• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Few HGVC questions

damianinpa

Reaction score
All,
Got the call to go to the Elara in Vegas for practically nothing. Nothing than 2 hr timeshare presentation. LOL I did this last year and with the knowledge I have, I certainly turned down the offer to buy. But, I did like the program offered compared to Starwood where I own now. So, another trip to Vegas for me (First time at Elara, last time I was at different property..very excited) and unless they match resale prices, there will be no purchase. Still a great getaway for my wife and I. My questions:
I see Hilton has Gold and platinum weeks with points assigned. If I buy resale and get a gold week with say 5000 points..does that mean I can use this at any Hilton in the network, even during Platinum weeks? I assume I won't have enough points for a full week that is a platinum week, but, is this allowed if I take a shorter stay?
Basically, I'm asking if the Hilton program is all just based on points and how many you own will translate into staying at any of their resorts for any unit you want (Studio/1BR/2BR) but possibly for less than 7 days? Is that correct? Does gold vs platinum really matter when purchasing?
Also, if I didn't plan on necessarily using at the 'home resort', would it make sense to try and find a resale with the lowest maintenance fees and then just trade within Hilton to go anywhere? I know they deal with RCI, but, that is a different path I think and I'm referring more to the Hilton Vacation network of properties. Anyone know which properly has the lowest fees for say a full 1 bedroom (Not studio)?

My goal is to consider an EOY purchase from Resale. (I can use my Every Year Starwood and own this as extra) Is there a points amount I should be zoning in on to get a 1 week / 1 bedroom stay at most HGVC resorts?

Damian

Jason245

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
You can use gold points in the platinum season. At the 9 month mark, you can book any property in any season with HGVC.

Make sure you do lots of research before you buy. For some people, buying 5K gold points makes the most sense. Others prefer buying 4800 platinum points. You have to crunch the numbers of the buy in + 10 or 20 years of MFs, or however long you plan to use them.

For a single purchase or a first time purchase, I do not recommend buying an EOY. The reason is that it takes away benefit of the bank/borrow. For example, if you want to go to Hawaii for a long stay, you can use your 2015, 2016 and 2017 points combined for a 2016 reservation. If you owned EOY, you'd have less years to combine to maximize your vacation. You would however be able to bank 2015 and borrow from 2017 to vacation in 2016. It just limits your options and make leftover points at the end of the year more annoying.

weems637

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton HGVC Tuscany
Hurricane House in Sanibel Island (managed by Hilton
Wyndham Cypress Palms
Wyndham Glades
Club Wyndham Access
We bought retail, then added additional points from resale. Points owned are "gold" season. With our allocation of points we are able to any number of combination of stays, even easier with the borrowing options. Points are points, regardless of the "home resort". Home resort give your a 12 month booking option, other than that, the lower the maintenance fee the better!

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
If I get a gold week with say 5000 points, does that mean I can use this at any Hilton in the network, even during Platinum weeks? I assume I won't have enough points for a full week that is a platinum week, but is this allowed if I take a shorter stay?

Eggsactly so. You can use your points to book a stay for anyplace and anytime. Your "club" reservation window runs from 276 days before check-out to 1 day before check-in, regardless of season or size, with a minimum stay of 3N (2N for last-minute cash booking starting 30 days out). You just need to have enuff points and find an available spot -- it pays to be flexible.

Does gold vs platinum really matter when purchasing?
Maintence Fees are based on size of unit, not season, so higher seasons will get you more points for the same MF-$ in the same unit.

If I didn't plan on necessarily using at the 'home resort', would it make sense to try and find a resale with the lowest maintenance fees and then just trade within Hilton to go anywhere?

That's what I'm sayin'.

Anyone know which properly has the lowest fees for say a full 1 bedroom (Not studio)?

LV-Strip or other Vegas and Orlando properties.

Is there a points amount I should be zoning in on to get a 1 week / 1 bedroom stay at most HGVC resorts?

Many folks say you won't be happy with less than 4800 pts.
But some, who don't use HGVC exclusively (the horror), are.