• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

First Time Marriott Buying Advice (First Post)

celosch

TUG Member
Reaction score
After spending several weeks researching timeshares I decided to join TUG after seeing for the 1,000th time that this was the place to be!

My wife and I are Marriott loyal and are definitely interested in buying with them. We are committed to family vacations every year for years to come. I have a few questions that hopefully can be answered.

We've learned that most people recommend to buy where you plan to vacation or somewhere within driving distance. Being in Pennsylvania, this may not be relevant since Myrtle Beach/Hilton Head are the closest options, at a 10 hour drive away. Should I hold out and try to buy here (realizing these are difficult to get into) or target a unit elsewhere with good trade value? I know this may not be ideal, I have a family member who is also interested in eventually buying and they've committed to using weeks I'm unable to trade wherever I buy as I learn the ropes of renting, trading etc.

In terms of seasons, my wife is a teacher so more often than not we would be vacationing in any week in July or August. Do I need to buy during these weeks only to be able to trade into them from elsewhere?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

tynian16

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of buying my first timeshare as well so I don't have any answers for you but am curious to hear people's replies.

Best of luck with everything!

Mamianka

TUG Member
Reaction score
After spending several weeks researching timeshares I decided to join TUG after seeing for the 1,000th time that this was the place to be!

My wife and I are Marriott loyal and are definitely interested in buying with them. We are committed to family vacations every year for years to come. I have a few questions that hopefully can be answered.

We've learned that most people recommend to buy where you plan to vacation or somewhere within driving distance. Being in Pennsylvania, this may not be relevant since Myrtle Beach/Hilton Head are the closest options, at a 10 hour drive away. Should I hold out and try to buy here (realizing these are difficult to get into) or target a unit elsewhere with good trade value? I know this may not be ideal, I have a family member who is also interested in eventually buying and they've committed to using weeks I'm unable to trade wherever I buy as I learn the ropes of renting, trading etc.

In terms of seasons, my wife is a teacher so more often than not we would be vacationing in any week in July or August. Do I need to buy during these weeks only to be able to trade into them from elsewhere?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

There are people here far more expert than I am - but here goes. I think that the NJ property (Galloway/Atlantic City - 10 miles away) is closer to you than HH or Myrtle Beach. BUT - if you buy directly from Marriott - they do not sell *weeks at properties* anymore - they sell POINTS, which you use wherever you wish, within their rules. For far less money, you can buy property/weeks from someone who is SELLING theirs - look on the listing on this site, or on places like eBay. Now, there is a procedure that lets you enroll SOME of those for these *points* - but as of right now, they would have had to have been purchase BEFORE 6/20/10; who knows if this will change? If you do not CARE about those points, then just buy what you want, from its current owner (on eBay, etc.), and save a BUNDLE. If you ever want to trade t another place, you can trade HERE - we have our own swap forums.

To say that this whole timeshare world has *flexibility* is another way of saying that this is complicated! But those of us here have enjoyed a lot of really nice vacations, that is for sure. Read the *stickies* at the top of this forum, and reconcile that with what you read from the Marriott website - and just keep asking questions! We are both retired teachers, and now can vacation whenever we wish - AVOIDING all the school kids, etc.! Hope you find just what you love!

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I think we need to know your budget, how much are you wanting to spend? The HHI and Myrtle Beach properties are probably best due to their drivable distance, but you will really want to own there in order to consistently go there year after year in the season you need. That said, you will pay a high price for these, even on the resale market. Not as high as the buying the same number of points from MVCI, but still quite high compared to many of the real bargain resorts/seasons out there.

gblotter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside x 2
Maui Ocean Club x 2
Ko Olina Beach Club x 1
Consider Manor Club in Williamsburg.

See post by KathyPet here: http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169238

I agree with KathyPet ... Manor Club is wonderful, and it is within driving distance.

Resale weeks at Manor Club can be purchased for almost nothing and maintenance fees are on the low side (for Marriott). You can always submit a reserve-first exchange request with Interval International and try for Hilton Head. If the trade fails, the worst-case scenario is that you spend a week at lovely Manor Club instead.

