• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Famed USS Enterprise Takes Its Final Voyage

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Famed USS Enterprise Takes Its Final Voyage - by The Associated Press/ News/ NPR.org

I did a tour of the Enterprise during Fleet Week when I lived in Seattle. What an amazing Aircraft Carrier - the size is enormous - it's the largest ship in the Fleet.

She served our country well in a number of conflicts. Thanks to all the sailors and officers who maintained the tradition of excellence.

Richard

Clemson Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
It will be the first nuclear carrier to be retired.

One of the saddest things I think in naval ship history was the decision to scrap the WWII Enterprise (CV6). It was the most decorated and battle tested carrier of the war and I wish it still existed as a museum today.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
The ship left Norfolk,VA this week and it was built by Newport News Shipbuilding, located in Newport News, VA.

HatTrick

Reaction score

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It will be the first nuclear carrier to be retired.

One of the saddest things I think in naval ship history was the decision to scrap the WWII Enterprise (CV6). It was the most decorated and battle tested carrier of the war and I wish it still existed as a museum today.

I agree.

I've always regretted not taking the opportunity to do a tour of the USS Missouri when I was in Seattle and the USS Missouri was docked at Bainbridge Island. I think she's now a museum ship at Pearl Harbor.

Richard

HatTrick

Reaction score
I've always regretted not taking the opportunity to do a tour of the USS Missouri when I was in Seattle and the USS Missouri was docked at Bainbridge Island. I think she's now a museum ship at Pearl Harbor.

MightyMo.jpg

As seen from the Arizona Memorial.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Slight correction, Richard. Enterprise is/was the "longest" ship in the fleet, (by 31 feet), but USS Nimitz (CVN-68) displaced more tonnage, so is technically "bigger."

Enterprise: Length: 1123 ft
Beam: 257 ft
Displacement: 93,284 long tons

Nimitz: Length: 1092 feet
Beam: 252 feet
Displacement: 100,000 long tons

Nitpicking, perhaps, but it's a point of pride among Nimitz sailors. I served on Nimitz for four years during my 20 year Navy career. :D

Still, it's a bit sad to see the Big E retire after such an illustrious career.

Dave

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HatTrick,

Thanks for the pics. They're great. I love the pic of the Enterprise, Long Beach, and Bainbridge in the Mediterranean.

Richard

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Slight correction, Richard. Enterprise is/was the "longest" ship in the fleet, (by 31 feet), but USS Nimitz (CVN-68) displaced more tonnage, so is technically "bigger."

Enterprise: Length: 1123 ft
Beam: 257 ft
Displacement: 93,284 long tons

Nimitz: Length: 1092 feet
Beam: 252 feet
Displacement: 100,000 long tons

Nitpicking, perhaps, but it's a point of pride among Nimitz sailors. I served on Nimitz for four years during my 20 year Navy career. :D

Still, it's a bit sad to see the Big E retire after such an illustrious career.

Dave

Dave,

Thanks for the correction. Not nitpicking at all.

By the way, I met a Navy vet last week who is the late Admiral Nimitz's cousin.

Best regards,

Richard

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
The new Navy is still very impressive. I toured the USS New York on its commissioning day - a multi-function vessel able to launch and receive fixed planes, helicopters, hovercraft, and fast side boats to support its Marine attachment.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The new Navy is still very impressive. I toured the USS New York on its commissioning day - a multi-function vessel able to launch and receive fixed planes, helicopters, hovercraft, and fast side boats to support its Marine attachment.

Some may not be aware that the USS New York was forged from Steel from the World Trade Center.

ussnewyork-commissioning-home.jpg

Richard

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Some may not be aware that the USS New York was forged from Steel from the World Trade Center.

ussnewyork-commissioning-home.jpg

Richard

And the Arlington has steel from the I-beams of Pentagon and the Somerset has steel of the crane used in the recovery of material from the Flight 93.

Added info: the commissioning of the New York was almost delayed due to high water level on the Mississippi River. The ship was delayed in leaving its perth north of NOLA by high water in the Fall just weeks before the commissioning. Both the ship's captain and the ship builder's manager where in the crow's nest with a stick making sure there was enough clearance of its structure under the one bridge in New Orleans. It made it by a couple of inches during low tide on that Saturday morning - to much relief of everyone, as a damaged superstructure would not have looked good in New York City and on the news.

Last edited:

HatTrick

Reaction score
Thanks for the pics. They're great. I love the pic of the Enterprise, Long Beach, and Bainbridge in the Mediterranean.

I've always loved that photo, too. I'm old enough to remember this National Geographic issue when it came out in '65...

National%20Geographic%20Feb%2065.jpg

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
By the way, I met a Navy vet last week who is the late Admiral Nimitz's cousin.

Apropos of nothing at all, my best friend, who married my wife and I, is Jimmy Doolittle's grandson. My wife and I try to keep an eye on his dad, Jimmy's son John Doolittle, now that he's aging and lost his wife last year. The Doolittle family has kind of adopted us (wife and I), and we call him "papa John".

I met Jimmy Doolittle many times before his death in 1993. He was a great American.

Thanks for the information about the Enterprise, Richard.

-Bob

Phill12

TUG Member
Reaction score
My air squd was on the America in 1969-70 in Nam and at the time was said to be the largest non-nuc carrier. It was on the east coast and my one regret was it never came to N.Ca. I wanted to take my daughter on it to see where I spent 91/2 months.:shrug:

PHIL