• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 31 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 31st Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Food Delivery Services

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
As mentioned in other threads, many of us are ordering food from various delivery services. I thought we should have a dedicated thread on this topic, so we can share info and opinions on quality etc.

This is not the thread to discuss delivery services employee compensation nor the services policy on health preparedness for their staff. If you want to discuss that, especially given the recent news of Instacart strikes, go to another thread. It’s absolutely a worthwhile topic to be informed about, but this is not the place for it. Thanks.

To start, I’ve been using instacart for deliveries from local markets and https://sameday.costco.com for Costco deliveries (which is run by Instacart). In Los Angeles, I’ve found that for two weeks I placed an order on Sunday and it gets scheduled to arrive on Friday or Saturday. However, last week I was able to get a same day delivery, so I think they improved their staffing, etc.

Also, I subscribed to www.imperfectfoods.com for fresh produce delivered weekly (or biweekly), which I found to be excellent! It’s not available in all areas (I had friends in south Florida who wanted it, but they don’t operate there). I have a referral code to save $10 off your first order (and they give me $10), but I’m not sure it’s TUG policy to post those types of links, so if you want it just PM me (I assume that’s permitted...if not, someone tell me and I’ll edit this post).

A few days ago I received an order from Porto’s (https://www.portosbakery.com) based here in LA but they will ship anywhere. I haven’t tried it yet as it went straight into my freezer, but I plan to this week. If you aren’t familiar with them, Porto’s is an institution...an absolutely fantastic bakery. They are offering a limited selection to order for delivery. The package arrives with dry ice to keep it cold, and is shipped quickly.

I’ve also ordered some food products from Amazon, Rite Aid, and others, but of course selection is limited and all prepackaged long shelf life items.

What delivery services are you using?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just placed my first instacart order about 5 mins ago and I'm hopping mad. I shopped for about 10 min. The whole way through (Stater Brothers) the banner across the top said "delivery: within 5 hours". I figured that they must have hired more people and I placed my $100 order. The minute I hit complete I received the following message: Delivery date: Sunday, April 5th. Which I would have considered before ordering but to go from an expected same day delivery to one 6 days away is quite the bait and switch. Some of the items that I ordered are things that I need within the next two days. Glad that others are having better experiences but this has really soured me. I even gave them a second chance but I feel duped.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
The is for the Costco information

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Have not tried delivery. Hope it doesn't come to that. So far, it's unnecessary. (fingers crossed)

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Dh was saying he was going to try the home grocery service (or more likely the curbside pickup) from Market Street (Albertson's). Neither he or I should be out in the stores due to our ages. I asked him about it and he now says he's not going to use it, he's going to the store. His sister, who also lives in Santa Fe, said it's "not working". I reminded him that for some reason there are lots of things that "don't work" for his sister. :rolleyes: According to her the store has been overwhelmed, they've stopped the curbside pickup. Sigh.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
I am using the curbside pickup service from Walmart. I've tried two of the local grocers for the same type of service but each one of them were only able to fill about half my list. Walmart has been able to fill 80%-90% of my list.

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
Have used Instacart for a delivery from Wegmans. Lots of items unfillable just like from Lowe’s Foods and Food Lion. Under the circumstances, totally expected. The Sourdough Bread was worth it. Used Postmates for a delivery of Chicken and Dumplings from Cracker Barrel. Was very good and relatively quick. Trying Grub Hub tonight.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Just placed my first instacart order about 5 mins ago and I'm hopping mad. I shopped for about 10 min. The whole way through (Stater Brothers) the banner across the top said "delivery: within 5 hours". I figured that they must have hired more people and I placed my $100 order. The minute I hit complete I received the following message: Delivery date: Sunday, April 5th. Which I would have considered before ordering but to go from an expected same day delivery to one 6 days away is quite the bait and switch. Some of the items that I ordered are things that I need within the next two days. Glad that others are having better experiences but this has really soured me. I even gave them a second chance but I feel duped.
Go check again, you can change it to sooner if something opens and it does. Yesterday I got an order that I put in the same day and then I realized I forgot a few things and put another order in last night that would be delivered later in the week. Earlier I looked and was able to move it to today. Also yesterday in NY there were no slots for my mom, today I was able to put in an order to be delivered today.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Instacart does not service our zip code, which many grocery chains use.

We have not received items from the following stores yet so I do not know if they are good:

- Meat: We got into Butcherbox for meat before they waitlist new customers. Our first shipment will arrive this week. I am satisfied with their selection of meat even though they are somewhat limited. Friends have used them and said they are fine.

- Veges/Fruits: We found Farmboxdirect and we expect our first delivery this Thursday. Limited selection but we are happy to get anything.

- We got on Imperfectfoods but the window of when we can select our items will not open for another 10 days. First delivery is 2 weeks away. No idea what to expect.

- I came across Target yesterday and they have a same day and next day delivery service which is not instacart and they service our zip code. Delivery fee of $99 per year or $9.99 per order. We may switch to Target delivery for many food items after our first delivery from Farmboxdirect and Imperfectfoods. Target has much better selection than Farmboxdirect.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well apparently the screw up was the April 5th message because the groceries just arrived. Counting my blessings.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
Love Imperfectfoods.com. Used them for a good year.
I do need to try Porto’s.