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
Don't even consider buying Marriott's DC points plan. They are worthless and ridiculously expensive. Even buying weeks is a poor consideration IMO. Here's a Manor Club platinum sale not too far from you. This is a wonderful TS that comes with golf, but many years of MF increases up to 16% a year have propelled annual fees to be more than you'd pay to buy this eBay listing!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marriott-Ma...=Timeshares&hash=item56496dd177#ht_3298wt_948

My suggestion is that you put off a TS purchase for 5 years and rent each year on eBay exactly what and where you want to go...you can get these rentals for less than the owners pay annually...and you are not locked into paying annual MF and 'special' assessments. This gives you a chance to see where the market goes...several TS on eBay don't even sell for 1 cent these days.

If you must buy, make sure it's a resort you'd be happy going to every year...and if you must travel in summer try to find a fixed week (which virtually eliminates Marriott). Timesharing is not an investment...don't let Marriott tell you otherwise...it's simply a costly vacation lifestyle.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
My suggestion is that you put off a TS purchase for 5 years and rent each year on eBay exactly what and where you want to go...you can get these rentals for less than the owners pay annually...and you are not locked into paying annual MF and 'special' assessments.

Not sure how true this would be for prime season when the OP wants to travel. it may be true for some non Marriott properties. The properties in HHI are going to bring premium rental pricing during June/July/August when the Op wants to travel.

Renting is probably still a good option for a year or two, but in the long run if the OP wants to commit to traveling in prime season to the US east coast, they are going to likely want to buy, of course prices may have gone up by then, though they could have gone down too.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are not sold on DC Points, I'd buy a fixed week at Monarch on HHI. It trades with both II and RCI and Marriott has no right to match your purchase price. In addition it is right on the beach within the Sea Pines Plantation.

George

gblotter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside x 2
Maui Ocean Club x 2
Ko Olina Beach Club x 1
If you are not sold on DC Points, I'd buy a fixed week at Monarch on HHI. It trades with both II and RCI and Marriott has no right to match your purchase price. In addition it is right on the beach within the Sea Pines Plantation.
+1

Excellent recommendation if a resale week in the right season can be found at a reasonable price.

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Whether you buy or rent here is another plan for you to consider when traveling to a timeshare, the Amtrack Autotrain: http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=AM_Route_C&pagename=am/Layout&cid=1241245666320

We drive from Michigan to Bedford, PA, spend the night so our trip into DC is short the following day. This past year we went to DC for a day and night on the town before boarding our train the next day. It drops you off just north of Orlando. We then met with friends and had an easy drive on the FL Turnpike to Ocean Pointe.

For you, this makes driving to FL easier than driving to Hilton Head.

Consider renting an oceanfront week at Ocean Pointe. In the summer I've heard there is a nice breeze coming off the ocean.

jdunn1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll just add that if you have any expectations of getting into Hilton Head or Myrtle Beach in the summer, you need to buy there. It is expensive, probably 10-15k on the resale market, but you just will NOT be able to trade into those locations in July with any other Marriott week. You may get late August weeks more times than not, but you will need to deposit a two bedroom marriott week to even get those. There are exceptions and maybe a few people will chime in to explain how they go to Myrtle or Hilton every summer with one of the cheaper inland Marriotts, but I would be very surprised and skeptic. I tried for a couple years trading into the Carolinas with my platinum Willowridge week and just couldn't do it. I broke down and bought at OceanWatch.

A much easier trade is one of the Florida beach front Marriotts in the summer. You can trade into those weeks with just about anything. Marco Island is not really a possibility, but the other resorts are.

I'd recommend Mannor Club if buying into one of the Carolina properties is not an option, but Mannor club will not get you into the Carolina properties in the summer unless you luck out on a trade. If you want to know what are the most powerful weeks to own, I suggest you look at redweek and see what the various marriott weeks are renting for. Outside of ski weeks, the inland Marriotts barely rent for dues, which should give you an idea of their trade power verses the beach front locations.

celosch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for all of the responses. A few notes to clarify:

We are definitely going to buy in the resale market, have no interest in buying direclty from Marriott.

We are not sold on going only to HHI, thats just the closest within driving distance other than NJ. We would be open to traveling on either coast, not just driving to the Carolinas.

Since HHI is so difficult to get into, would it make sense to buy something going for very cheap on the relase market (a summer season at Desert Springs Villas for example) and use that to try to trade into HHI (I know this would be a longshot), Florida, etc? Since we would be flying to most locations I'm thinking buying in California is no different than just about anywhere else. Is this a faulty assumption?

