• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Favorite HH Marriott w/kids?

Culli

TUG Member
Reaction score
Trying to go in summer of 2010, what are your favorite hilton head marriotts, I see they have a few of them. Our kids will be 7, 4 and 3.

Thanks in advance.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
One more vote for GO; you can not beat the location to everything on the Island.

jhpetri

TUG Member
Reaction score
Monarch

The Monarch is beach front in Sea Pines. We love this location as all the Sea Pines amenities are a short bike ride away. Yes, it is an older property, but you can't beat the location. Depends what you want. For us....Sea Pines is Hilton Head !

FlyerBobcat

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Trying to go in summer of 2010, what are your favorite hilton head marriotts, I see they have a few of them. Our kids will be 7, 4 and 3. Thanks in advance.

Sea Pines area is nice, for sure. Monarch did not seem overly kid friendly when we were there last summer. Grande Ocean stay allows access to Sea Pines without the $5 fee, and I believe bike passes also.

As you probably know, Surfwatch, Barony, Grande Ocean and Monarch are beachfront. Other Marriotts on HHI are not.

I assume you plan to trade to Marriott HHI for summer 2010? Do others have opinions on how easy that will be in the June/July/August timeframe? :shrug:

AMJ

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I mentioned on another thread started by Culli that exchanging into a Marriott Hilton Head timeshare during the summer would be a very difficult exchange unless using a Marriott week to trade.

Paumavista

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think I'll second Monarch

We've visited all and stayed at Monarch and GO. I love the Sea Pines area. And Monarch has a perfect location.

Our 3 and 4 year olds loved the baby pool at Monarch which I think is a little bigger than GO and it was wonderfully in the shade (although I think both resorts baby pools get shade time). They played there all afternoon while we spent the mornings at the beach and I never worried about "too much" sun.

I also have a 8 & 9 year old who loved using the ping pong table, foosball and shuffle ball (all free at Monarch) we never left the area and they could run from the pool to play a game.

Although the beach area at Monarch can get more crowded because of the beach club next door - it wasn't ever like you couldn't find room...(we were there in July) and the ocean seemed closer than at GO, the boys and I would just run back and forth from the pool to the ocean in the afternoon.

And the Beach Club was a GREAT bonus! - we went for dinner a couple times. Sitting outside listening to this great guy on the guitar, watching the beach, and then walking literally next door to our condo.

Yes, I really like all the OF Marriotts on HH and wouldn't hesitate to recommend any of them...but our favorite now is Monarch.

Judy

sandytoes

TUG Member
Reaction score
As of a couple of weeks ago, we have stayed at all Marriott beach front resorts on Hilton Head (why bother with the others:). They each have their own personality and pros and cons. Here's my opinion of each . . . .

Monarch . . . . one of our favorites . . . actually my favorite going as a couple. It is small intimate and closest to the beach. As stated above by others it is with in the Sea Pines gated community. Being in Sea Pines gives you access to great bike paths under the Spanish moss drenched trees. Meandering though the neighborhoods and lagoons is interesting. The Forest Preserve is also in this area . . . basically an area with a large lake and trails where you will see various wide life . . . alligators, birds, deer and etc. Harbour town is also within this gate. This is an area with a lot of rentals so you will have a lots of vacationers. The units are updated and cozy. The cozy aspect is one reason I might not pick this resort for a family of 5. The units are the smallest of all Marriott's I have stayed in. If memory serves me correct . . . the second bedroom has two twin beds . . . so someone is sleeping on the floor or on the sofa bed. Monarch also seems to have less daily activities and amenities on the property . . . if that is important. IF you are not staying with in Sea Pine, you can gain access by paying $5 each time you enter. Most of the other gated communities on the island are restricted to owners and their gues only . . . you will not be able to get in . . . we tried :)

Grande Ocean . . . . great resort . . . but large! Many buildings and units. The actual units are probably the most spacious of all Marriott's I have stay at and thus gives you more elbow room when traveling with more people. Lots of activities and the pools are very nice too. IT is also very close to the beach and there is a good chance you will be able to see the ocean from your villa. There is an indoor pool but iit s not as nice as the indoor pools of Barony and Surfwatch.

