• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Favorite smaller resorts?

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Kuleana Club, N. of Kaanapali, Maui. So close to the ocean that if you lob a seashell off the patio underhanded into the surf, you might hit one of the many turtles.
Yes - I loved this place too - and after a disappointing week at the more lauded Paniolo Greens, Big Island. We requested oceanfront day of check-in and they found us one.

itchyfeet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pine Acres Lodge--Pacific Grove, CA (Monterey) Nothing fancy--just homey!
Within walking distance of the ocean.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Are there any favorite small resorts in Virginia, North Carolina or South Carolina ?

tashamen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc points (former Club Intrawest), Trapp Family Lodge
Are there any favorite small resorts in Virginia, North Carolina or South Carolina ?

We loved Chetola Resort in Blowing Rock, NC. I'm not sure it qualifies as a "small" resort since the ts units were part of a bigger condo complex, but it was very scenic with a nice lodge and restaurant, and handy to exploring. We exchanged in through II for a specific week in August so we could drive up the Blue Ridge Parkway and attend the annual Galax, VA fiddlers convention.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
We loved Chetola Resort in Blowing Rock, NC. I'm not sure it qualifies as a "small" resort since the ts units were part of a bigger condo complex, but it was very scenic with a nice lodge and restaurant, and handy to exploring. We exchanged in through II for a specific week in August so we could drive up the Blue Ridge Parkway and attend the annual Galax, VA fiddlers convention.

Thanks, I am going to try to book/exchange into this resort for September 2017 after school are open in the Tar Heel state.

Here There

TUG Member
Reaction score
3 more unique locations...

...with interesting local color and/or topography:

- GEVC at Lighthouse Pointe at Pt Arena, CA. (RCI only, with perennial off season $ sales) -- En route to Mendocino, this is the only TS resort in the NorCal coast. Check out the Ecological Staircase at Jug Handle State Natural Reserve. a nature trail featuring 5 wave-cut terraces formed by glacier, sea and tectonic activity that built the coast range.

- any resort in Santa Fe, NM, as long as it's within walking distance to the Plaza -- for the local arts & food scene. Do drive to Taos and spend time at the Santa Fe Opera, which imho is perfectly placed in the feng-shui sense.

- le Manoir des Deux Amants, Connelles, France. Centrally located in Normandy for daytripping to Rouen, Mont St Michel, beaches, Giverny, and small villages (Lyons-la-foret & Les Andelys are personal faves). Couple this stay with a week at Royal Regency in Vincennes (both available via II + RCI) for a nostalgic sense of pre-EU France.

jackio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
We own at Sand Pebbles in Solana Beach CA. It is small and simple but close to the ocean and the people are really nice there. The only downside is that they do not have air conditioning. I was told they don't really need it, but we were there during an unusually hot and muggy July, and I disagreed.

PassionForTravel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Yeah even by the coast it can sometimes get muggy. The highest chance for needing AC is September, followed by August, followed by July. But out of 12 weeks covered by those months it's probably needed 2 on average. I live inland about 10 miles so much warmer and I only use my AC about 2-3 weeks a year. But those 2-3 weeks I'm glad I have it.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
We own at Sand Pebbles in Solana Beach CA. It is small and simple but close to the ocean and the people are really nice there. The only downside is that they do not have air conditioning. I was told they don't really need it, but we were there during an unusually hot and muggy July, and I disagreed.

They also would say that at our resorts at Smugglers Notch and Pollard Brook. but it is so hot in the units during the summer. They do have ac in the bedrooms but we end up keeping the bedroom doors open to cool off the kitchen and living room areas. Not very efficient nor energy saving and not a good decision not to put ac in those rooms in the first place.

TSMG

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are looking for some really nice resort but "Quaint"..I would look into the Sanibel /Captiva Ares of Florida. Hilton has some nice smaller properties at each location.

51ssvinton

Reaction score
Www.Egretspointe.com, Edisto island sc...just south of Charleston sc (30 mins)
A great little group of 24 condos with Wyndham ocean ridge resort.
They have 14 of 24 remodeled and working to finish all. They did get hit by Matthew so almost back in order....January for ocean ridge to access amenities.
No hotels, relaxed nature filled island....my favorite on east coast.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Urban resorts generally have a small campus and few extras features (like tennis or multiple pools).

I really like Wyndham Midtown 45 in New York City (6 units per floor/about 30 guest floors ... ~180 units).

