• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

First Time Points Renter

codfishfan

Reaction score
I am a non-MVC member renting points from a reputable TUG member. Thank you all for educating me about this option in the first place.

Using Marriott's online system I have verified that a reservation exists in my name in the correct resort/time period.

Since this is my first time, I had a couple of questions:

1. Should I also validate the reservation by calling the resort? My assumption is that they will just look up the reservation in the same online system that I just used, but I'm perfectly willing to call if that's recommended.

2. As a person renting points, is there anything else I should be aware of regarding check-in?

Thanks!

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am a non-MVC member renting points from a reputable TUG member. Thank you all for educating me about this option in the first place.

Using Marriott's online system I have verified that a reservation exists in my name in the correct resort/time period.

Since this is my first time, I had a couple of questions:

1. Should I also validate the reservation by calling the resort? My assumption is that they will just look up the reservation in the same online system that I just used, but I'm perfectly willing to call if that's recommended.

2. As a person renting points, is there anything else I should be aware of regarding check-in?

Thanks!

1. Why not? It will be another assurance for you.

2. Since you don't own with MVC the person renting you the points must have made the reservation. Ask if they own at the resort. If so, ask them to ask the rooms control for your preferred room location. Nothing is guaranteed but depending on the resort and the person's status with MVC it could be helpful getting the location you want.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
The resort may not even be able to access your reservation this far out. It has been my experience that the resort doesn't receive reservation details until about four weeks out.

Since you are able to verify it online, that would be enough for me. I am actually surprised that you can pull the reservation up in your name on Marriott.com. My experience is that I have had to just add the guests name as an additional guest on the reservation and that these were not usually searchable when looking at the reservation on Marriott.com.

rrazzorr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since you are able to verify it online, that would be enough for me. I am actually surprised that you can pull the reservation up in your name on Marriott.com. My experience is that I have had to just add the guests name as an additional guest on the reservation and that these were not usually searchable when looking at the reservation on Marriott.com.

This feature has been working for me for years; as long as you have the reservation number, date of the check-in and your name has been added to the reservation, one would be able to confirm via Reservations on the Marriott.com

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
This feature has been working for me for years; as long as you have the reservation number, date of the check-in and your name has been added to the reservation, one would be able to confirm via Reservations on the Marriott.com

Interesting. I rented points for a friend a while back and had the owner we were renting from add their name as a guest. I couldn't pull the reservation up in their name using all the details you indicated. Same for a points reservation I made for a co-worker earlier this year. I added her name as an additional guest when I made the reservation online. I could pull the reservation up in my name, but not hers. Perhaps the names were not added correctly?

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
I am a non-MVC member renting points from a reputable TUG member.
If the TUGBBS member is truly reputable, I would not worry about all these details. Nor would I seek advice from us un-reputable members. :rofl:

(Enjoy your vacation!)

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Interesting. I rented points for a friend a while back and had the owner we were renting from add their name as a guest. I couldn't pull the reservation up in their name using all the details you indicated. Same for a points reservation I made for a co-worker earlier this year. I added her name as an additional guest when I made the reservation online. I could pull the reservation up in my name, but not hers. Perhaps the names were not added correctly?

I don't know if this affects the ability of the guest to pull up the reservation online, but they will be sent an E-Mail confirmation in their name by Marriott IF you specify that they are the primary renter at the time the reservation is made.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
1. Why not? It will be another assurance for you.

2. Since you don't own with MVC the person renting you the points must have made the reservation. Ask if they own at the resort. If so, ask them to ask the rooms control for your preferred room location. Nothing is guaranteed but depending on the resort and the person's status with MVC it could be helpful getting the location you want.

With a DC Points reservation the DC Member doesn't have to be a Weeks Owner at any of the resorts s/he books with DC Points in order to make requests for room preferences. All resorts send out pre-arrival emails several weeks before check-in dates to the owners/members; the DC Member will be able to ask the OP then if he'd like any of the given choices to be selected. (I think some owners/members will forward the emails to their renters for them to respond directly, but I prefer to not add any additional email addresses to the process just in case.)