• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Floor Material Choices and Consideration for First Floor

yan19454

Reaction score
What kind of the material is best for family room , living room, kitchen, dinner room ? Thanks.

Wonka

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
More info needed

I think to get a reasonable answer to your questions you need to provide a lot more information. For example, where do you live, family size & pets, traffic use & patterns, cleaning preferences, etc.

A caution. I live in FL. We purchased a home with lots of tile. It had a few cracks. I had a tile installer here this morning and learned that the cracks are most likely the result of not laying a pad of some kind (felt) down first on the concrete. The cracks are actually the cracks in the concrete floor causing the cracks in the tile. The tile was installed improperly. So, now instead of replacing 8 tiles we're looking at replacing all the tile for several thousands of dollars. Just my luck.

Chrisky

TUG Member
Reaction score
My choices, and what we've done, are porcelain tiles in kitchen and eating area, family room, living room, and dining room good quality 3/4" hardwood. In the living room we then put in an area rug in the center of the room.

yan19454

Reaction score
I live in Great Phila area. Right now I live by myself. no pet . middle cleaning preferences. Due to the distance to work, I plan to rent the house out. Currently I have a ceramic tile floor. the realtor told me. Most people would think it is cold to walk on the floor. People prefer hard wood. the house is around 1900 sq ft. I think about convert the house to appeal to general public. Personally I like this kind of flooring. so.. Thanks.

pcgirl54

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
For cold climates and resale value wood is better but you must consider the room, the size and it's function. Is it a mud room or a room with with high traffic. Are you considereing engineered wood or true hard wood which can be sanded and refinshed?

Our kitchen is very large and also very cold so adding tiles would be terrible unless there was radiant heat in the floors. Right now we have high grade Armstrong that has survived were multiple pets and kids but has reached it' shelf life. When we redo the kitchen next year we are going with hardwood.

Tiles crack,wood floors need to be refinshed in time. Most people I know went with hardwood throughout the house and love it.

For tile the subfloor is critical as installed improperly you get cracks.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
When we bought our 55 year-old house it had carpet throughout the main level with vinyl in the basement. We remodeled the kitchen, adding cabinets and a 3/4 " hardwood floor there and in the entry hall and office. I messed up hooking up the ice-maker and warped several of the planks in the kitchen floor. That was 7-8 years ago and I felt bad every time I walked on that warped floor. Last week we had it refinished. It looks brand new. Moral or this story: Wood looks great, adds value and can be repaired.

Jim Ricks

yan19454

Reaction score
Climates wise PA is like Massachusetts. I need to know more about the pro and con of engineered wood or true hard wood .
I am looking for
Owens Plankfloor
Canterbury Signature Engineered
Real Wood Floors engineered
right now .

any good place for purchasing those.

Deb from NC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We put an engineered wood floor (Brazilian Cherry) in our kitchen about a year ago. We love it, what an improvement over the white (!) vinyl we had.
It looks great and is easy to clean. We have a Bruce hardwood in our dining room and living room and I don't think it looks as good as the engineered in the kitchen, although it is in good shape and is original to the house (20 years). In NC, the more wood the better, it's very popular in our area!