• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Four Seasons Aviara trading potential?

zentraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
New to the board; first post so please excuse if not in the right forum (moderators feel free to move!). We have just joined TUG also.

We have owned a gold week at FS Aviara for about 10 years and have used it exclusively for hotel stays rather than trades or stays at Aviara (we have family in the area so we stay with them!) Over the years, as has been noted on these forums, the hotel trades have become incredibly poor deals so we are now going to start using our time to trade for the first time. My understanding is that FS does its trades through II and that we can only use them? (first question)

I also am wondering how to find TS's that are in the same quality range. I know from reading the FAQ's that the stars etc. are primarily about location and things like beach access. I am personally more interested in the quality of the furnishings, linen, staff etc. When I looked at the "top 10" list on TUG and checked some of the other resorts rated in the 9-10 range most of them did not sound nearly as nice. Any suggestions about this? We are thinking of Hawaii or maybe Mexico this next year and I would be fine with picking the destination (within limits) based on the quality of the property. I think I will be unhappy trading a week at the Four Seasons for something that feels of significantly less value.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for any advice for a trading newbie :D

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
Welcome to TUG :hi: ,

You own at a very nice timeshare resort, so it may be hard for you to find such stellar accommodations and service at many of the other timeshares you might decide to exchange into :) . However, we are pretty picky where we stay, and have found some nice, comfortable places to enjoy vacations.

As an alternative to Interval, you may consider renting your week privately and using the proceeds to rent at a timeshare of your choice from another owner. It may be easier that way, especially considering your maintenance fees. On the other hand, perhaps if you split your Four Seasons Aviara (FSA...the II code) lockoff into two units, you can trade into two units if you want to stay somewhere for two weeks.

Anyhow, we own at the Westin Ka'anapali (KAA) on Maui and find the accommodations really comfortable and close to "luxury." We have stayed at FSA, and the service and villas are superior to KAA, but the beach at KAA cannot be beat! We toured FSA and if it was located on the beach, we would have loved to own there! The size of the villas at FSA are by far the largest we have ever stayed in. I've toured the new Marriott on Maui (MM1) and those villas are spectacular. Everyone seems to love the original Marriott on Maui (MMO), but the reviews on the beds are often mixed. I haven't been to any timeshares in Mexico, but there are Marriotts and Westins in Mexico that are probably very nice (new Cancun resort, Westin Lagunamar (WLR), just opened this year).

Could your Four Seasons points get you a nice room at the Four Seasons on Maui? We are spoiled by the room in a timeshare villa, so we haven't stayed in a hotel room since 2002.

I'd probably recommend that you try Westin, Marriott, Hyatt, other Four Seasons resorts. Ritz Carlton is supposed to have some luxury fractionals, but I don't know if those are open or even trading through the regular exchange companies. Of course, Hyatt and Four Seasons do not have resorts in Hawaii or Mexico at this time.

Good luck, and welcome :cheer: .

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welcome to TUG :hi: ,

You own at a very nice timeshare resort, so it may be hard for you to find such stellar accommodations and service at many of the other timeshares you might decide to exchange into :) . However, we are pretty picky where we stay, and have found some nice, comfortable places to enjoy vacations.

As an alternative to Interval, you may consider renting your week privately and using the proceeds to rent at a timeshare of your choice from another owner. It may be easier that way, especially considering your maintenance fees. On the other hand, perhaps if you split your Four Seasons Aviara (FSA...the II code) lockoff into two units, you can trade into two units if you want to stay somewhere for two weeks.

Anyhow, we own at the Westin Ka'anapali (KAA) on Maui and find the accommodations really comfortable and close to "luxury." We have stayed at FSA, and the service and villas are superior to KAA, but the beach at KAA cannot be beat! We toured FSA and if it was located on the beach, we would have loved to own there! The size of the villas at FSA are by far the largest we have ever stayed in. I've toured the new Marriott on Maui (MM1) and those villas are spectacular. Everyone seems to love the original Marriott on Maui (MMO), but the reviews on the beds are often mixed. I haven't been to any timeshares in Mexico, but there are Marriotts and Westins in Mexico that are probably very nice (new Cancun resort, Westin Lagunamar (WLR), just opened this year).

Could your Four Seasons points get you a nice room at the Four Seasons on Maui? We are spoiled by the room in a timeshare villa, so we haven't stayed in a hotel room since 2002.