Last edited:

tlwmkw

Reaction score
There are many ways to do this (as you can see from the responses!). I can tell you about our experiences with Grande Vista and Surfwatch. We have plat Grande Vista which trades well but won't get you into HHI in the summer and that's why we also own Plat Surfwatch. The Surfwatch will pretty much pull anything out there in trade. If you can afford it I would recommend that as a home resort and as a trader (though a relatively expensive one) especially since you are within a days drive. I can't really give advice about the west coast resorts- my concern about those is the cost of flights (same with the carribbean resorts).

We bought direct (didn't know about resales then) and while it was much more expensive we received large amounts of MR points with our purchases (as well as some other perks) that did offset the initial cost because we used the points at some very expensive european hotels where there aren't any timeshares. Now you don't get those large MR point incentives and the prices have become so high that I would never consider buying direct knowing what I know now.

You sound like you have already done much of the research and have a good idea how the system works.

Good luck!

tlwmkw

pipet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai, Marriott Shadow Ridge

George

I'll 3rd this if you are looking to keep costs down. Harbour Point is also low cost (and someone else might need to correct me on this), but I think they have some fixed weeks so you can always *guarantee* your summer reservation. The more expensive locations right on the beach are also great if you can afford the higher initial buy-in costs. Any of the HH properties in summer will be good traders in Interval.

Don't buy SoCal to go to HH in the summer. Just buy HH for HH. If you decide to skip HH unless you get a lucky trade, you have a lot more options (as many of the others on here posted). Plat DSV, Manor Club, etc would all be fine for trading into most locations.

brigechols

TUG Member
Reaction score
It makes sense to buy something that you will use in July and August. It's a bonus if that resort offers high trade power and a low buy-in.

We have a platinum 3 bedroom Grande Vista unit. We use the unit for spring break or Christmas vacations (Orlando is too darn hot for me in the summer) but it is also a good trader. Through Interval International, we exchanged into Marriott's Frenchman's Cove in St Thomas during June, Marriott's Timber Lodge in South Lake Tahoe during June, and Marriott's Newport Coast Villas in southern California during August. Through SFX, we exchanged into Wyndham Kona Hawaiian Resort for spring break vacation. I do not know whether the 3 bedroom unit has enough trade power to secure a summer HHI week.

Last edited:

vail

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for all of the responses. A few notes to clarify:

We are definitely going to buy in the resale market, have no interest in buying direclty from Marriott.

We are not sold on going only to HHI, thats just the closest within driving distance other than NJ. We would be open to traveling on either coast, not just driving to the Carolinas.

Since HHI is so difficult to get into, would it make sense to buy something going for very cheap on the relase market (a summer season at Desert Springs Villas for example) and use that to try to trade into HHI (I know this would be a longshot), Florida, etc? Since we would be flying to most locations I'm thinking buying in California is no different than just about anywhere else. Is this a faulty assumption?

Here is my two cents.
I own a summer week at HHI and it trades wherever I want to go--even into The Four Seasons.
But when I do not trade, HHI is a great place to go whether for golf or for the beach or whatever.
You cannot compare New Jersey or Branson---there is no comparison.

Purchase prices are NOT high in this market and I have seen some great offers on ebay.
The units at Monarch are small but it is on the beach.
But I have seen units go for a fraction of the original purchase price.

There are a lot of Marriott properties on HHI and they all come up eventually.
Good Luck.

travelmom11

Reaction score
newbie here

I am new at this too. After a year of reading up on Marriott TS we ended up buying (in process) a TS at Koolina (Hawaii) as we love it there and go to Hawaii all the time. The first rule- buy where you want to go :)

My only other suggestion is to realize that the prices that owners have for sale on redweek are negotiable. I found a very nice owner willing to negotiate. Other thing is I knew what we could spend on buying resale and what the cost of renting Koolina was, and we opted for an every other year one which we hope to lock off and deposit the studio and use to trade for the following year that we dont have our TS. So hopefully a vacation every year with that. Buying EOY was an easier pill to swallow for MF fees for me(at least until I feel more comfortable and figure this thing out).

