• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

fish found in boys bladder

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Odd? I find it completely unbelievable! How bizarre...

Deb

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Setting aside my overall disgust and the "Eeewww!" factor, methinks the 14 year old boy was doing something more with the fish than holding it while going to the bathroom. No way on Earth a fish of ANY size could "just slip in." The male anatomy doesn't work that way.

So yeah, counseling for him is definitely in order. Sorry - the "Eeewww!" factor just came back. :eek:

Dave

Don

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is a small catfish, I believe from South America, that is attracted to the scent of urine. It has been known to swim into the urethras of people, but it is usually cattle and other larger animals that are its victims. It usually gets stuck in the urethra and causes pain and infection. I'm sorry I can't remember its name and I would have too many books to look through and too little time to find it right now.

Kay H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Must have been some tricky fish. Falls from boy's hand and on way down to toilet , in mid air, happens to stop right at penis level, stop prolpulsion and swim up urethra to bladder. That is the trickiest fish I ever heard of. I guess it never heard of the laws of gravity.:zzz:

laura1957

TUG Member
Reaction score
Setting aside my overall disgust and the "Eeewww!" factor, methinks the 14 year old boy was doing something more with the fish than holding it while going to the bathroom. No way on Earth a fish of ANY size could "just slip in." The male anatomy doesn't work that way.

So yeah, counseling for him is definitely in order. Sorry - the "Eeewww!" factor just came back. :eek:

Dave

I haven't gotten over the "Eeeeewww" at all.

Wouldn't it have been easier to just put the fish down (or at least used his other hand!!) while going to the bathroom? THe just slipping in doesnt sound possible to me either.

Don

TUG Member
Reaction score
I found it. It was near the end of "Exotic Tropical Fishes, Vol. II".
It is called the Candiru (Vandellia Cirrhosa).
Here's an excerpt:
"Natives who do not have any fear whatever for the supposedly, (and on occasion actually) fierce Piranahs, are very cautious where this little devil is concerned. Strangest thing about them is that they seem attracted by the presence of urine in the water and if they find that the odor is coming from a large animal (man included) they will actually force their way, head first, into the urethreal opening. Here the spiny fins prevent the Candiru from backing out and, very unfortunately for its host, the little fish is soon wedged firmly where nothing but a surgical operation...can remove it."

I guess I should have read Wonka's post first before going straight to posting.
Vol. II was originally made up from tear outs that were included in the monthly magazine, "Tropical Fish Hobbyist" for quite a number of years. This is how I accumulated my volume. They stopped putting the tear outs in the Magazine in the early eighties. It's hard to tell exactly when the sheet on the Candiru was printed, but it was known for it's peculiarity well before then.

Last edited:

LAX Mom

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Doesn't anyone here watch Grey's Anatomy? This happened to a patient on Grey's. So of course it could happen in real life!!

Last edited:

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Come on, everybody... the article stated the fish was a small Betta.

Deb

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Come on, everybody... the article stated the fish was a small Betta.

Deb

I'm with Deb. I don't care how small that betta was, it betta be mighty mighty small to be swimming upstream like that.

mo1950

TUG Member
Reaction score
My husband has been traveling to Brazil for many years for his company.
He travels all over, frequently to remote regions. Brazilians he works with have told him to never urinate even close to water. The fish are attracted to urine. They will actually jump out of the water, up into the penis, go into the urethra and attach themselves with barbs. It is painful in the extreme.

In remote sections of the country, people cannot get to the doctor for days.
So if this happens to someone, the men immediately cut off their own penis before the fish can get any farther up the urethra.

I know this sounds bizarre and unbelievable, but it really is true.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's a betta! They don't even come from South America! And even if it WAS one of those Amazon River urine-following species, how would it get into the kid's bladder?

Jan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I saw on Oprah when she had Dr. Oz on and he talked about a fish that can live in men. I just remember how yuckie--but don't remember how the fish gets there. Jan

mo1950

TUG Member
Reaction score
I did not say it was a betta. I do not know what the name of the fish is.

But this urine following fish does live in South America and yes, this does happen.

What I told you is true; I am not a liar and neither is my husband.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe you about the South American fish. I've even heard of it before.

The original article, in the original post that started this thread, said the fish was a betta, and that this incident happened in India.