• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Finally planning to switch from Weeks to Points. Any tips?

JustAllie

Reaction score
You can probably dump your properties on e-bay for little cost - just charge transfer fee and closing and then pick up properties on e-bay the same way - though I think I would try to get them to evaluate your property to 300K in points for VIP Silver.
I'm still hoping for a few more tips on who to approach and how to nudge my points up to 300,000 for VIP status. Do I call someone at Wyndham corporate? Someone at the Kingsgate or Patriots' Place resorts? Someone at a different property?

I am assuming that the general approach is to say "If I can't get VIP status out of this conversion to points for a $2395+995 conversion fee, I'd rather sell these weeks on eBay and get something cheaper on eBay [that also would not have VIP, but presumably would have lower maintenance fees?]."

Does that sound like something that would work? Do they have any leeway in the points conversion?

puppymommo

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are going to try for VIP status, you should move on it fairly soon. There is a coming increase (I think October but am not absolutely sure) in the number of points needed for the various levels. Regular VIP (I think they call it silver) will increase from 300,000 to 500,000. Existing VIP owners will be grandfathered in.

You can find more extensive threads on this here on TUG.

Also, I think you would go to corporate rather than the invididual resorts. Unless there are active sales at the resort, you might start with them.

Good luck!

rrlongwell

Reaction score
I'm still hoping for a few more tips on who to approach and how to nudge my points up to 300,000 for VIP status. Do I call someone at Wyndham corporate? Someone at the Kingsgate or Patriots' Place resorts? Someone at a different property?

I am assuming that the general approach is to say "If I can't get VIP status out of this conversion to points for a $2395+995 conversion fee, I'd rather sell these weeks on eBay and get something cheaper on eBay [that also would not have VIP, but presumably would have lower maintenance fees?]."

Does that sound like something that would work? Do they have any leeway in the points conversion?

If you buy a new points contract, they should let you convert to points for $89 dollars per contract. If you own a non-Wyndham contract or two, you can PIC them in with the purchase and possably go to Platinum. As another poster pointed out earlier in the thread, this is not impossable. Also, talk to a resort and to Coorporate for a re-sale through Wyndham, that would save a couple more thousand. For the new contract, I would get it as a different use year than you current ones. That does nice things if managed properly. Where you get it does make a difference. Call your last salesperson back and ask him for his best offer. Then call corporate sales and see what their best offer is. Best of luck.

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does Wyndham ever do a trade in/equity trade thing? I.E. I give them my two resale weeks worth 280,000 points and they take the equity of those off the cost of a single week worth 330,000 that counts towards VIP Silver?

ToadHall53

TUG Member
Reaction score

Sounds like a $15,000 nudge not worth it for me buy resale deeded property you like to make a ARP reservation

ToadHall53

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does Wyndham ever do a trade in/equity trade thing? I.E. I give them my two resale weeks worth 280,000 points and they take the equity of those off the cost of a single week worth 330,000 that counts towards VIP Silver?

Tried that no

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are going to try for VIP status, you should move on it fairly soon. There is a coming increase (I think October but am not absolutely sure) in the number of points needed for the various levels. Regular VIP (I think they call it silver) will increase from 300,000 to 500,000. Existing VIP owners will be grandfathered in.

Also, I think you would go to corporate rather than the invididual resorts. Unless there are active sales at the resort, you might start with them.

Good luck!

It is October, but silver is 400, gold 700 and Platinum still 1000000

rrlongwell

Reaction score

I have sat by nearby tables in sales presentation where this was offered and other times where it was not. I do not know what the difference is. I suspect it has to do with whether Wyndham wants your re-sale weeks. If memory serves, in the past, a few posters have indicated Wyndham did that for them. Make the offer to them if they do not offer it to you at some sales presentations. Different resorts do different things in sales presentations. Make sure you do it the way you indicated, they take your two resale contracts for a equity trade and give you a new consoladed deed somewhere.

Last edited:

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score

I dont think Wyndham will let resale fixed weeks convert to VIP eligible points no matter what you say. Although some say that weeks in Hawaii may be an exception with certain Hawaii salesmen

I have tried to bargain with my fixed weeks and they wont budge..I they were bought on the secondary market, they will not count toward VIP

I do think you can do what Wyndham calls an equity trade with your points,,,trade in one or several contracts with the purchase of some new points and get a new deed at a new resort for the total number of points...as has been said probably a $15000 deal

The cheapest way to add VIP eligible points is I think to own a 3 bedroom red week at an RCI affiliated resort (not points) and PIC it in with a 50000 point new purchase...This would add just over 300000 VIP eligible points. You can PIC in a maximum of 2 contracts ... for 600000 points...If you already own VIP eligible points you could go to Gold or Platinum with a fairly small number of dollars...but remember the new VIP bar that sets in October

The question that remains is...just because you can; should you?