We are basically stocked so don’t have a need but looked into InstaCart.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Love Imperfectfoods.com. Used them for a good year.
I do need to try Porto’s.

We are basically stocked so don’t have a need but looked into InstaCart.
I would love to be able to order imperfectfoods.com because I love the concept. Unfortunately they do not deliver yet to my area.:(

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
Tried instacart this morning and struck out. Even though it says it delivers to my zip code, it keeps saying "no delivery times available, try choosing another store." Tried it for four major stores and gave up. :mad:

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Tried instacart this morning and struck out. Even though it says it delivers to my zip code, it keeps saying "no delivery times available, try choosing another store." Tried it for four major stores and gave up. :mad:

My advice is to keep the items in your cart and try again in the morning. It may take a few days but it’s likely you’ll get it scheduled.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
My main 3

Bjs wholesale club delivery for canned goods, kcups, cleaning supplies.

Walmart grocery delivery for just about anything other than meat. The trick is to secure a spot 2 days out and keep checking inventory for availability of what you want. Example: eggs....for days could not find on their delivery site, but I kept checking and there was a moment they offered and I was able to secure 2 18 packs. even better the offering was for generic brand.....they ended up substituting for name brand organic, free range.

Meat: Omaha steaks. Pricey, but with their $19.99 promo going on now it is not that bad. 4 bacon wrapped fillets for $19.99. I get 8!

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
My advice is to keep the items in your cart and try again in the morning. It may take a few days but it’s likely you’ll get it scheduled.

Agree...I am an EARLY riser. Today when I checked Walmart around 4am, I could have had a 8-9 am slot for tomorrow. The earlier the slot the better as the stores get stocked overnight typically

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Meat: Omaha steaks. Pricey, but with their $19.99 promo going on now it is not that bad. 4 bacon wrapped fillets for $19.99. I get 8!

I just looked at this offer. It’s now just two 5oz for $25 or two 6oz for $30. Really doesn’t sound like much of a deal to me.

For the post about https://www.butcherbox.com, I’m also on their waitlist but I have a friend who has ordered from them for a long time and says it’s excellent. Also, when comparing to Omaha, one is grass fed and the other corn fed.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I haven’t used grocery delivery services. We have a small market nearby and we still go there. We are in a small rural town about 2-3 hours from the SF Bay Area. We have one case here though. We have been having meal prep kits delivered from Hello Fresh. We started this before coronavirus but it is coming in handy right now. Every Friday, we get 4-5 meal Ingredients delivered. We aren’t really cooks so this makes it easy.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 16 wks; Maui Schooner, 1 EOY Wk; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I just looked at this offer. It’s now just two 5oz for $25 or two 6oz for $30. Really doesn’t sound like much of a deal to me.

For the post about https://www.butcherbox.com, I’m also on their waitlist but I have a friend who has ordered from them for a long time and says it’s excellent. Also, when comparing to Omaha, one is grass fed and the other corn fed.

I’m from Wisconsin and miss my corn fed beef. A lot of that is what you are used to taste wise.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I used the Safeway order-on line feature a few days ago and it worked perfectly. First it advised us that before ordering we needed to choose between delivery and pickup, and then lock in a slot. When I looked at delivery, the first available slots were about one week or more later. So I opted for pickup, and picked a slot four days out., today, and at a time that was convenient for me.

I placed the order and got confirmation. There was an option to tell them what to do if our specific selections weren't available. Options were: 1) same product different size (default); 2) similar product, same size; 3) no substitutions. Got everything we ordered except one unavailable item and a couple of items where brands were substituted. (E.g., got Dole pineapple chunks instead of Safeway store brand and and a substitution on a pasta sauce. Grated Italian cheese blend was unavailable with no substitution. (I wanted that for topping on a lasagna, but I can make do without that.)

We got a notice when they were ready to have us come by. I arrived at the store, parked in one of the reserved pickup spaces, and called the phone number to let them know I was there. About five minutes later, an employee came to the car with a cart that had our order. He opened the back hatch and put the groceries in without me even needing to get out of the car. Social distancing maintained. I tried to tip him, but they said they weren't allowed to accept tips. So I thanked him profusely, not just for bringing out the goods, but for the work being done by supermarket staff as essential employees in a setting where they can't avoid interacting with the public.

I got the goods home, and followed dirty/sterile procedures for the goods. I was quite pleased with the overall experience.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 16 wks; Maui Schooner, 1 EOY Wk; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
Tried again this evening and was successful. Persistence is key. Thanks Ken :thumbup:

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Make sure to check your final online receipts after orders are delivered. Tonight I had an Instacart order delivered to mom and two items that were supposedly replaced were missing in the order. We were charged $11 For them. I put a claim in and was refunded.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had luck with Stater Brothers. Not sure if there are any nearby. I haven't had any luck with Sprouts or Vons.

One other thing, I put one thing in my cart then check for delivery instead of shopping for 20 minutes only to find out that it can't be delivered.