it. There are several members of the previous campground membership who still only have camping rights (and not bonus time). This is true with Silverleaf's TimberCreek Resort also.

I was not being critical at all, I was just stating what I saw. As member of TUG, I felt that it was ok to add my opinion.. I guess not.

Leturno

TUG Member
Reaction score
Melynny,

Of course it is ok for you to have an opinion. I was responding trying to point out that if that were going on it wouldn't be because they allowed tent camping and that sort of non-parental behavior would be criminal and I can't imagine it being allowed. If you saw that going on I hope you pointed it out to security so they could have kept an eye on the situation.

If my response was too much I appologize but for the life of me I can't see what a tent camper could do that would get all tent campers banned from a campground? The behavior you described above would be a problem with the parents and not with the tent.

I see I upset you and that was not what I intended to do and I am very sorry you were hurt.

Scott

Jimster

TUG Member
Reaction score
camping

I think the reason for the tent camping in the first place at this resort (I'm a former owner) is because Silverleaf bought this place from someone else that used to allow it. It was probably in the original sales agreement that tent camping would be offered for ____ period of time. In any case, the concept was doomed once Silverleaf developed the property fully.

Leturno

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jimster said:
I think the reason for the tent camping in the first place at this resort (I'm a former owner) is because Silverleaf bought this place from someone else that used to allow it. It was probably in the original sales agreement that tent camping would be offered for ____ period of time. In any case, the concept was doomed once Silverleaf developed the property fully.

Silverleaf did buy the property from Thousand Trails, their lease as part of the purchase agreement (as I have been told) will expire in 2007. At that point there will be a section of the campground that they let the Thousand Trails owners use that will not be needed. This is about 1/4th of the entire campground and is in the lowest part of the resort below the earthen dam that forms the fishing pond. And I have only seen very large trailers in their section.

Camping in the long run may be doomed but the campground is still huge at Fox River and they are not developing that end of the resort. The current developement is moving south at the other end of the property. They have roads cut into the hillsides continueing farther south and west, the campground is in the north part of the resort. It looks like the campground will be around for a long time and it is a great amenity.

Scott