• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Flying to Williamsburg, Va from NY

Corky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Any tips on the cheapest airline to take from NY? Also, what is the closest airport to Williamsburg, Va? Need car rental information too, if anyone has that.

Any input is greatly appreciated. My daughter and I plan to travel in early November of this year.

Thanks.

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
Try USAirways from LaGuardia into Newport News, VA. It's 20 minutes from Williamsburg and is generally cheaper than Richmond which is an hour away.

Sunterra

Reaction score
Distances to my favorite resort
RIC 44 miles 45 minutes
PHF 23 miles 35 minutes
ORF 49 miles 60 minutes
you figure it out based on your desired resort/schedules, car rental available at any of the above.

sfwilshire

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
When I went to Richmond recently, I was surprised to find the cheapest airfare from my local airport was to Norfolk. Wouldn't have even looked there except all the other fares were so high.

It pays to check all local airports. Well worth driving an extra hour to save hundreds.

Sheila

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
All three airports are very easy to get in and out of and all are right off Interstate 64. Go with your best all in price for airfare and auto. Without horrible traffic, you'll be in Williamsburg in less than an hour from each.

gorevs9

TUG Member
Reaction score
kayak.com is showing flights from JFK or LGA to Richmond for $139 (Airtran or Delta). PHF, in Newport News, is the closest (20-30 mintues), but Richmond and Norfolk are only about an hour away.

Last edited:

Jeni

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just be careful with the time you arrive and depart if selecting Norfolk. During afternoon rush (starts around 4-4:30pm), it consistently takes approximately 2 hours to get from the airport to Wburg.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Williamsburg/Newport News International is the nearest airport to Williamsburg, then Norfolk International. Please avoild flying into these airports between 3PM and 5PM. Two words "congestive traffic" on the interstate and the tunnels.

gorevs9

TUG Member
Reaction score
Williamsburg/Newport News International is the nearest airport to Williamsburg, then Norfolk International. Please avoild flying into these airports between 3PM and 5PM. Two words "congestive traffic" on the interstate and the tunnels.
Williamsburg/Newport News International is west of the tunnels and therefore not impacted by tunnel traffic, though I did hit some traffic (Saturday beach traffic?) on I-64 between the airport and W-burg. Fortunately there are ways to bypass I-64 on the way to W-burg (Rt 143, Rt 60, etc). If the OP is traveling on a weekend in November, traffic should be lighter.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are driving from the Norfolk International Airport you must drive through the Hampton Roads BridgeTunnel between Norfolk and Hampton or take the Midtown or Downtown Tunnel from Norfolk to Portsmouth, VA than take the Monitor/Merimac Tunnel to travel to Williamsburg,VA.

Flying into the WMBGS/NN Airport there are no tunnels but between 3 - 6 pm there is heavy traffic congestion on I-64 Monday's thru Friday's.

Last edited:

Jeni

TUG Member
Reaction score
Flying into the WMBGS/NN Airport there are no tunnels but between 3 - 6 pm there is heavy traffic congestion on I-64 Monday's thru Friday's.

And lately, there has been HEAVY traffic every weekend on I-64, usually due to an accident, but for the past three weeks, east or west bound has been completely stopped around the Jefferson area and still backed up around Rt. 60 and Rt. 143. Agree with PP, if you can avoid 3-6pm M-F, you're ahead!

gorevs9

TUG Member
Reaction score
Would working your way over to Yorktown and the Colonial Parkway into Williamsburg be a viable alternative or is this too far out of the way?

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
The traffic Jeni refers to starts at about route 17 (J Clyde Morris Blvd.) and goes at least to the point where the lanes go from 4 to 2 (a couple miles west of 143/Jefferson Avenue). It can be all the way to Ft. Eustice Blvd. If you can navigate your way down 17 to Yorktown to the Parkway, you'll avoid it, but the real question is whether you'll actually save any time.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
The traffic Jeni refers to starts at about route 17 (J Clyde Morris Blvd.) and goes at least to the point where the lanes go from 4 to 2 (a couple miles west of 143/Jefferson Avenue). It can be all the way to Ft. Eustice Blvd. If you can navigate your way down 17 to Yorktown to the Parkway, you'll avoid it, but the real question is whether you'll actually save any time.

Big Matt she is heading north to Gloucester County (route 17)to enter Colonial Parkway and traffic is very heavy.

Corky

TUG Member
Reaction score
And I thought NYC traffic was bad! Didn't plan on hitting more of the same while vacationing in Virginia.

Thanks for the warnings.

I'll search for cheapest fare, while checking on arrival times.

pointsjunkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
going there tomorrow, flying fom lga to newport news.

any good restaurants that are a must?

how close is a costco from williamsburg?

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
My favorite is Sal's by Victor which is a local Italian restaurant. But the Cheese Shop is famous for lunch food and the Blue Talon Bistro is a fine dining experience worth having. Aromas is a coffee/dessert/sandwich/soup/salad plave that is wonderful. Love their Southwest Chicken wrap!

Jeni

TUG Member
Reaction score
going there tomorrow, flying fom lga to newport news.

any good restaurants that are a must?

how close is a costco from williamsburg?

Costco is in Newport News, at the intersection of Jefferson Ave (Rt.143) and Oyster Point Road. From Williamsburg, you can take 64 East to the Victory/Oyster Point Road exit (take Oyster Point). If traffic is light, plan on about 30 minutes each way. If the interstate is backed up you can take 143 east from Wburg, but there are plenty of traffic lights when you get into Newport News, so plan on 45 min each way if you take 143.

javabean

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you have a car, you might want to consider driving. Driving into the city from upstate can be a hassle and you could possibly be to Williamsburg in less time than getting to the airport, waiting, flying, getting a rental, and driving to your destination. If you're timesharing, you could bring some of your kitchen supplies with you. There are so many great places to visit around Williamsburg and also along your route. You'd save money too. It also depends on when during November you would be going

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you have a car, you might want to consider driving. Driving into the city from upstate can be a hassle and you could possibly be to Williamsburg in less time than getting to the airport, waiting, flying, getting a rental, and driving to your destination. If you're timesharing, you could bring some of your kitchen supplies with you. There are so many great places to visit around Williamsburg and also along your route. You'd save money too. It also depends on when during November you would be going

I completely agree. I'd far rather drive than have the airport hassle!