• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

florida DMV question?

irish

TUG Member
Reaction score
okay so here"s the question and problem..
aunt in florida is 95 and slight dementia. NO LONGER DRIVES however, her license is still valid till 6/12.. she has a car, registered in her name BUT i drive it when i come down to see her.. i am also on her car insurance policy.. now, when her license expires in JUNE 2012 can the CAR and INSURANCE still stay in her name even though she is no longer has a valid license? see the problem is in the subdivision she lives(gated community) to get a sticker to pass through the gate, they require a registration with the address therefore proving she lives beyond the gates.. I am from NY and only visit so the car can't be registered in my name(NY ADDRESS) .. any suggestions and answers appreciated..
TIA

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
aunt in florida is 95 and slight dementia. NO LONGER DRIVES however, her license is still valid till 6/12.. she has a car, registered in her name BUT i drive it when i come down to see her.. i am also on her car insurance policy.. now, when her license expires in JUNE 2012 can the CAR and INSURANCE still stay in her name even though she is no longer has a valid license? see the problem is in the subdivision she lives(gated community) to get a sticker to pass through the gate, they require a registration with the address therefore proving she lives beyond the gates.. I am from NY and only visit so the car can't be registered in my name(NY ADDRESS) .. any suggestions and answers appreciated..
TIA

I think you see a problem that doesnt exist. I know lots of people (snowbirds) that own or rent in gated communities here that have a car registered up north, that they use when they are here.

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Here's what I'd do...I'd keep the car registered in her name, paying it myself, of course, since I am the only one who uses it. I'd also offer to pay the insurance on it (if this is too costly for you, then her car should be sold, and you'd have to rent one when you visited). If you *do* decide to keep the car registered, then I'd take the distributor cap off and hide it between trips...you never know, and wouldn't you feel bad if something happened?

I just thought...how can she keep insurance in her name if she doesn't have a driver's license? I know that isn't possible where I live as they run your driver's license for accidents and tickets to rate the policy. This may complicate things further, because if you aren't a resident, how would you insure the car?

Fern

Last edited:

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
To register or renew a registration, she must have insurance. People can own and register cars without a DL, except that, she's required to carry insurance on any vehicle she owns, since an owner may be held liable for damages caused by whoever drove it

Therein lies the problem... Finding someone to insure it when the insured does not have a DL. Good luck with that.

A better solution might be for you and her to talk to whoever manages the gate to see if you could be given a pass, regardless. It never hurts to ask.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Does she have to surrender her license or take a test to keep her license? IF NOT, just renew her license.

We hid keys on my Dad's car; all 17 copies of them. But he still had his driver's license.

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The more I think of it, disregard my advice above. It wasn't fully thought out.

I wouldn't renew her license, even if a doctor says her vision is OK. And I'd take steps to disable the car as long as it remains in her garage, just in case.

You know, just in case she forgets she no longer drives. Much as you may think she no longer drives, SHE may forget that. It is not uncommon for people with dementia "to want to go home.". My dad wanted to go home to 1941 ( in 1995). My grandmother wanted "to go home to live by Goldie." This was in 1975. She had last seen Goldie in 1954.

Imagine if she felt like this, Got the car keys and took off in the car, forgetting that she no longer drove. Doesn't matter that she wouldn't know where to go. What matters is she could end up in a deadly accident. You'd never forgive yourself, but it would be too late.

Don't take the risk. It simply isn't worth it.

If it wewe me, I'd sell or donate her car, cancel her insurance, and rent a car whenever I visit. Surely her HOA has guest passes for situations like that.

Fern

Last edited:

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
TIA

Can't she just add you to the title so you both own it? :shrug:
It would probably be cheaper for you to insure it than her. My mom wanted me to give her title to the car that I had been paying insurance on for her as a second driver and she got quite a shock when her insurance rates doubled for her as a solo senior driver. Might be cheaper for you to own the car. instead.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
The more I think of it, disregard my advice above. It wasn't fully thought out.