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am new at this too. After a year of reading up on Marriott TS we ended up buying (in process) a TS at Koolina (Hawaii) as we love it there and go to Hawaii all the time. The first rule- buy where you want to go :)

My only other suggestion is to realize that the prices that owners have for sale on redweek are negotiable. I found a very nice owner willing to negotiate. Other thing is I knew what we could spend on buying resale and what the cost of renting Koolina was, and we opted for an every other year one which we hope to lock off and deposit the studio and use to trade for the following year that we dont have our TS. So hopefully a vacation every year with that. Buying EOY was an easier pill to swallow for MF fees for me(at least until I feel more comfortable and figure this thing out).

The only problem I have with EOY purchases is that your closing costs run just as high for an EOY purchase as for an annual use purchase. That said, I would have to think twice about going with an EOY purchase.

answeeney

TUG Member
Reaction score
It boils down to your personality and your wealth.

If you are an every day kind of guy and know that you are happy to spend vacations every year (or at least two years out of three) in a particular location then buy at that location - there are bargains to be had currently.

If you are a risk taker and like to trade, buy something with low member fees, cross your fingers and get ready to play the game.

If you are a regular guy who counts the pennies and doesn't want to plan too far ahead, don't buy timeshare.

If you have loads of dosh so that you don't need to think too hard then who cares?

4Reliefnow

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rent or Buy Platinum

"Since HHI is so difficult to get into, would it make sense to buy something going for very cheap on the resale market (a summer season at Desert Springs Villas for example) and use that to try to trade into HHI (I know this would be a long-shot), Florida, etc? Since we would be flying to most locations I'm thinking buying in California is no different than just about anywhere else. Is this a faulty assumption?"

Does not sound like you are listening. The advice has been pretty consistent: If you want to go to HHI in July or August buy a platinum or fixed week. I don't think you will trade a Silver season Desert Springs for a Platinum HHI. But, I think a Gold season HHI is a very easy trade, very easy rental, and maybe a good buy. I traded into Surf Watch April 14-21 next year and got a 3 BR for a very low demand week. if you think you are going to want to travel Platinum, then buy Platinum and use what you own. If you are going to travel in April and May (Gold) you can buy Gold (Grand Ocean Gold goes into June) or get an easy trade, or lots of rentals.

A platinum week is a lifetime of vacations and trades at a cost, A silver week is a LIFETIME OF COST and lots of weeks that don't fit your schedule.

4Reliefnow

TUG Member
Reaction score
Buying from the Developer is a 5 year Felony on TUG

Unanimous consent here that your rent or buy resale and don't ever think about buying DC points new from the developer.

Fair Warning to all those present: Buying from the Developer(after reading advice not to on TUG) is a 5 year felony on TUG.

I am proposing to TUG Brian and Moderator Denise M. that any TUG poster found guilt of buying direct from the developer shall be sentenced to five years without spreading [word deleted as not civil] ideas on the TUG bulletin Boards. Said offender may be deemed to have paid their debt to society when they complete a 40 hour TUG boot camp while residing in a platinum week (SKI or Beach0 acquired from the rental boards on TUG Marketplace.

Denise: Please don't delete me. I used all my restraint to be civil and I never once used the word Ixxxt, or Dxxb.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Denise: Please don't delete me. I used all my restraint to be civil and I never once used the word Ixxxt, or Dxxb.

Try using the word "kool aid" and Denise will be the least of your concerns...:eek:

4Reliefnow

TUG Member
Reaction score
Try using the word "kool aid" and Denise will be the least of your concerns...:eek:

Thanks for the second. Your Profile says you own in "Overbuilt areas only" With resales at $10 for Silver and $3,000 for Platinum. With Rents lower than Maintenance fees. what areas are not overbuilt....I want to buy one of those on Ebay LOL :doh:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch

HAHAHA!!! "You have learned well, Grasshopper."

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Consider Manor Club in Williamsburg.

See post by KathyPet here: http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169238

I agree with KathyPet ... Manor Club is wonderful, and it is within driving distance.

Resale weeks at Manor Club can be purchased for almost nothing and maintenance fees are on the low side (for Marriott). You can always submit a reserve-first exchange request with Interval International and try for Hilton Head. If the trade fails, the worst-case scenario is that you spend a week at lovely Manor Club instead.

I respectfully disagree. I couldn't get decent trades with Manor Club. It is a nice property though