• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Fortune's List of Best/Worst Retirement States

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Well, where we retired to ranks higher than the state we left, so I guess we did okay. ;)

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
(I guess it's fortunate we're all different or some states would have no people at all.)

Well, by that measurement- and the rankings in the article, most people should live in Wyoming, and none in New York. I'm not holding my breath to see that happen any time soon.

In fact, it appears that early next year there might be a mass exodus to Canada.

Jim

tashamen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc points (former Club Intrawest), Trapp Family Lodge
Last edited:

geekette

Reaction score
This is what I've been looking at for the last few years too. Kiplinger updates this annually. Vermont is consistently in the bottom 10, which is why we're leaving when we retire.

Ouch!

I haven't quite figured out where to retire but I was at least able to get my mother to see that income tax isn't the only way "they get cha", aside from wondering why a low-income widow needs a pass on state income :shrug:

She simply hadn't thought anything but escaping income tax = good! Our taxes are moderate here and I needed her to think about her shopping therapy habit and how much the extra bite on that would be.

I have always liked Kiplinger's, had a subscription for much of the 90s. I do appreciate tools like this that they put out and keep up.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
We left California. There are a lot of things we miss. But there are also a lot of things we don't miss.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
This is what I've been looking at for the last few years too. Kiplinger updates this annually. Vermont is consistently in the bottom 10, which is why we're leaving when we retire.

And this always makes me upset - about the ranking-because my dream had been to move to St. Albans or the Champlain Islands.

New Hampshire being #15 works for us as our son lives there and we do like it. I just hope we make it to retirement in 5 years and can sell our NY house. Things not good here for real estate.

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Ouch!

I haven't quite figured out where to retire but I was at least able to get my mother to see that income tax isn't the only way "they get cha", aside from wondering why a low-income widow needs a pass on state income :shrug:

She simply hadn't thought anything but escaping income tax = good! Our taxes are moderate here and I needed her to think about her shopping therapy habit and how much the extra bite on that would be.

I have always liked Kiplinger's, had a subscription for much of the 90s. I do appreciate tools like this that they put out and keep up.

Vermont taxes Social Security- the one sticking point for me. Even New York doesn't tax Social Security. But Vermont's property taxes are lower than ours. But we have a community issue here which I can't talk about or the moderators will delete it- that is going to make our property and school taxes sky- rocket, amongst other quality of life issues. I hope our house will sell 5 years from now when we retire so we can get out of here. Sad, cause we do love our home.

Lydlady

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I saw California ranked 2nd on weather, I was wondering which state got first place. Interesting to see it was New Mexico.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
When I saw California ranked 2nd on weather, I was wondering which state got first place. Interesting to see it was New Mexico.

Yep. One more way in which we moved "up". ;)

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Just curious---why isn't Hawaii #1 ?

Hawaii is #32 on weather. You'd have to ask those who did the ranking. This is all it said in the article:

"The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration provided weather data, including readings on temperature, humidity and sunshine."

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
This is just another of many useless retirement articles. I have no idea who dreams up these things.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
The original post is not an article from Fortune!

It is an advertisement.

Native Advertising!

geekette

Reaction score
Not sure it still exists, but used to be an annual book called Places Rated so you could look at the aspects of importance to you vs BankRate deciding what should be important and ranking for you.

I can't think of a lot of people that want to move to Wyoming or a Dakota as generally I hear about people wanting to leave the cold. And hopefully won't be hearing of people making relo decisions based on BankRate ratings!

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score

geekette

Reaction score
Louisiana and Mississippi are considered most tax friendly. Having lived in LA for 30 plus years and on the Gulf Coast all my life, I would never consider either for our retired life. There's a whole lot more to it than low taxes...

I completely agree. There are few decisions I make based on tax impact. For example, I have never turned down a raise at work that would end up causing me to pay more taxes or put me in a higher bracket. But at least Kiplinger's gives you the info so you know the deal on your intended location vs nebulous ratings without data from BankRate.