Surfwatch . . . I expected this to be my favorite resort on Hilton Head. While it is first rate as far as the unit and the grounds . . was not impressed with the sprawl and the distance between our unit, the pools, market, exercise room and etc. We stayed in a three bedroom, three bath unit and there was tons of space. Each guest bedroom had two beds (gueens I think). Especially disappointing was the distance to the beach. While I knew this when I made the reservation I though it might actually be an interesting plus. There is a long board walk over the marsh area. If there had been more birds and other wild life the walk would have been interesting . . .the first couple of times. As it was . . .getting to the beach was a chore. The distance from our unit to the start of the board walk was longer then most of the other beach front units distance from unit to beach. I have been told they will drive you in a golf cart if you ask, but that seems like you are inconveniencing someone. My 82 year old Father never made it to the ocean on our most recent trip as he did not want to burden anyone. We always rent bike on Hilton Head. Surfwatch had the worst bikes I have ever rented . . anywhere . . . .rusted and really beat up and making terrible grinding noises when in operation. The attendant was not at the shop during posted hours. He had to be hunted down as he had several job titles. On the plus as I stated before . . . the grounds are pretty. The indoor pool is the best of all Marriott indoors pool I have seen. We thought that if the resort was really crowed during the summer months, the out door pools might be a little crowed as there is only one out door pool near the units. The second outdoor pool is at the end of the boardwalk by the beach. I would say this resort is best for those who like more seclusion and will only be going to the beach a couple of times. It is the newest of all the Hilton Head Marriott's and a pretty resort.

Barony Beach . . . huuummm . . . . I liked this resort. I did not expect to like it . . .not sure why. The units were nice and spacious. Unless you have ocean front . . .most units will not see the ocean as there are lots of trees in the way. It is very easy to get to the beach. Being on "the heel" of the foot shaped island was an unexpected good location. You are close to the "local's amenities" . . . restaurants (Franky Bones is delicious), grocery stores Harris Teeters- my favorite, Publixs, Bi-Low and regular stores like Walmart, drugs stores, the post office and lots more. It is also the easiest stay for getting on and off the island (with no tolls) if outlet shopping or site-seeing in Savannah, etc is your thing. There is a quaint area called "Main Street" a short drive away . . . looks like a "Main Street" with little shops. At the resort, there are nice amenities including an indoor pool. If you are into spas . . .(who isn't?) and can afford the fees . . .the big catch . . there is an on site spa for massage and other wonderful indulges . . . can't give a first hand report but I would say it would be hard to have a bad massage. This resort is close to the best shelling on the island. While you can find shells near the resort . . . a short beach bike ride will take you to where the "real gold" of shelling lies . . . I won't give up the secret but with patience, good eyes and perfect timing (just gave you all good clues . . . think tides) you should have no problems finding large (6 to 8 inch long) conch shells. To me this resort is good for those who like to "play" on the beach as opposed to just sitting (which you can do). The resort outdoor amenities are not as spectacular as say Grande Ocean (it is smaller in size) but they are nice. There is one oddity to this resort but I am not sure if it is a negative or just an oddity. The resort is located next to the Westin. Most of Barony is on one side of the Westin. There are one or two building however, that are on the other side of the Westin. Since I did not really investigate these buildings I can not give an opinion. I think there is a private pool for these building but I did not verify. The bike rental is in this area. The bikes here (unlike Surfwatch) are well cared for and the attendant makes sure they are functioning properly and are adjusted to your height before you take off.

Bottoms line . . . with young children . . . I would pick Grande Ocean or Barony. As a couple not wanting to be in the thick of the crowds, I would pick Monarch or Barony. As someone who just want to get away from it all and be surrounded by a peaceful, nice setting then maybe it would be Surfwatch (forgot to mention Surfwatch has fishing ponds. You can rent poles to go catch and release fishing in their pond. Surfwatch is a good take a book and veg out resort.

Now that I have given my 2 cents I am sure others will have differing 2 cents. Bottom, "bottom line" . . . if you are on Hilton Head, you can't go wrong . . .enjoy.

