• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Flights to Myrtle Beach area?

sls1003

TUG Member
Reaction score
We're planning a vacation to Myrtle Beach at the end of April 2009 and I'm wondering where to fly into and on what airline. I know the Myrtle Beach airport is small and we don't mind a little bit of a drive so we're also considering Charleston. We have a two year old so we'd prefer to fly direct but the prices I'm seeing to these two airports are really expensive. Any other suggestions? We're in Chicago. Thanks!

riverdees05

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are going in February and flying into Wilmington N. C.

Mapquest has Estimated Time: 1 hour 36 minutes Estimated Distance: 75.40 miles

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Charleston is about 30 minutes farther than Wilmington coming from the South. Those are the closest ones. Charlotte will definitely get the best flight options.

riverdees05

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mapquest

Charleston, SC - Myrtle Beach, SC

Estimated Time: 2 hours 3 minutes Estimated Distance: 94.96 miles

Charlotte, NC - Myrtle Beach, SC

Estimated Time: 3 hours 46 minutes Estimated Distance: 169.75 miles

sls1003

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions! Both Wilmington, NC and Charlotte, NC were over $100 cheaper than flying into Myrtle Beach or Charleston. Then just for fun I started checking out other airports based on the "distance to major cities" in the II confirmation and found out that flying into Raleigh/Durham is another $100 cheaper than Wilmington and Charlotte. Mapquest has the distance from Raleigh and from Charlotte to be about the same - right around 4 hours to the resort were at. So now my choice looks to be flying non-stop into Raleigh for $100 less a ticket or flying into Wilmington with a layover and a plane change (with a toddler) for a $100 more but a shorter drive. Any thoughts? Has anybody done the drive from Raleigh? We're probably leaning that way, but 4 hours was a little longer drive than we'd planned. Thanks again for the help!

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Here's the way I always try to look at this situation.

Take the total cost of each option into consideration. In your case it's the cost of the flight, rental car, and gas leaving the airport and returning.

Then take the total amount of time from your house to the timeshare resort. I know driving is a pain, but so is changing planes and waiting in an airport.

My last comment is that whenever you have to change planes, you introduce a very lousy part of air travel that most of the time you can't control. With a direct flight, your flight can be late, but you still get to the destination. With layovers, you run the risk of missing connections, and with places like Wilmington where there aren't a lot of flights, you may miss an entire day by missing that connection.

Take the direct flight into Raleigh unless the car rental and gas price makes a huge difference.

Poette

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would consider waiting awhile before booking anything. Although they encourage early booking, you will quite often see some lower airfare specials in December and/or January and even some specials later than that for travel in spring. Once you decide which location works best, keep looking on a daily basis; use the travel web sites to see who is offering the lowest rates and then go direct to the carrier's web site and save a few more dollars.