• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

FF Tickets on Hold w/AA

Marcia3641

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I posted this on flyertalk but wanted to see if I get any additional feedback from any Tuggers.

My friend has two FF tickets on hold for LAX to Rome at 60K each in Coach. In order for her and her husband to upgrade to Business Class it would cost an additional 2K each:eek: . Her husband is tall and is not very happy with the coach FF ticket, she doesn't have enough points to book Business Class FF tickets and there aren't any of those tickets available anyway on that particular flight. She did though find an alternative flight for her husband but at 90K (he has 92K and she has 65K) and on a different flight and with a LOT of layovers. And it doesn't make any sense for them to fly seperate on such a long trip IMO.

I told her that husband will have to suck it up and fly coach but I thought I would see what suggestions I can get from the experts as too what she can do if anything once she books the tickets. Thanks in advance.

Marcia3641

JEFF H

Reaction score
unless they want to take seperate flights I would hold the coach tickets now. Call AA and have them put the husband on a waiting list for a business class seat on those flights.
A seat may open up and then they will upgrade him and deduct the required miles. If a seat does not open up they should goto plan C and request emergency exit row seats for the better leg room they will offer.

S

Steamboat Bill

Try to get the bulkhead. I also like asiles better than windows for more legroom.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Tell your friend to get to the airport very very early and request emergency exit row seats in coach. Much more room there :)

Pit

TUG Member
Reaction score
If either of them have status on AA, reserve the exit row seats *now*. They will be long gone by the date of travel. Check seatguru.com to make sure you're getting exit row seats that recline.

Last edited:

travelguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
AA “Status” members can book exit rows when the reservation is made. Otherwise, exit rows become available the day of flight – at the airport ONLY.

Carolyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St John
WJL St Lucia
St James Club Antigua
Charter Club Marco
Sheraton Desert Oasis
AA “Status” members can book exit rows when the reservation is made. Otherwise, exit rows become available the day of flight – at the airport ONLY.

What's a "STATUS" member?

Carolyn

Pit

TUG Member
Reaction score
What's a "STATUS" member?

Carolyn

Anyone who is Gold, Platinum, or Executive Platinum in the AAdvantage FF program can reserve "premium" seating, which includes the exit rows. They are usually reserved well in advance of the departure date. These seats do often open up near to the departure date as first/business upgrades clear. However, they are often snapped up just as quickly by other status passengers, who don't have to wait until they get to the airport. :)

travelguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anyone who is Gold, Platinum, or Executive Platinum in the AAdvantage FF program can reserve "premium" seating, which includes the exit rows. They are usually reserved well in advance of the departure date. These seats do often open up near to the departure date as first/business upgrades clear. However, they are often snapped up just as quickly by other status passengers, who don't have to wait until they get to the airport. :)

This is correct. To add to it, qualifying for these "Status" levels almost always requires miles from actual paid flights. Miles accrued by all those creative methods (credit cards, contests, etc.) usually do not count toward "Status".