FlyerBobcat

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
As of a couple of weeks ago, we have stayed at all Marriott beach front resorts on Hilton Head (why bother with the others:). They each have their own personality and pros and cons. Here's my opinion of each . . . .

Very nice write-up... I can't wait 'til my 4th of July week at MGO!!!

Kenrabs

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We've only been to Grande Ocean and it's a good choice. Lots of activities and great location and property.

1st Class

TUG Member
Reaction score
We've only been to Barony in a Garden Unit. I'm told these units have more sq footage than the others. Loved the size, location and peacefulness away from the hustle and bustle of the main pool. Kids activities seem to be plentiful.

On another note, I just saw that we've been assigned an oceanside unit this summer. I know this is the location that most prefer, but does anyone know if there is any chance that I could switch at check-in to a garden unit?

Culli

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow great replies thanks, I have my request in and agree with AMJ I doubt a Marriott is even possible, actually will be tough to get anything in that time frame at HH...might have to find a rental. But I guess you can always try, and thanks to this post I know what priorities I have for searching out a rental, if I don't get a trade. Thanks everyone for the great replies very helpful, now just have to wait for summer of 2010. With the -25 deg and -40 windchill we just got done with, I can't wait for summer of 2009:wall:

bwenzel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Barony Gardenview Units

Another plus when having a large family and occupying a gardenview unit at Barony is the quiet, large pool. While you can always go to the oceanview/oceanfront side and use the other three pools, you have one to yourself and no fighting for chairs. Also only Barony gardenview units have two master bathrooms each with a spa tub. Me better half really like that!:D

Culli

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok to prove I didn't post and run!!!!!!! I put in a request and to be honest don't know much about HH. I know that HH much less Marriott is a very difficult trade for Summer. I did however get the Marriott's Harbour Point at Shelter Cove in a 2br for July 2010.

At the time of travel our kids will be 7,5 and 3 so my question is should I be happy and just shut up and take it (as AMJ mentions pretty tough trade into HH with Marriott) or is this not a good fit and although nice to be in HH for summer we might want to hold out for something else or even just pass? The reviews on Tug are not glowing for this resort and it seems to be best for adult only trips...will a family of 5 be out of place here?

We have never been to HH and I think our family is pretty flexible and can have fun anywhere. As mentioned by Sandytoes "Bottom, "bottom line" . . . if you are on Hilton Head, you can't go wrong . . .enjoy" However, I do want to stay at a nice place for the family especially since this is not a last minute trade.

Thanks again for all your input I only have 24hrs to decide to keep it or not.

ldanna

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow great replies thanks, I have my request in and agree with AMJ I doubt a Marriott is even possible, actually will be tough to get anything in that time frame at HH...might have to find a rental. But I guess you can always try, and thanks to this post I know what priorities I have for searching out a rental, if I don't get a trade. Thanks everyone for the great replies very helpful, now just have to wait for summer of 2010. With the -25 deg and -40 windchill we just got done with, I can't wait for summer of 2009:wall:

Are you looking only for 2010 or 2009 is in your plans? If yes, you should check Flexchange everyday early by the morning. Maybe you will find something if you can arrange a trip on short notice.

Culli

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are you looking only for 2010 or 2009 is in your plans? If yes, you should check Flexchange everyday early by the morning. Maybe you will find something if you can arrange a trip on short notice.

Only 2010 and I'm not a Marriott owner (yet at least). Not sure what Flexchange is but got the week using II ongoing search. I'm thinking I got lucky and I'm going to keep the week. Going with the philosphy that how can you can wrong with staying at HH in July?

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Grande Ocean for kids their age. Definitely. :hi:

Culli

TUG Member
Reaction score
Grande Ocean for kids their age. Definitely. :hi:

Got Harbour Point and yes decided to keep it. I'm sure I will love HH and end up buy a week or two there at one of Marriotts resorts!!!

Thanks everyone again for your help, I think we will enjoy the resort and realize no way was I going to get one of the "flagship" Marriott resorts in summer with a trade. Heck I feel lucky this came through and can't wait to go to HH for the first time.