But the Ft Lauderdale Beach Resort has 10 units per floor & 15 floors ... same small feel with an active city outside their door. Wyndham Royal Vista (Pompano Beach, Fl) has 96 units but the nearby Wyndham Santa Barbara has only 90 units (36 studios, 36 1bdr & 18 2bdr units)... again 10 units per floor; Santa Barbara feels much smaller and more intimate than Royal Vista.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
We own a very small studio in Yarmouth, MA at The Holly Tree. It is by far the most friendly resort we have been. There is an indoor and outdoor pool. A very large common area, with big screen tv and lounge area with complimentary coffee. Close to everything, on the Main Street and still very quiet in our timeshare. We have been acquiring weeks at places we enjoy staying, we have our newest timeshare in Punta Gorda, Florida at Fisherman's Village. We are going to stay first time in January. Our rule has been to own where we would go if we didn't have an exchange option. However, we do have the option and have exchanged to many great places. Thanks for starting this thread Kit!
Silentg

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
We own a very small studio in Yarmouth, MA at The Holly Tree. It is by far the most friendly resort we have been. There is an indoor and outdoor pool. A very large common area, with big screen tv and lounge area with complimentary coffee. Close to everything, on the Main Street and still very quiet in our timeshare. We have been acquiring weeks at places we enjoy staying, we have our newest timeshare in Punta Gorda, Florida at Fisherman's Village. We are going to stay first time in January. Our rule has been to own where we would go if we didn't have an exchange option. However, we do have the option and have exchanged to many great places. Thanks for starting this thread Kit!
Silentg

My cousin was telling me how much she loves Fisherman's Village, can those be acquired for a reasonable price? Are these units nicely kept up? Thanks for sharing that info

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enchanted Isle.
Sugarcubesea, We will be staying first time end of the month of January 2017. We stayed last July at Port Charlotte, which is across the harbor from Fisherman's Village. Thee unique feature of Fisherman's Village is the timeshares are above a shopping plaza and beside the pier where the boats are docked. After we stay we will post a review.
Silentg

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enchanted Isle.
My cousin was telling me how much she loves Fisherman's Village, can those be acquired for a reasonable price? Are these units nicely kept up? Thanks for sharing that info
I sent you a PM too

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
Sugarcubesea, We will be staying first time end of the month of January 2017. We stayed last July at Port Charlotte, which is across the harbor from Fisherman's Village. Thee unique feature of Fisherman's Village is the timeshares are above a shopping plaza and beside the pier where the boats are docked. After we stay we will post a review.
Silentg

Thank you for the PM, and wow that is so cool that the TS is above a shopping center....

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I had been to Fisherman's Village in Punta Gorda half a dozen times, pre Hurricane Charley. It was badly damaged and was closed for about a year thereafter. When I stayed there, it was a very comfortable timeshare, while it is listed as a 2BR, it also has an open loft within the unit which is kind of cool. I do recommend it as there is really not alot of other good hotels in the area. My ex MIL moved away from the area after her sister died shortly after the hurricane came through and I stopped going there.

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
Pacific Grove Plaze, Pacific Grove, CA

Only 16 large units (8 2-bedrooms/8 1-bedrooms) most with ocean views right in town with underground parking.

51ssvinton

Reaction score
Egrets Pointe at Edisto Beach S C is my favorite spring, fall and winter.....too hot in summer but fantastic other seasons....rt between Charleston SC and Beaufort sc.....close to Hilton head/ savannah area also.

51ssvinton

Reaction score
egretspointe.com
Tell them sandra vinton referred you and u will get great service...Candace or jennifer

RichardinLakeland

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Kit, We went to a resort last New Year called Lehigh Acres in Florida. Off the beaten path, but not too far from Fort Myers. A lot of families there and very relaxed atmosphere. We don't own there just traded. I posted a review.
Silentg

Pool at Lehigh is closed and being replaced. I'd stay away until finished sometimes later this year. Completion date may be delayed.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enchanted Isle.
Yes, I heard that the pool was closing, the golf course is still open?

CNistler

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Island Towers
The Lehigh Pool is open again and was very good even before it was updated.

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
Red Wolf Lodge in Tahoe Vista, CA (North Lake Tahoe). The units are small but very nicely done. Probably around 30 units. The resort is right on Lake Tahoe (although most units don't have a view). Not far to Northstar Resort for skiing.

Inn at the Opera in San Francisco. More like a boutique European hotel.

We did bonus time at Hilton Grand Vacations on the Boulevard in Las Vegas (not a usual stop for us). It was overwhelming with something like 1200 units.