• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Floating weeks at Newport long wharf?

jmpellet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello: I saw an ad for floating weeks (weeks 25-35) at the Newport Long Wharf. I thought there were mainly fixed weeks or converted points here. Would a float during these weeks be relegated to the shoulders as there are many fixed weeks owners who will snatch them up?

Thanks,
Jo-Ann

Jya-Ning

TUG Member
Reaction score
No, fix week is fix week, each has dedicate unit and week. Floating has its own inventory pool. Don't know how many in that pool and how does it managed, so can not tell. But in theory, if it has one unit put into floating pool like this, they can only sell exact number of week on this unit, so there should be exact 10 owner for that unit in the pool. And if they put 2 units, there will be exact 20 owners.

It becomes difficulty to figure it out when the pool is shared with other different floating slots. So if there are owners that float over like week 17-25, 32-47, and it is the same unit in the pool, you will have chance more people fighting same week (in this case, week 25, and 32 to 35), and thus although some week is not shared (26 to 31), it still causes same over crowd situation.

Jya-Ning

ausman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jo-Anne,

I think I have run across you on other sites.?

Long Wharf was sold in 3 floating periods. Red, White and Blue time. Wyndham conversions were done based on that.

If you can purchase a week 25-35 float you can reserve any week within that period.

It probably will not be converted to Wyndham points as explained elsewhere.

You will be in competition with other floating week owners as with all floating weeks so the earlier in the process you reserve the higher the chance of getting the week desired. But any week within that range is very good.

pianodinosaur

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
We had the pleasure of staying at the Fairfield LongWarf in Newport, RI before Wyndham took it over. The location is fantastic. The rooms are large. There is a great deal to see. We had some of the best seafood ever. You can check out the oldest active synagogue in the USA, where George Washington gave a speech, to the church where Jackie and JKF got married. You can go on a mansion tour and a murder mystery train ride. You will not be disappointed. We stayed in October 2003.

jmpellet

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are very close to Newport (40 minutes) so it could be a sure thing for a vacation every year - even when flying costs are prohibiitive. I feel like I'm torn between a very close timeshare on the Cape or in Newport or one just for points somewhere else. Still trying to weigh my options so I appreciate all the advice.

Because Newport Long Wharf is floating (in this case) would I simply reserve a week (e.g. 30) and then deposit it into RCI? Because this is a floating week and not points would I have to pay the annual RCI membership?

Thanks,
Jo-Ann

acesneights

TUG Member
Reaction score
Putting a prime summer week at Newport into RCI is a very bad move.

You might be able to rent the week for $1000-$2000 and get an RCI Extra Vacation for less than $500 or last minute week for less than $250.

If you deposit that week with RCI, you will see RCI renting it out for $1000-$2000.

Stan

jmpellet

TUG Member
Reaction score
So would this timeshare be a good "investment" - and not investment in the traditional sense since no TS is a real investment? I know you said it would be bad to deposit it into RCI but if I didn't or couldn't market it myself, could I still deposit it and get a reasonable week somewhere else?

Thanks,
Jo-Ann

Jya-Ning

TUG Member
Reaction score
So would this timeshare be a good "investment" - and not investment in the traditional sense since no TS is a real investment?
Jo-Ann

Good or bad is depending on how much you paid in purchase cost. It stands very good chance to get rented and recover the MF and more.

But if for some reason, you can not get rented out, and has to deposit to RCI, since it probably very close to the trip date, expect loss of trading power.

If you deposit to RCI at say 10 month out, it should have very good trading power.

Jya-Ning

jmpellet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last question I think...How does the floating reservation work? Do you get to reserve at the same time as some who owns a fixed week. So, for example, I own a shoulder week that includes week 21, do I get to book at the same time as someone who owns week 21?

Thanks,
Jo-Ann

Jya-Ning

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last question I think...How does the floating reservation work? Do you get to reserve at the same time as some who owns a fixed week. So, for example, I own a shoulder week that includes week 21, do I get to book at the same time as someone who owns week 21?

Thanks,
Jo-Ann

No. The owner with fix week will always has that unit reserved for him.

There suppose to have a pool identify each units that belongs to the floating pool. So say if there are 20 units in that floating period from 25 to 35, there will be 220 (20 unit * 11 weeks) interval that can be reserved for 220 owners. And the resort will have a rule when you can make reservation, some of resorts I know are like 1 year or longer, so if you call at exact that time, you maybe able to pick the week you want, but if you call last, you will have the only week left for selection.

Jya-Ning

susieq

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bay Voyage, Jamestown, RI
Jo-Ann,

We own a floating week in Jamestown, July/August (25 - 35 I think). When I pay our MF over the phone, I request & confirm our week and unit at that point. If we plan to use our week ourselves, fine. But if we should decide to exchange, as long as I look far enough out, (10 months +), I have NEVER had a problem going where we want.

Sue

BTW - We've owned since '96, and only stayed in Jamestown twice.

Last edited:

e.bram

Reaction score
Although Long Warf is a nice resort, very few(if any) have direct water views. Many if the TSes if Newport/Jamestown do and also have full kitchens. I would look for one of those. I am staying at Newport Overlook, a 2 br 2 1/2 bath townhouse with full kitchen right on the bay.

susieq

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bay Voyage, Jamestown, RI
Even though the Bay Voyage units don't have full kitchens, only partial, we rarely eat more than breakfast in the unit. There are Beautiful Bay Views ~ also The Newport Bridge lit up at night ~ all this right outside your window.