• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Fantastic article about Timeshare ownership - Is it worth it?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Last edited:

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
yes, i asked about that...apparently the post is pretty stringent on their rules about links and such, it should also be published on nerdwallet with the link to the site later this week...she did say she put in a request to have the link added to the post's version but was not optimistic.

bluehende

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Darn I cann't get through the pay wall.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
The Author is supposed to be giving me a new published link on Thursday that wont have any paywall (and include a link to TUG).

il be sure to share that one and include it in the newsletter this weekend!

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Author is supposed to be giving me a new published link on Thursday that wont have any paywall (and include a link to TUG).

il be sure to share that one and include it in the newsletter this weekend!
Hopefully there is comment availability to advertise this site and all that can be good in timesharing.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe, this spin about TUG will add 1% more members to the TUG website.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
eh, without a link its not likely to turn into much at all unfortunately.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
eh, without a link its not likely to turn into much at all unfortunately.
Just helping one person is huge. I am sure it will still help a few when they search for tug because of the article.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is great actually! Love to see some positive articles, tired of all the old horror stories.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
yes, it is sad how rare it is to see a positive timeshare story in the news :/

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
See, more fake news! ;) Well, the negative stories are probably true, but, by never presenting (or rarely) the positive side, it leaves an impression that there is no happy timeshare owner. We know this is not true, so, finally some balance!

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
+1 @TUGBrian

To a certain extent, the scammer stories benefit the developer because it scares people so they will buy from them because they are "reputable." This is what drove our first purchase from the developer - we had not found TUG, knew it was complicated so "Didn't know what we did not know" for our first toe in the water.

I find it amazing how the travel bloggers who game every complicated travel point for minimal gain run away from timeshares.

Resale loss is our gain...Herd mentality.

Last edited:

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just hang around Tug and ask your questions. If you stay away from developer purchases, and only buy resale as the article states, it's far more likely you will agree they are a great value. Do your research on any particular property you might consider, learn about how that system works for trading, etc. But learn before you buy.

JudiZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is this the woman Brian mentioned a few months ago? This article is stellar!

I always smile when I read about people buying from the developers - I had a friend who bought HGVC in Orlando (probably ten years ago) when her flight was cancelled due to a storm delay. When she came back, I urged her to rescind but she said she and DH loved it. All these years later, she is still one of the happiest timeshare owners I know. She has gotten every pennies' worth in her mind and that's all any of us really want, isn't it?

Judi

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
I believe so. This is the same article that was in the Washington Post earlier this week. Hopefully, they will allow this site to be linked in the comments as the Washington Post wouldn’t. It’s such a great resource. I have learned so much in my couple of months here!

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
Our grown son thinks it is very funny that his in-laws, he and his wife's co-workers and friends all think we are quite well to do because of the the places we stay and how often we go with our timeshares. 17 years of owing timeshares and no regrets. Well one regret. I wish resale was as safe back when we first bought as it is now. Thanks to TUG, the internet, eBay, etc. buying resale now can be cheap, easy and worry free.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our grown son thinks it is very funny that his in-laws, he and his wife's co-workers and friends all think we are quite well to do because of the the places we stay and how often we go with our timeshares. 17 years of owing timeshares and no regrets. Well one regret. I wish resale was as safe back when we first bought as it is now. Thanks to TUG, the internet, eBay, etc. buying resale now can be cheap, easy and worry free.

Yes, we've had that same issue, because of where we travel, it is assumed we have 10 times the money we do. That by itself tells you something about timeshares...

aandmrun

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
This was the result of a very nice phone interview that I did with Liz Weston a couple of weeks ago. I always talk a mile a minute when I talk "timeshare talk" because we have had such great vacations in the past 20+ years. So I am happy that she used some of my points in this article. Thanks, Brian, for affording us the opportunity to get in contact with Ms. Weston. (Yes, I am Angie McCaffery).