I'd probably recommend that you try Westin, Marriott, Hyatt, other Four Seasons resorts. Ritz Carlton is supposed to have some luxury fractionals, but I don't know if those are open or even trading through the regular exchange companies. Of course, Hyatt and Four Seasons do not have resorts in Hawaii or Mexico at this time.

Good luck, and welcome :cheer: .

Thanks Denise L. We are so new to all of these exchange options that I did not know we could rent our time or arrange a private exchange. The Four Seasons does not give points. If we want to use our time there for FS hotel time we have the dollar amount of our annual fees, which although not inexpensive, provide very little towards FS hotel rates these days. I also enjoy the space in larger places, but primarily the luxury hotels nightly rates are just so expensive now!

Would appreciate any other advice from others about comperable property groups or resorts.

GregGH

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi

Anything you trade for in II is a DOWNWARD trade. No daily maid service, etc. You are trading a week that costs you $2100 in MF for at best $1200. Ouch. You are giving up a lot for a marginally clean unit.

You can join Registry Collection as an individual owner - I have not done it yet but wonder if any TUGers with an Aviara unit might have. It is $250/yr and $250 per trade but you can trade to equal value ( look carefully - some of these are available on the rental market for less ).

Here is link
http://www.theregistrycollection.com/how_to_exchange/exchange_grid/

Has anyone heard about the hi-end trading company that II was supposed to have out some time ago?? I have not seen anything since it was announced ( some where on the non-traditional forum )

Greg

Sir Newf

TUG Member
Reaction score
You might be able to trade FS internally into FS Troon-Scottsdale, check with FS Ownerservices for availablity (you can only trade the full 2bdrm internally)....We also own Westin-Kierland, Scottsdale which is a nice trade (not FS, but very lovely)- trades through II. You can deposit the FS studio and probably get a large 1 -bdroom at Westin Kierland....Also thru II you can get Hyatts and Marriott Newport Coast-all very nice too...The FS studio will trade to 1 and 2 bdrms at these higher-end timeshares...
Also, go to the top of this page-red catagory of "Resort Database" and click on Resort Reviews, and you'll see ratings and comments on quality of most Timeshares...
We'll be at FS_Aviara Dec18, can"t wait!!!!:whoopie:

Last edited:

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks GregH and Sir Newf. Very helpful. I do know that we can trade internally for FS Scottsdale for either the studio and/or the 1 BDRM. FS also has a small list of direct trades that go directly through them, but most of them require the whole unit.

I think our best bet is going to be to use the 1 BDRM for an internal FS trade for the Phillips Club in NYC (or Scottsdale) and use the studio to trade for a a comperable property through II, another company that might have more luxury property, or a direct trade with someone. I know FS has a desk at II and that is supposed to help, but who knows?

What I am really trying to figure out is which property groups are most likely to be closer to the FS quality. I imagine Hyatt? Ritz Carlton (but they have so few properties that aren't in planning). Others? Maybe it is more a matter of individual properties within a property group? I think I am so used to the FS all being so similar that I assume all of the individual properties within a group like Marriott or Westin will all have the same quality level.

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
We do love the Westin timeshares. They are top-quality and in nice locations. There is no twice daily maid service, but you can pay for it if you would like to. Our MFs for our 2-bedroom lockoff are not cheap...last year it was about $1800+ and I'm sure it will be closer to $2000 for 2009. I would say that it would be a comparable trade with your MFs.

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We do love the Westin timeshares. They are top-quality and in nice locations. There is no twice daily maid service, but you can pay for it if you would like to. Our MFs for our 2-bedroom lockoff are not cheap...last year it was about $1800+ and I'm sure it will be closer to $2000 for 2009. I would say that it would be a comparable trade with your MFs.

Thanks Denise L. I don't need twice daily maid service, or even once (although once during a week would be nice) or top luxury. Mostly interested in well run properties with decent quality furnishings (linens etc.), and thoughtful designs. It is always disappointing to spend several days at a hotels, or apartment, with uncomfortable chairs, poor --or none at all-- reading lights, and kitchens with no wine glasses cheap and inadequate tools for fixing even a simple dinner.

Appreciate your suggestion about Westin, and will appreciate input from others about favorite properties. This is such a new area for us and there are a staggering (!!) number of timeshare/fractional/residential properties available. It was a bit of an accident that we ended up needing to trade our time for next year so we are behind the curve, although I am very appreciative of this board and learning about the process. Appreciate all the suggestions and help.