Im having trouble justifying a move up the VIP ladder, unless you plan to add a ton of resale points and become a mega renter, and this only makes sense if you are willing to play the cancel and rebook for a discount game...(which some speculate is coming to an end)

JustAllie

Reaction score
Sounds like a $15,000 nudge not worth it for me buy resale deeded property you like to make a ARP reservation
That's my problem with buying another property -- I've been offered a number of "deals" over the years by timeshare sales people, and none of them have been low enough $$$ to be worth it to me. I can't recall how low they've gone, but they always go to great pains to make tens of thousands of dollars sound like a "good deal." Usually they do this by convincing me that the way I travel, I have already committed myself to spending $50,000 on vacations over the next 10 years, so obviously I will save money by buying another timeshare instead. They always conveniently neglect to take maintenance fees and the increase in those fees into account. :rolleyes:

JustAllie

Reaction score
I dont think Wyndham will let resale fixed weeks convert to VIP eligible points no matter what you say. Although some say that weeks in Hawaii may be an exception with certain Hawaii salesmen

I have tried to bargain with my fixed weeks and they wont budge..I they were bought on the secondary market, they will not count toward VIP
I'm not trying to do that -- my fixed weeks are not resale. It's just that it will cost me $3390 to convert them to points and then I would not have VIP status because I won't have enough points. For $3390 I could sell my current timeshare weeks and buy some bargain basement resale units with (again) no VIP status but lower annual maintenance fees.

I only need another 20,000 points to reach VIP Silver. I just wish there were a way to bump up that extra 20,000 in points for a very low price somehow. But I am thinking it's time to move to points one way or the other, even if I don't end up with VIP status.

rrlongwell

Reaction score
... For $3390 I could sell my current timeshare weeks and buy some bargain basement resale units with (again) no VIP status but lower annual maintenance fees.

I think selling your existing and buying re-sale is a very bad idea. Your maintance fees are not that high in the way of the world. Best of luck no matter what you do.

When evaluating advice in the Wyndham Tug Forum, always remember the perspective of the person giving the advice is from a Rentor for profit or re-seller for profit person, in a lot of cases. As some of the threads have indicated, at least some of them are also VIP members at various levels. If you intend to travel a lot, $12,000 to $15,000 thousand is not bad and the delivered newpaper (when they deliver it) is great.

Last edited:

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not trying to do that -- my fixed weeks are not resale. It's just that it will cost me $3390 to convert them to points and then I would not have VIP status because I won't have enough points. For $3390 I could sell my current timeshare weeks and buy some bargain basement resale units with (again) no VIP status but lower annual maintenance fees.

I only need another 20,000 points to reach VIP Silver. I just wish there were a way to bump up that extra 20,000 in points for a very low price somehow. But I am thinking it's time to move to points one way or the other, even if I don't end up with VIP status.

Bad assumptions again They make an assof uandme

This time just me

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
If the OP acquired these weeks from an immediate family member (and her parents would quality) they should not be treated as resales. Instead they carry the same rights as if she had bought directly from Wyndham herself. (That was the case with my Wyndham that was given to me by my sister.)

As for the fixed weeks and converting them, I personally do not believe it is worth the hassle. I too had two fixed weeks (Kingsgate 3BR wk 18 and Flagstaff 2BR wk 12). Together they would have been worth 280k points as well (203k for Kingsgate and 77k for Flagstaff). The TPU w/RCI on the Kingsgate was pitiful.

I was able to take up the Flagstaff POA's offer to accept deedbacks in early 2011 and subsequently gave away my Kingsgate, with the new owner paying all fees. To the best of my knowledge, none of the Williamsburg properties are accepting deedbacks, however.

VIP is not worth anything in my opinion so to incur any expense to convert and/or acquire the added 20k in points is just throwing money away.

brigian

TUG Member
Reaction score

Good luck!

I currently own 266000 points, is there any real benefit for me to buy more in order to get to 300000 vip ?

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
I currently own 266000 points, is there any real benefit for me to buy more in order to get to 300000 vip ?

25% off points on bookings in less then 60 days
Room size upgrades if available within 30 days
Five free Guest Certificates
UNLIMITED housekeeping credits
Early check In

You tell me

brigian

TUG Member
Reaction score
25% off points on bookings in less then 60 days
Room size upgrades if available within 30 days
Five free Guest Certificates
UNLIMITED housekeeping credits
Early check In

You tell me

Good point !!! Does everyone qualify for VIP ? I currently own 182000 fixed and 84000 UDI.

Sorry for my ignorance I've never considered or researched VIP status.

JustAllie

Reaction score
By the way, once I switch these fixed weeks to points, will I be able to trade them into the Wyndham Old Town Alexandria resort? Occasionally I've thought that it would be nice to book a unit there for visiting friends or family, but it's not in the RCI Weeks system, not even as an "Extra Vacation" that I could pay for. I think it's in their Points system, isn't it?

rrlongwell

Reaction score
By the way, once I switch these fixed weeks to points, will I be able to trade them into the Wyndham Old Town Alexandria ...

It is sometimes tricky to get availability, but that is improving over time. I have been there many times. It is a great resort and available through the points system. It is my understanding it is almost all or all points based and not fixed weeks.