I wouldn't renew her license, even if a doctor says her vision is OK. And I'd take steps to disable the car as long as it remains in her garage, just in case.

You know, just in case she forgets she no longer drives. Much as you may think she no longer drives, SHE may forget that. It is not uncommon for people with dementia "to want to go home.". My dad wanted to go home to 1941 ( in 1995). My grandmother wanted "to go home to live by Goldie." This was in 1975. She had last seen Goldie in 1954.

Imagine if she felt like this, Got the car keys and took off in the car, forgetting that she no longer drove. Doesn't matter that she wouldn't know where to go. What matters is she could end up in a deadly accident. You'd never forgive yourself, but it would be too late.

Don't take the risk. It simply isn't worth it.

If it wewe me, I'd sell or donate her car, cancel her insurance, and rent a car whenever I visit. Surely her HOA has guest passes for situations like that.

Fern

I agree with Fern here. It's very hard for elderly people who have been driving for decades to let go of it. The car in the driveway would be a constant temptation, even if your mother KNOWS that she should not be driving. Sell it and rent a car when you visit.

L

laurac260

I can't really answer much other than insurance in Florida is outrageous. It was a full three times more costly to insure our cars in FL than OH. Seems it would be cheaper to just sell the car, drop the policy and rent one when you go.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
You must go in to the DMV when your license expires if you are 65 or over - they will not automatically renew the license.
are you sure about this? I renewed online , live in florida

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
You must go in to the DMV when your license expires if you are 65 or over - they will not automatically renew the license.

not that it makes a difference here...but the age is 80

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Here's some info from the link I posted in an earlier post in this thread:

All drivers 80 years of age or older who wish to renew their driver license are required to pass a vision test. The test may be administered at a Florida driver license office at no additional charge. Should you elect to have your vision tested at a driver license office, please schedule an appointment so that we can serve you more efficiently. Your other option is to have a doctor licensed to practice in Florida or a licensed physician at a federally established veterans’ hospital administer the vision test. He or she must be a medical doctor, osteopathic physician, or an optometrist. If the vision test is administered by your doctor a Mature Driver Vision Test Form (HSMV 72119) must be completed and submitted to the department. You can also ask your doctor to file the form electronically to our web site. The doctor completing the form must be licensed in Florida, out-of–state doctors are not authorized to provide this information. Read more . . .

Richard

lvhmbh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes I'm sure!!! My license was expiring on my 65th birthday (this last November) and I received a letter from the DMV telling me that I had to go there to renew. I had to take my passport (or birth certificate) social security card, and two bills. I also had to take a vision test. I live in Florida and was told that is the law!

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I know you can only renew once online, and then you have to go in to renew your license.

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
Yes I'm sure!!! My license was expiring on my 65th birthday (this last November) and I received a letter from the DMV telling me that I had to go there to renew. I had to take my passport (or birth certificate) social security card, and two bills. I also had to take a vision test. I live in Florida and was told that is the law!

I think this was just coincidental that you were turning 65 when you got this notice. It's now required of everybody renewing to do this. :annoyed:

pranas

TUG Member
Reaction score

You can only renew your license so many times before having to go in and renew it in person. I had to go in once to do this and I was nowhere near 65. I believe it was because of the vision test. They want it tested every so often.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
From the Florida DMV website:
Beginning January 1, 2010, Florida has new documentation requirements for residents renewing or obtaining a new driver license or identification card. For office visits, you must bring original documents that prove your identity, social security number and residential address.

You must visit an office with these documents:
■ If you are applying for your first driver license or identification card
■ When your current credential expires and you have already used the one-time "convenience" renewal option.
■ If you have changed your name since your last renewal (eg: by marriage or divorce)

If none of these apply then you can renew your license online, or by mail.

All drivers 80 years of age or older who wish to renew their driver license are required to pass a vision test. The test may be administered at a Florida driver license office at no additional charge. Your other option is to have a doctor licensed to practice in Florida or a licensed physician at a federally established veterans’ hospital administer the vision test.

For acceptable documents, see: http://www.gathergoget.com/checklist/checklist.aspx