• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Fishing on Maui

nygiants11991

TUG Member
Reaction score
My two son in laws want to fish while we are on Maui. Does anyone have any recommendations/personal experiences?

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I like to shore fish. I target ulua and sea bass with a stout rod tethered to the beach and use a smaller rod with a kast master to catch bait. Any fish silver or red is good to eat or to use for bait.

I take a couple of 9 ft rods that break down to 5 pieces. These are my casting rods. They are spin cast and are set up with Okuma reels loaded with 30 pound power pro. I also bring a larger reel loaded with 80 pound power pro. I go to a Costco or Walmart and buy a cheap heavy rod for plunkin. I have broke or snapped three different rods on big fish when the fish run so watch the drag.

Other things you should have are a chair, small ice chest, hat and spf 30 lotion. Other gear you should have are a knife, pliers, glove, 18 inch steel leader, hooks, large adjustable float bobber, large egg weights, magic thread and mesh.

The magic thread and mesh are for using frozen squid. The bottom fish in Maui have a really hard bite and will steal your bait dead constantly.

Live bait caught wiping the shoreline doesn't get hammered on as much.

Use the pliers to remove the hooks. Most of these fish can bite the tip of your finger off. I like a glove for a better grip.

I look for deeper water behind the waves and an incoming tide with a good view of sunset.

Bill

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
My two son in laws want to fish while we are on Maui. Does anyone have any recommendations/personal experiences?

Be aware, that on the charter boats in Hawaii, it's customary for the boat to keep the fish. You only get a small pkg. of what you catch.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Be aware, that on the charter boats in Hawaii, it's customary for the boat to keep the fish. You only get a small pkg. of what you catch.

I took a picture of this truck while we were waiting for the stop light in Lahaina.

2010-02-23%2017.13.05-XL.jpg

Maybe the driver was the charter captain. I like the "got fish?" bumper sticker.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Yeah - pretty sure it's not a rental car. ;)

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Looks like a small marlin ( a ou) in back of the truck. Those things are an acquired taste that I haven't yet acquired.

Nice picture. :D You don't get to see that every day.

Bill

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
Do you need a fishing license if you fish off shore (into the ocean)?

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Do you need a fishing license if you fish off shore (into the ocean)?

No license required. You can give away or trade your catch but you do need a license to sell seafood in Hawaii.

About the only thing you need to watch for is fishing in some ones spot. When a local tells you that your in their spot, you should ask them if they need you to move or if they can fish around you. Usually they will let you stay and will give you tips on what your doing wrong.

There are some areas that are posted as no trespassing, some areas that are posted as no fishing and some areas that are dangerous. The dangerous areas are the rocks that get covered by sneaky waves occasionally. These sneaky waves can knock you over. If you are fishing rocky areas be sure to wear shoes and not flip flops. The rock includes very sharp lava edges.

Bill